2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 9 of 40
25 January 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
js6426 wrote:
For listening I will be
watching my collection of Chinese Disney DVDs, listening to podcasts, and making use of various different Youtube
listening resources.

I'm jealous! :) Disney and Pixar make up a big portion of our collection and it's usually running in the background thanks to my kids. I probably know most of the films by heart! Ours have English, German and Turkish. I think they should come with more audio options so we can have them running in all our target languages!

Edited by Sunja on 25 January 2014 at 5:26pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 40
26 January 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
Sunja wrote:
js6426 wrote:
For listening I will be
watching my collection of Chinese Disney DVDs, listening to podcasts, and making use of various different Youtube
listening resources.

I'm jealous! :) Disney and Pixar make up a big portion of our collection and it's usually running in the background
thanks to my kids. I probably know most of the films by heart! Ours have English, German and Turkish. I think they
should come with more audio options so we can have them running in all our target languages!

Well if you know anyone who is taking a trip to China, then I would totally advise getting some! When you order
them on Chinese Amazon they are incredibly cheap, the only problem is they won't ship out of China! I love them
because the dubbing is so good, totally unlike non-animated films! Turkish would be interesting I imagine!
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5879 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 11 of 40
26 January 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
All our films have a Turkish audio option but I'm not really learning it at the moment -- to bad! That's okay, I have a really long way to go before I can understand films in Mandarin. That gives me plenty of time to look around :)

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 12 of 40
01 February 2014 at 9:44am | IP Logged 
1/2/2014 -

新年快乐!! Happy Chinese New Year to all! This week has been a fairly good week. I have learnt new vocab in both
Mandarin and Khmer. I am continuing to go slowly through the grammar book, and today I learnt how to say
'within' when talking about a period of time - 以内. I am into chapter 6 of the grammar book, but there are 59
chapters so I am taking it nice and slow as and when I have the time. I am also putting all of the constructions into
my anki deck in MCD form, even the most basic ones. I am also still watching 中国达人秀 to improve my listening,
and I do feel some small progress is being made. I have only learnt 10 new characters so far this year as I am really
not focusing on them right now (outside of my anki deck), listening is far more important to me at this stage. All in
all I feel the first month has gone quite well, I am pleased with the steady progress I am making and hope to keep a
similar pace throughout the year.

Unfortunately I have been too busy to get anything done on the Khmer book I am working on yet, but there is still
plenty of time left in the year, and it may well be a project I hit hard during my holiday.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 13 of 40
09 February 2014 at 11:55am | IP Logged 
9/2/2014 - Well this week has been a terrible one for languages. All I have really managed to get done is my anki
decks. Hopefully next week won't be as busy and then I might have some more to say in my log! Tonight I hope to
watch Dumbo in Chinese with my wife (if my son will sleep for long enough)!

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 14 of 40
15 February 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
15/2/2014 - Again not a great week so not a huge amount to add. On top of anki. Watched Dumbo last week and
Wreck it Ralph this week. Could pick up bits and pieces, but didn't get most of it. Next week I will try and find a
song to translate for the team challenge for Mandarin. Studied some new vocab this week for both Chinese and
Khmer, and it has gone into my anki decks. I am also going to try and start adding sentences to my deck now, or
maybe start a new deck using MCBs. For the simpler vocabulary such as
nouns my deck is fine, but I find that I struggle with getting the context right for some words. I wish I had used
sentences from the start, but there is no point in dwelling on that now! Hopefully my use of words in the correct
context will improve from using this method. Other than that I just have to keep on listening to as much native
material as possible I think.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 15 of 40
23 February 2014 at 12:36pm | IP Logged 
23/2/2014 - Completed the Feb team challenge for Mandarin. I found it quite difficult, but here is my attempt at
translating a Chinese song (no corrections added):

走 陪我走了那么久      &nb sp;     Walk, walked with me that long
越来越像朋友                     more and more like a friend
我为什么不放手      &nb sp;        Why can't I let go?
想留没有更好的理由     &nb sp;    Can't think of a better reason to stay
因为渴望自由                      Because I want freedom
这次你决不回头      &nb sp;        This time you can't turn around
你想走我想留                You want to go I want to stay
曾经的温柔       &nb sp;       Once gentle
到最后谁也带不走              In the end nobody could lead you
我为了你为了你什么都放弃       For you for you I would give it all up
想忘了你忘了你彻底都忘记       Want to forget you completely forget you
流过血的伤口到底能疼多久       Blood flowing from the wound, in the end it hurts for so long
你我成了不见面的朋友              You and me have become friends that never meet
永远都你我的好老婆!      You will always be my good wife

This week was tough because my son hasn't been sleeping too well and so I haven't had much motivation to study.
However, today I made some small flashcards for characters which I am going to carry around in my pocket. I have
decided to leave writing for the time being and focus just on reading, as this will hopefully boost my reading ability
much more quickly, and from that it will be easier for me to pick up new vocabulary. Right now I am going through
the HSK lists for characters I don't know, and then I will be adding them into my Anki deck. Still haven't started my
MCB deck, but i'm sure i'll get round to it at some point! My anki decks are all up to date for this week, and I
watched some China's Got Talent. Hopefully soon I will also get a Chinese teacher for an hour a week or so. I heard
yesterday through a friend about a lady who lived in China for 8 years, and she really wants to learn Khmer, so we
might do language exchange and teach each other an hour each. While this won't be teaching from a native
speaker, I still think it will be helpful for me to have someone on hand who can explain things in English, and it will
also be someone to practice with. The only trouble is fitting it into my schedule! Watch this space!
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 16 of 40
23 February 2014 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
What's the name of the song? Cam it be found on youtube? :)

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version