Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 33 of 45
10 January 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
To return briefly to the idea of "books entrenched in Anglophone culture", one category
that didn't occur to me until I was reading to my son tonight was, of course,
children's literature.

Most people will have had (at least) some books read to them by their parents and then
perhaps gone on to read for themselves for pleasure. Many parents will then (hopefully)
have read to their own children.

I wouldn't choose to read Roald Dahl for myself, but I did enjoy reading them to my
kids. "The Wind in the Willows", "The Wizard of Oz", "Black Beauty" "The Jungle Book"
and "Treasure Island" were all popular when I was growing up. You might prefer to watch
the films of the TV adaptations though if all you want are the cultural references.

1 person has voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4223 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 34 of 45
12 January 2014 at 11:55pm | IP Logged 
What a great idea for a TAC team! I'll definitely be checking in on this thread to see how it's going from time to time.
As for books, the first things that come to mind are the big ones that you've probably already read or are familiar
with: Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, and more recently Twilight and the Hunger Games.
Thinking back to children's books, some that come to mind are Charlotte's Web, Bridge to Terabithia, Because of
Winn Dixie... More "grown-up" books that i've read recently and enjoyed are The Kite Runner and Water for
Elephants. Then there are classics like The Great Gatsby and Life of Pi. If anyone has a specific genre they're
interested in, i'm sure we could brainstorm books to fit that. Good luck with your studies this year!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5142 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 35 of 45
13 January 2014 at 11:48pm | IP Logged 
Hi Emily96!
It’s very nice of you to take part in our thread! You’re more than welcome to come by any time you like.

RE: children’s literature.
It seems that in the Anglophone world children’s literature has higher status than, for instance, here. Apart from constituting an essential part of the cultural heritage that native speakers share, in the past decade there have even been university courses devoted to it.

In Italy we know the classic fairy tales (‘Snow White’, ‘Cinderella’, ‘Red Riding Hood’, ‘The Little Mermaid’, ‘Puss in Boots’ etc.) and then of course there’s Pinocchio, but that’s about it.

When I was at University I tried to read up on British children’s literature (Alice in Wonderland, Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Wind in the Willows, The Hobbit and that sort of titles) but I didn’t particularly enjoy them. Probably being a young adult with no children in sight made reading those books a disconnected activity from anything that I really cared for at the time.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 36 of 45
22 January 2014 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Better late than never. As my mates from my other teams know, I'm alive and trying to catch up. My log is here, but I don't go on in much detail about English there, as I felt it would be more appropriate to do so here. So here's my story with English, medium length version...

If anyone feels such a text wall would be better back at my own log, please say so and I'll move it there.

I studied English from the last years of primary school and all through high school, totalling seven years. I was always in the head group of my class, and because I trusted the system and myself I was never afraid of reading a book or watching a film or trying to speak to somebody... in English. Hadn't I studied English? Then I should be able to English*, shouldn't I? Well, I had paid attention in my classes, so it turned out I actually was, as confirmed by a few experiences abroad.

Silly me, at the time I regarded the inability of most of my peer's regarding English as 'accidents' that would require just some work to get going. I even ignored how my brilliant college fellows couldn't barely read it properly right before graduation time -- English hadn't been a requirement for us, and all the technical literature we had had to read in English was, linguistically speaking, rather simple. So many people couldn't speak English, yet to me they all were mere, trivial accidents of some kind. Many years later, still in my bubble, I faced the possibility I could have to send my CV to potential employers -- I still thought, 'what am I going to say? everybody speaks English, probably better than me', and I hadn't bothered to get any official qualifications. This was circa 2008.

So, off I went on a mission to get some official qualification. Every mock test for every level I could find (I had finally learned what all those A1...C2 meant) was astonishingly easy, and I became suddenly aware of how few Spaniards speak English at all, let alone at a decent level. Someone suggested, half-jokingly, that if I was so f***ing good at English, why didn't I teach it? I applied for a CELTA course, and that's the first language certification I ever got. Later on I found out that holding a language teaching qualification doesn't imply I'm any good at the language in the eyes of some stupid employers, and I went on to get a B2 and a Cambridge CPE (C2) qualifications with different degrees of recognition.

