Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 153 of 161
20 December 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
That is the real opposite from what everyone I've heard says, including doctors and
biochemistry textbooks. The key in the commonly taught theory is logical. By not
allowing yourself too long pauses between meals, you are avoiding switch to the
starving mode, which is the panic "oh fellow cells, we're gonna starve, turn
everything into fat!". The time of getting rid of fats comes between the eating time
and the starving phase.

Thanks, I'll try him. :-)

The thing is that some of the usually given advice (smaller portions more often, more
protein etc) works quite fine (even though none of it is universal,there are various
metabolic types of people and the typology is much more complicated than the blood
types and such things). I started to eat more meat and protein in general, which
helped. But still. I cannot just give up pasta :-D But the trouble is that the
theories really don't tell me what to do when I am studying for exams and I'm awake
between 10 am and 4am.

And I had already been skipping breakfast for years and with long pauses between
meals. Didn't work well.

I think the main problem is that with the day rhytm I am forced to somehow keep and
struggle with (going to school so early etc while studying in the night because I
cannot properly focus during the day), I am tired all the time and I eat worse than I
would like to. I don't drink soft drinks and so on but I eat some sweets to get my
mood up. But I cannot just freely experiment with food as any more reason to be even
more tired and get even worse moods is severely jeopardizing my studies. And a diet
change, even a positive one, can make one tired in the beginnings

Gemuse, thanks, I appreciate it, sis ;-)

So, today, I did some Assimil and I've completed lesson 53 passive and lesson 7
active. I really like the review dialogues, they make all the 7th lesson more
cheerful.

By my approximate counts, I'm gonna need to read 70 pages per day next year. Hmm.

And I should start a new log soon as the team threads are already being made.

So, hurray into the grammar books.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 154 of 161
20 December 2014 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
This going against your nocturnal rythm does play havoc with metabolism (you will burn more calories when you are moving around during your peak energy period).

Have you tried cycling around your cycle? If you go to sleep at 4am, then go gradually later and later till you are going to sleep at 4pm.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 155 of 161
20 December 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
That is the real opposite from what everyone I've heard says, including doctors and
biochemistry textbooks. The key in the commonly taught theory is logical. By not
allowing yourself too long pauses between meals, you are avoiding switch to the
starving mode, which is the panic "oh fellow cells, we're gonna starve, turn
everything into fat!". The time of getting rid of fats comes between the eating time
and the starving phase.

Thanks, I'll try him. :-)

I don't think most doctors know that much about diet. It's just not a high priority in studies. I'm vegan and I am constantly amazed by the semi-random advice I get (eat nuts for B12, for instance). The fact that there has recently been a 180 turn around on the idea that fat causes fatness or heart disease is an example of how weak our current accepted wisdom is (or for instance that salt is bad for heart disease).

I think there are two major theories about obesity at the moment - either you are eating too many calories, or you are raising your insulin too much. I am not sure what I believe, but there is a lot of good evidence for the insulin argument. If you check out Jason Fung's videos he does certainly present a lot of evidence - and actually does cure people of Type II diabetes using a dietary approach, which is certainly impressive.

Edited by patrickwilken on 20 December 2014 at 9:09pm

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 156 of 161
20 December 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
This going against your nocturnal rythm does play havoc with
metabolism (you will burn more calories when you are moving around during your peak
energy period).

Have you tried cycling around your cycle? If you go to sleep at 4am, then go gradually
later and later till you are going to sleep at 4pm.

Yes, I've tried that with limited success, I've tried 48 hours cycles (basically one
allnighter and one longer sleep) and that works quite nice even thought there are
limits, I've tried getting a few hours of siesta during the day and than sleep
normally just a few hours in the night and that was far worse.

It has been really messing up my life since early childhood. When I entered school, it
got worse as the teachers hated me for coming late quite often. And imagine living
with someone with "normal" biorhytm, that is not fine either (it was one of the
troubles with my previous boyfriend. He was awake during the day and I was awake
during the night).

Really, I could write for far too long about my sleep troubles. The earlier I go to
sleep, the longer I stare into the ceiling. Lately, I've had a few nights when I fell
asleep ok but woke up in the night. And I have so real dreams and quite a lot of
nightmares (the funniest one was about me not falling asleep again, even though I was
seen asleep). I could surely do with some change in this area of my life, I'm a zombie
:-D Or a vampire.

Yes, it is impressive if he manages to make people with DM2 eat healthier and fight
the illness. Some doctors approach the issue really terribly.

I'll do some change in diet after the Christmas. I could do with a 5kg loss. At least,
I am keeping the weightloss from last year (7kg) :-)

And I should learn to use the word "really" a little bit less. Really :-D

I think there is only one cure for me (other that becoming a hypnotics addict): find a
job allowing me to work later. But will be a possibility only after graduation, that
is 2018.

