Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 89 of 161
03 July 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Yep, "Welcome" :) -- I hope you have a very good time.

Edited by mrwarper on 03 July 2014 at 2:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 90 of 161
16 August 2014 at 9:41pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to everyone. It is time to start writing about the experience. I returned almost two weeks ago but I am really busy with my studies and so on. I will need time to write everything that is on my mind.

So, what can you look forward to, in no particular order (and without any promises as to when):

1. release of my autenthic thoughs in Spanish writen in Spain. As usual, I was unable to keep a proper diary. But I've got a few pages to share.

2. an overview of the experience and especially my progress with the language

3. a list of new Spanish resources, some of which I've already used, others are on my list as they were highly recommended to me. Books, tv series, a blog or two, music.

4. a review of my experience and advice on how to prepare yourself for a similar stay abroad in the language, including my successes and failures. I wish everyone had such an opportunity!

5. a few afterwards thoughts on Spain, the Spaniards, Spanish and so on. It really was an adventure. the last part was the journey home, including getting lost in the central french countryside ;-)

My further plans for the weeks to come and the rest of the year:
-Three weeks of hell to survive at the university. No idea whether I'll make it.
-Than probably two weeks of holidays interrupted by bureaucracy (either for next year at university or for beginning to find a job suitable for a useless person like me) and during those, I will read a lot. A lot. I am looking forward to moving my SC counts significantly.
-After that, I will dive into German, one of my souvenirs is a real Assimil El Alemán book. And I need to cover my Spanish grammar gaps. And who knows what else.
-I will surely find time for Swedish before the year ends, I just have no idea when.

During the two "holidays weeks", I will as well finally dive into (not only) my teammates' logs as I am dying of curiousity concerning what all of you have been up to. I just cannot get there now because it would take far more time than I can spare now. But I am thinking of you all and I hope you're having a great time and progressing well towards your goals both in languages and elsewhere. And that you are enjoying a less rainy summer than me ;-)

Edited by Cavesa on 16 August 2014 at 9:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 91 of 161
20 August 2014 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Time to adress one of those promised points. I will start with number 3, the list of newly encountered resources:

Tv series recommended to me (all available on rtve.es, if I remember correctly):
Cuéntame cómo pasó.
Gran Reserva
Isabel

Tv series that caught my attention in a dvd store but I'll need to get them from abroad:
Angel o demonio
luna-el misterio de calenda

Books:
a blog about books: viajes de tinta on blogspot
Laura Gallego-fantasy author recommended to me
El Fin de Los Suenos by Gabriella Campbell and José Antonio Cotrina: original Spanish scifi I found in a bookstore
El Reino del Norte by José Javier Esparza: historical novel set in Asturias! And obviously a bestseller or an awaited book. Or just a one with good PR, true.
authors that caught my interest in a bookstore (most likely historical novels or fantasy): Pedro Santamaria, Donna Leon, Christian Galvez, Lola p.Nieva
I brought home as well Neurociencia by Purves and others, translated from English but I saw some interesting original books in the medical books bookstore as well.

Music:
Cadena Dial and Cadena 100 are among the radios focused on contemporary Spanish music
yes.fm is an awesome ipad app
musicians and bands:
Nena Daconte (try her Tenía tanto que darte, preferably original and not acoustical version, or Disparé)
Coti (Nada fue un error is an awesome, catchy song. I prefer the version with two female voices added to the male singer)
Efecto Mariposa
Zenntric (Solo quiero bailar)
Pablo López (a little bit too sweet for me but popular in Spain)
Julieta Venegas
El Canto del Loco
M-Clan
Mr.Kilombo
Enrique Iglesias: well known but right now, whole Spain is singing along his Bailando
I heard a few more groups at a festival: Naive New Beaters, Dorian, djs Nasty Mondays, Ikki, Hugo Le-Loup

Edited by Cavesa on 21 August 2014 at 12:08am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 92 of 161
21 August 2014 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
SC Updates hoarded during the last two months:

SC Spanish movies:
Malefica, I loved the movie!
El extraordinario viaje de T.S.Spivet, very funny and clever
3 episodes of Los demonios de da'Vinci, I like the series but there are better ones
1 episode de Un Mundo sin fin, as I left Spain, I have no easy access to more episodes
+4 movies

ASCR French movies:
Thor 2-I really liked it
Xmen (the newest movie)-not that awesome, I had expected more from it
Les dents de la nuit: an original french comedy with the vampire theme! Awesome! It is a little bit older but I really liked it and even laughed at times (silently. only few movies make me laugh out loud).
+3 movies

ASCR French books:
CH.Harris: Pire que la mort +4,1
I love the series and it is time to switch it into Spanish from book 9 on. It has taught me quite a lot of everyday expressions and contemporary language I have trully heard from natives or in other native media sources, the translator did a really good job here, I didn't enjoy it any less than the original a few years ago. Sure, it may be a little bit too much chick lit for many but I believe it is still one of the few worth reading in the genre. And fortunately, the tv series True Blood, which followed the plot precisely during season 1, gets further and further from the books so that you can enjoy both the books and the tvseries on their own. ;-)

(It doesn't look like that much but I cannot count in the hours of Spanish immersion in Spain which were many!)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 93 of 161
21 August 2014 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Count update:
ASCR: French: movies 151,5! Less than one quarter of the challenge to go!
ascr fr books: 86,6/200. Lots to read but I have now read more in French for the challenge than in English (still at 86,2)

SC Spanish: movies: 18,5/100. books still at 0

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 94 of 161
21 August 2014 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
I almost forgot!!!

to the list of recommendations:
Minotauro is a publisher focusing on fantasy,scifi etc. And, as an awesome girl in the lab told me, they are a guarantie of high quality!
When googling them, I got to this interesting review site and their section for weirdos like me:
http://www.planetadelibros.com/seleccion-editorial-comunidad -fantasy-56.html
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 95 of 161
21 August 2014 at 12:57am | IP Logged 
Great recommendations for Spanish sci fi and fantasy! Thanks! Now let's see if I can get my hands on any of those
books...

You're doing really well on your French challenge!

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 96 of 161
21 August 2014 at 5:47am | IP Logged 
Wow. You have been busy! I can't wait to hear what you thought of Spain and the Spaniards. As you know I
absolutely love them, they quite literally saved my life and my sanity, but mine were very special
circumstances.

Do tell us all about your experiences,:-)

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version