Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 9 of 45
31 December 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
I think it's absolutely great to have an English team in this year's TAC!

If you need any pointers on how to study for those advanced language exams, I'd be happy to help. It's already been 10 years since I took IELTS and passed C2, but I still have my preparatory notes lying around in some box or other and remember which skills (apart from pure language knowledge) were helpful. I also took a very interesting phonetics course for my English major and tutored someone to pass the pronunciation exam for British English.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 10 of 45
31 December 2013 at 7:33pm | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
[...]

If you need any pointers on how to study for those advanced language exams, I'd be happy to help. It's already been 10 years since I took IELTS and passed C2, but I still have my preparatory notes lying around in some box or other and remember which skills (apart from pure language knowledge) were helpful. [...]

So you can act as an additional guardian angel for the team. ;-)

I would be eager to hear about your experience with studying at the C2 level. What’s the first piece of advice you think you could share? On what aspect(s) of the language should we concentrate that we might not naturally think of?

Edited by Emme on 31 December 2013 at 7:33pm

yuhakko
Tetraglot
FranceRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4427 days ago

414 posts - 582 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishB2, EnglishC2, Spanish, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Norwegian, Mandarin

Message 11 of 45
01 January 2014 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
@dampingwire : I agree with Emme! if you have the time and motivation to correct our
sentences when they don't sound really natural for an English speaker, that'd be really
nice!

@Druckfelher: Do you remember whether you felt the IELTS was difficult? I passed it as
well 2 years ago without any preparation and got "good" results. All I got from the exam
was that I should work on my active skills as those were my lowest grades (listening:
8.5; reading: 8; conversation: 7.5; Writing: 6,5...). I did feel that this exam did not
reach my expectations..

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 12 of 45
01 January 2014 at 10:15pm | IP Logged 
Both my active skills were at 8.0, reading at 9.0 and listening at 8.5. I didn't think it was all that difficult, I had sat a reading test for native speakers in New Zealand before and that was definitely more challenging. Looking back now, passing IELTS with such high marks when I was 16 seems like a bit of a joke when I think about how much my English skills developed during the past 10 years.

Whatever test you are all planning to take, general test-taking skills are a good thing to boost your mark (or to get the mark you deserve). With IELTS, I remember that skimming and scanning were important for the reading section, because there was no time to actually read all those texts. Also, there were several questions on summarising the main points of a whole text, or a paragraph, so knowing where to find and how to distinguish those was also important (probably not an issue for any of you...). For writing, we worked a lot on sentence and paragraph connectors because that's apparently one thing examiners look for when assessing your ability.

suzukaze
Triglot
Italy
bit.ly/1bGm459
Joined 4397 days ago

186 posts - 254 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, Spanish
Studies: German, French, Swedish, Japanese

Message 13 of 45
03 January 2014 at 11:06pm | IP Logged 
Although I don't plan to take any examination, I'm still interested to improve my English and be a part of this team. I'm going to keep the same log I had last year, I barely used it and I'm studying the same languages so I won't make a new one. The link is http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=35435&PN=1.

I think we should pick a name, it doesn't seem like we have lots of members so we could propose some names in this thread and then vote.

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 14 of 45
04 January 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
Thanks suzukaze for posting the link to your TAC thread!

---

Since we were still missing most links to individual logs, I did a little search and updated the first post of this thread accordingly. I hope I linked to the relevant logs, which I’m not completely sure, especially for those who have several personal journals going at the same time. Let me know if I got it wrong and I’ll try and fix it.

As for a team name, I have absolutely no idea, but I’m certain that someone will come up with something brilliant. So I’ll wait for your proposals.

Are you interested in team activities? I know that some teams organize such activities as a monthly challenge or a Skype session. I’m not likely to take part in the latter (I’m a technophobe — but I’d be more than happy if others decide to go ahead and do them), but I might have a go with the former if the consensus is that they help to build team spirit and to keep us focused on our language goals.

Let’s hear what your opinion is on the role this team must play in your TAC so we can start creating the kind of team that works in our favor for the next twelve months.

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 15 of 45
04 January 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
yuhakko wrote:
@dampingwire : I agree with Emme! if you have the time and motivation
to correct our
sentences when they don't sound really natural for an English speaker, that'd be really
nice!

Judging by what I've read so far I've signed up for a sinecure :-)

I'll try to traipse around the various logs over the next few days.

Good luck to you all.

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3802 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 16 of 45
05 January 2014 at 12:45am | IP Logged 
Interesting to see an English TAC team! But I have to ask, is there really anything for you study? Y'all
are already fluent as the name suggests so where can you go from there? Im not trying to be a downer or
anything, I'm just curious.

Edited by Tollpatchig on 05 January 2014 at 12:45am

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version