Joined 4968 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Polish, Latin, Ancient Greek, Russian

Message 9 of 21
04 January 2014 at 1:21am | IP Logged 
So on my side we have

and on the opposing side we have

So why do I feel so scared?

My men are reporting a very strange phenomenon. It seems that there must be some strange property in the
air within the Castle of Anki, for my men insist that many of the Spanish opponents who appeared quite dead
yesterday have come back to life and rejoined the battle. However, with the help of my aerial division I have
managed to knock out several hundred more of the enemy today.

On another note, I listened to several more chapters of En llamas and I watched an episode of La Rosa
de Guadalupe
. This adds up to around 2 hours of listening comprehension.

Edited by Amerykanka on 04 January 2014 at 1:28am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4968 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 10 of 21
07 January 2014 at 2:42am | IP Logged 
First Polish study of the year! Yippee! Details below.

Spanish
I eliminated 600 more Spanish flashcards (not counting ones that I reviewed, but that will be showing up
again tomorrow). A long fight lies ahead of me yet; over 2,500 Spanish troops still defend the Castle of Anki.
But I am feeling much more encouraged.

I listened to another chapter or so of En llamas. I really like this translation of Catching Fire. I'm no
native speaker, but the language used doesn't sound as forced or Anglicized as the language in the Spanish
versions of Harry Potter does.

I also wrote a few emails in Spanish - the good thing about writing to your Spanish professors (or perhaps the
bad thing, depending on your viewpoint) is that you need to write in Spanish or they will think you don't know
how to.

Polish
After an hour of diligent flashcard review, 600 cards are out of the way for a while. Of course, there are a few
hundred other cards that I reviewed but will be seeing again tomorrow due to my deplorable memory loss.
(And speaking of forgetting things - why on earth could I come up with the words pucołowaty and
mysikrólik but not something simple like podnóżek?) I feel like I have put a dent in my piles of a
Polish reviews, however, so I am feeling happy.

I also listened to 25 minutes of the Real Polish podcast. This was my first time trying it out and I must say I
think it is a good resource, especially since you can control the speed. The actual speed is a bit too slow for
me, but when I put it on 1.5x it is more challenging. I downloaded around 50 episodes and I hope to blow
through them pretty quickly; they are a bit below my level, but I think they will still prove useful. It was nice to
hear some Polish again after a few months without it!

Well, I will conclude by warning everyone not to get behind on their flashcard reviews. Trying to catch up is
not fun!

(Okay, it is kind of fun. And it is also fun to complain about having 8,000+ reviews due. But you didn't
hear that from me!)

Edited by Amerykanka on 07 January 2014 at 2:45am

1 person has voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4968 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 11 of 21
13 January 2014 at 1:59am | IP Logged 
Today is a historic day . . . the Spanish troops have all been sent home, and we have signed a peace treaty that allows them to enter the Castle of Anki in limited numbers for daylong visits.

Many of the Polish troops have also proved quite amicable, with the result that roughly 5,000 of the original 8,000 enemy troops are now eliminated.

I am SO excited that the flashcard problem is mostly resolved. As mentioned above, I have dealt with the Spanish cards after many hours of dedicated reviewing. What a relief!!! I have to finish up with my Polish sentence deck (about 400 cards there) and possibly with my other Polish deck (1000+ cards, uggh). But the most important Polish vocab deck is back under control! I am still scared to look at the Latin decks - that will be this week's task. And of course I have about 250 Italian cards. I will take care of them whenever I start Italian (ideally within the next few weeks).

There are also the Greek paper flashcards which I must also get going with this week, but a few repetitions should do the trick. When it comes to Greek, I am more worried about my rather shaky knowledge of the declensions and conjugations. It feels odd to be memorizing paradigms again; it has been so long since I did any serious memorization of that type, for the Polish and Latin systems are pretty well engrained in my head.

Edited by Amerykanka on 13 January 2014 at 2:00am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4968 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 12 of 21
15 January 2014 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Well, I've taken the plunge. I am proud to introduce my newest language . . . Haitian Creole.

I'm feeling a bit worried about this new acquisition, since I also need to get going with Italian again, but I can't
think of any other solution. I am now 99% sure that I will be going to Haiti for a mission trip in August, and all
my missionary buddies from the Nicaragua trips are counting on me to learn the language and be one of the
interpreters. To be honest, I would have learned some of the language anyway, even if the group leader
hadn't made a point of requesting it. But the point of this rambling is that I now have to deal with 6 languages
this spring. Spanish, Latin, and Greek are school subjects and hence non-negotiable. I need Haitian Creole
for August, and Italian for next spring . . . and since I will finally have a chance to visit Poland sometime next
year, I can't slack on Polish either. Throw in the fact that it would also be nice to know a bit of French (more
than "oui" and "merci" and other such tidbits, that is) for my trips to Haiti and Europe, and I'm beginning to
feel desperate.

However . . . I started with Haitian Creole today, and I love it! I downloaded a bunch of free resources (most
of them with audio); my plan is to see how far these get me and then buy something else if necessary this
summer. Today I studied the first chapter of Ann Pale Kreyol, and, like I said, I loved it! So there is a
silver lining to my cloud of anxiety. :)

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5902 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 13 of 21
15 January 2014 at 9:45am | IP Logged 
Does this mean that the Anki monster is about to get bigger?!
....klaxon sounding....
You're surrounded on all sides.

I don't know how you cope, but I admire your determination!
Powodzenia.

Edited by Mooby on 15 January 2014 at 9:46am

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4968 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 14 of 21
21 January 2014 at 1:23am | IP Logged 
The Anki monster is under control - when it comes to Spanish and Haitian Creole. I think I'm going to have to
surrender to the Polish forces, at least for the time being. I simply don't have enough time to keep up with my
Polish reviews at the moment.

Over the last week I have continued listening to the radio and to Catching Fire in Spanish. I am pleased
to see that my lost listening comprehension skills are making a comeback. I have completed the first two
lessons of Ann Pale Kreyol and started the third lesson. As for Greek, I have reviewed all the verb
conjugations that I know and all the pronouns, and I have been reviewing my flashcards.

I organized my Italian resources, so hopefully Italian will be appearing soon.

School starts again on Wednesday, so the frequency of my posts is likely to decrease. I will try to continue
posting, but I am surrounded on all sides!

Amerykanka
Hexaglot
United States
Joined 4968 days ago

657 posts - 890 votes 

Message 15 of 21
10 June 2014 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Well. Wow. I thought that I would at least be able to post a few times during the spring semester, but
apparently not. This is why I thought it best not to join a team - I don't want to be letting anyone down by my
prolonged absences.

My inactivity on HTLAL does not mean that I haven't been studying languages. I have made quite a bit of
progress in Greek, Latin, and Spanish, and Haitian Creole is now coming along nicely. Polish has made a few
guest appearances.

This summer I will be focusing on Haitian Creole and brushing up on Latin and Greek. I don't have any
specific plans for my other languages, but I am going to be tutoring Spanish - that should be enough contact
to maintain my current level until after my Haiti trip in 7 weeks.

I am still busy (with my job, my language studies, and the rest of my life), so I doubt that I will be posting
much this summer. But I am still going strong and I wish everyone else good luck!

Mooby
Scotland
Joined 5902 days ago

707 posts - 1219 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Polish

Message 16 of 21
10 June 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Witam serdecznie!
Great to hear from an original Żubr teammate, and that your language studies are going well. Are you postponing Italian?

Edited by Mooby on 10 June 2014 at 11:29pm

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version