Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 33 of 40
24 June 2014 at 5:05am | IP Logged 
24/6/2014 - Not much to report on the Chinese front. I finished chapter 14 of the Khmer book which has me super
excited! On Thursday morning I will be meeting with some people to record some of the audio, although we won't
get it all done then. I also have some Khmer teachers who are going to be using the book to teach from so I will get
some feedback from that and hopefully continue to improve it. Next week I am going to be in Taiwan for a week so
that should be a good opportunity to practice some Chinese too!
1 person has voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 34 of 40
12 July 2014 at 7:57am | IP Logged 
12/7/2014 - It was great spending some time in Taiwan. Although the area I was in everybody seemed to speak
English, I still had the opportunity to get some practice in. Understanding was definitely the biggest struggle. I felt
like I learned a ton in a short space of time though, and so for me I really feel like immersion and having the chance
to practice are key. I don't want to use that as an excuse, but I think progress would be much faster somewhere
where I was forced to speak Chinese everyday, and was constantly hearing it. Creating that environment is difficult
where I am right now for various reasons, and so I shall just power on and keep slogging away at it slowly but
surely! I am taking a break right now so I have some more time for Chinese, although my wife has just gotten
pregnant again and our son is 8 months old, so my family comes first as usual!

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4641 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 35 of 40
13 July 2014 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
Congratulations on the baby!
2 persons have voted this message useful

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 36 of 40
27 July 2014 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
Thanks Kuji!

27/7/2014 - Well I am just continuing to potter along at my own pace. Started learning characters again when I
have the time. I figure learning characters is something I can do really effectively wherever I am, and so I might as
well make the most of that opportunity and learn characters, and then I can start using books to build my vocab and
hopefully get more out of watching movies etc. I will continue to practice speaking and listening as much as
possible also, but I have hardly touched characters at all this year and I think it would be most beneficial to do that
right now.

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 37 of 40
11 August 2014 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
11/8/2014 - Unfortunately I have done next to no Chinese since my last update. However, I have a good reason! I
have been doing a ton on the Khmer book, and now have all the audio recorded by native speakers. I have been
through and done another edit of content and spelling, and so the next step is to have some Cambodians go
through and check all the spelling is ok, which should be getting started this week. Then I have to get together with
my friend who recorded the audio and edit it all out. The cover is being worked on over the next couple of weeks
also. Getting really close to finishing now, and my goal of finishing the book this year looks like it should be
achieved! I am thrilled and excited, and this definitely eases the pain of not having touched Chinese!

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 38 of 40
01 September 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
1/9/2014 - The book has now been edited by Cambodians, so I need to make the appropriate changes to the
electronic version. Last week we sat down and edited all the audio that we had recorded, so now the audio for the
entire book is finished and ready to be used. I need to go through and listen back to it all one final time to make
sure it matches the text of the book. Again I haven't done much Chinese, but the book is coming on well and I am
excited by that!

js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4314 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 

Message 39 of 40
01 December 2014 at 4:15am | IP Logged 
Wow I haven't been on here for ages. Looks like my team threads died, as has my log. Haven't touched Chinese as I
have been busy with my son and my wife is pregnant again. However, the final copy of the Khmer book is being
printed today, and so one of my goals for the year has been completed!

SomeGuy
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4894 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 40 of 40
15 December 2014 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Congratulations on the new baby : )
Any more info about your Khmer Course ?

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version