About my German: I've been doing some grammar exercises and I have trouble with the
verb order. But I suppose that will settle down when I'll have digested some input.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 157 of 161
20 December 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
Good news, everyone!

I've just tied one of my long term loose ends. I finished last few pages of Gramática by
anaya, level A1/A2. I made a few mistakes in the test autoevaluación, half of them were
caused by "vos", which is something I really haven't ever been paying attention to as I
focus mostly on european Spanish.

So, I've still got gaps and need tons of practice. THe book has been more than useful and
now I can dive into others, already started or still blank.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5126 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 158 of 161
21 December 2014 at 3:26am | IP Logged 
Most of what has been taught by nutritionists, and promoted by governments, throughout the past half century is not only plain wrong, it is actually harmful and has been responsible for the epidemic of obesity throughout much of the first world. It is a good illustration of how dangerous it is for fashionable "scientific" agendas to be forcefully imposed by governments or multinational bodies. Take a look at these articles for example:

The Questionable Link Between Saturated Fat and Heart Disease

The Dirt on Clean Eating

Personally, I do not skip breakfast, but limit carbohydrate intake to a minimum, mostly fruit, opting instead for protein and fats, as I do with lunch. Later in the evening however, if I did weight training earlier that day, I go to town with the carbs. Pizza, cakes, pies, cookies, chips, milhojas, arepas, as much as I can put down my throat, along with protein. The reasoning is that insulin decreases throughout the day, so later in the evening there is a lesser tendency for your body to store food as fat. Also, if there is weight training involved, your muscles will be primed to soak up the nutrients. One way for diabetic patients (who are insulin resistant) to lower blood sugar is in fact to engage in weight training. Finally, these being high-glycemic carbs (the type vilified by nutritionists), by the time you go to bed your insulin levels will have dropped again, thereby allowing growth hormone to be released throughout the night and stimulating lean tissue growth.

I don't know how any of this would apply to women whose hormonal makeup is of course different than that of men, or how insulin levels vary across populations or physical environments. The takeaway is that the body is a complex mechanism where subtle changes can produce significant outcomes. And of course, not to regard the conventional truth as definitive, even if it carries the "scientific" label with it.

Not to make this entirely about matters other than languages and given that I don't have my own blog, I have been reading L'Europe est-elle née au Moyen Âge ? by the great late medievalist Jacques Le Goff and Wittgenstein's works on logic, language and epistemology in German. I've been happy to see my comprehension approaching 100% as I read on, always with a dictionary by my side and looking up any unknown word. I do this with English and Spanish anyway, so the more reason to believe that intensive as opposed to extensive reading is the key.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 159 of 161
24 December 2014 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
Thanks for all the tips, I'll have to look more into this (after Christmas ;-) ). Yes,
it is a little bit more difficult for women (and it is hard to be with a man and not
eat the same portions :-D ). And a good thing: I've ordered a French cookbook. I need
to learn some new meals, something with lots of vegetables and meat etc. And soups!

Well, I am rather against intensive reading, even though I look up a word once in a
(long) while. One teacher made me hate it and I still haven't got over it.

Ona more language related note. I am falling back on assimil, I think two or three
days. Why? I visited Dresden yesterday!

My German is horrible but I can make myself understood in basic situations (such as
apologizing and explaining somehow a little table accident in a cafe, describing what
kind of chocholate do I want and so on). I can understand but not at all the times.
German sounds so much faster than any other of my languages! And I used to think
Spanish was fast!

My boyfriend and I enjoyed the markets, the sightseeing and shopping! I really want a
Primark in Prague. In many places, there were almost more czechs than Germans. A few
german shopkeepers are learning a few Czech words :-D :-D :-D

And we were curious about all the policement and policecars. There were so many. Today
I found out there had been demonstrations in several cities, including Dresden,
against islamisation of Germany. And demonstrations agaisnt those demonstrations.

Thanks for the Le Goff tip, I think that might be a very interesting thing to read.

A few days old ASCR note:
+0,5 French movies: Some episodes of Héro Corp.
Ok, the series is really good. But where is the logic? First two seasons were normal,
25 minutes per episodes. Than there was the bonus season with one 10 minutes long
episodes and 8 per 3 minutes. Or 7 and 1 5 minutes long. Third season includes some
episodes of five minutes, some of 7 minutes length. AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHH! How
am I supposed to count that? I am counting minutes and 45 is half a movie.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 

Message 160 of 161
24 December 2014 at 1:09am | IP Logged 
On a related note: I was feeling very happy in a German bookstore. I didn't bring any dvd
in German (even though I had wanted to) in the end. But I brough a verb books which I
couldn't find in Prague. And I was amazed to see all those courses in German for other
languages. It is a practical language for many learners indeed. There are good looking
courses for the mainstream languages but as well Chinese, Arabic, Turkish, Croatian or
Norwegian. But the German based Assimils have ugly font :-D

This discussion contains 161 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version