I taught English for a few years until I became half-sick, half-bored of basically saying in a thousand different ways that black is white and bowing to employer's creeds and, and I got back to private tutoring. Not that I ever left my English unattended (i.e. stopped using it) for long, but now I'm considering teaching it officially, so I thought it could be a good thing to 'pump it up' a bit again... and here I am.

What do I plan to work on? Well, I planned to come here to get some ideas in the first place, so please give me a couple more days for that ;)

*Although I'd like to encourage any knowledgeable person to correct or suggest how to improve my English, please let me say that I know "math", "English", and "godfather" are not verbs :)

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 37 of 45
23 January 2014 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
I was always in the head group of my class

In the UK I think it would be "top group" (although "head of the class" would be quite
natural, but with a slightly different meaning).

mrwarper wrote:
Silly me, at the time I regarded the inability of most of my peer's
regarding English as 'accidents'

No apostrophe in "peers" there, unless you only had one, in which case you'd have to
recast the sentence I think.

mrwarper wrote:
Many years later, still in my bubble, I faced the possibility I could
have to send my CV to potential employers -- I still thought, 'what am I going to say?
everybody speaks English, probably better than me',

"might" sounds better than "could" here to me.

mrwarper wrote:
*Although I'd like to encourage any knowledgeable person to correct or
suggest how to improve my English, please let me say that I know "math", "English", and
"godfather" are not verbs :)

The OED agrees with you about "math", but it does admit "to English" as a verb
(although not with your usage above, which I quite like BTW) and "to godfather" (in
exactly the sense you would expect).

3 persons have voted this message useful

stifa
Triglot
Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4668 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 38 of 45
23 January 2014 at 1:13am | IP Logged 
This sounds like a thread for me! Despite being a second year student at uni here in
the UK, my English proficiency has not developed as I hoped it would... Writing is no
problem at all, neither are the passive skills. My major issue is speaking; I usually
make a mistake in at least every other sentence.

Since I'm applying for placements, this may be a real obstacle if I'm planning on
getting past the interview stage (should I be lucky enough to even reach that stage)...

EDIT:
Zireael wrote:
Any way to find out if there's any accomodations for the disabled? I'm
profoundly hearing-impaired, so taking a normal listening test is out of the
question...

Just keep in mind that you'd have to apply for that at least 6 weeks before the
examination itself, and you'd also need a doctor's note, and it might take a couple of
weeks to get that as well.

Because of my impaired vision, I was granted 25% extra time and the use of a computer.

Edited by stifa on 23 January 2014 at 1:35am

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5021 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 39 of 45
29 January 2014 at 4:14am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
[...]The OED agrees with you about "math", but it does admit "to English" as a verb (although not with your usage above, which I quite like BTW) and "to godfather" (in exactly the sense you would expect).

First, thanks padrino for your corrections :)

Most of the mistakes above just show the retypo effect in action, though -- for a change, I went to sleep instead of re-reading my post after a few minutes. Next time please don't correct me until the post says 'edited' -- I'm not sure how much energy you can spare so hopefully I can help you save some.

The 'English as a verb' part is a pitiful attempt at humour by referencing the "can't math" meme, and how in German one can say stuff like "Ich kann gut Englisch" and totally omit "sprechen" at the end. I think :)

Wrt "godfather" I imagined it could double as a verb, as is often the case with English nouns, but I looked it up and I couldn't find it -- I don't remember where, though. Can the OED be used without registration?

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4460 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 

Message 40 of 45
29 January 2014 at 2:51pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
please don't correct me until the post says 'edited' -- I'm not sure
how much energy you can spare so hopefully I can help you save some.

I'll try to remember, although, since I posted at near midnight I'm don't think it got
in the way of any effective language learning :-)

mrwarper wrote:
Can the OED be used without registration?

I presume not, but head over to oed.com and have a go. I
initially started to use it because I'm a member of my local library and all members
get an OED login (based on the library number). I've just gone and looked up
"godfather" again and it didn't ask for me to re-enter my login details, but they could
be cached ina cookie somewhere. It probably won't work for you, but if it does then
it's a really useful resource if you want something authoritative and also some idea of
how long a word has been around and its etymology.

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version