United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4479 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 9 of 24
03 January 2014 at 4:37am | IP Logged 
Hi JIK. I too am on both Spaß and Lobo! I am very excited to read about your progress!

Viel Erfolg!

Buena Suerte!

1 person has voted this message useful

Warp3
United States
forum_posts.asp?TID=
Joined 5325 days ago

1419 posts - 1766 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean, Japanese

Message 10 of 24
03 January 2014 at 4:40am | IP Logged 
Sure you didn't hit your target, but in my opinion it is still hard to call nearly an hour of
language interaction on an otherwise busy day a "failure". :)

JIK
Diglot
Groupie
Bahrain
Joined 3892 days ago

58 posts - 58 votes 
Speaks: Estonian, English*
Studies: Spanish, German

Message 11 of 24
05 January 2014 at 1:56am | IP Logged 
BaronBill wrote:
Hi JIK. I too am on both Spaß and Lobo! I am very excited to read about your
progress!

Viel Erfolg!

Buena Suerte!

Great! I'll keep an eye on your log as well! :) It's going to be a good year!

JIK
Diglot
Groupie
Bahrain
Joined 3892 days ago

58 posts - 58 votes 

Message 12 of 24
05 January 2014 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Warp3 wrote:
Sure you didn't hit your target, but in my opinion it is still hard to call nearly an hour of
language interaction on an otherwise busy day a "failure". :)

I suppose you do have a point! =)

JIK
Diglot
Groupie
Bahrain
Joined 3892 days ago

58 posts - 58 votes 

Message 13 of 24
05 January 2014 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
Day 4:

Well, today turned out a bit different than I expected, but it was productive nonetheless.

Spanish:
After doing some drills in Anki (something I want to get back into on a daily basis), I decided the past 1.5
months away from Spanish has definitely taken a toll on my Platiquemos vocabulary. As it is, going
through Platiquemos meant trying to memorize an absurd amount of vocab. So, I've decided to knock
myself down a few pegs from unit 21 to unit 17, which is highest unit where I feel comfortable. I started
from there again today. I also watched a bit of Big Bang Theory in Spanish (something I'm always up for
haha!)

German:
I'm struggling a bit with keeping Michel Thomas interesting. I loved it so much in Spanish, but in German
I guess I've just gone over all this material so many times in the past that it isn't gripping me. I'm keeping
at it, but occasionally skipping ahead if things are too painfully easy. I'm now on disk 4. I also decided to
start Assimil in German today, since Michel Thomas is not much of a challenge at the moment. I'll do
them both at the same time and replace Michel Thomas with Pimsleur once I'm done. I imagine Assimil
will last me as long as the other two combined. Anyway, I finished section 1 of Assimil today and started
an Anki deck for German. I suspect I'll be doing 2 units of Assimil per day for the first month or so until it
gets harder.

Another thought I'm having is that I need to try to space them out over the course of each day so I'm not
doing them back to back (which is what I've been doing). I find that doing them back to back means I
can't really get into the flow of either one for long. Maybe German early in the day and Spanish in the
evening? I'll try that tomorrow.

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5772 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 14 of 24
05 January 2014 at 11:03am | IP Logged 
If you're finding Michel Thomas too easy there's no harm in putting it to one side and trying
something else. It can be difficult to figure out where to pick up a language when you
already have some experience. If you are really rusty you might feel like you want to start
from the beginning but then you find some beginners materials paced too slowly.

Have you had a look at the courses available on the Deutsche Welle website yet?

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5137 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 15 of 24
05 January 2014 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
JIK wrote:
[...] Another thought I'm having is that I need to try to space them out over the course of each day so I'm not doing them back to back (which is what I've been doing). I find that doing them back to back means I can't really get into the flow of either one for long. Maybe German early in the day and Spanish in the evening? I'll try that tomorrow.

That sounds like a good idea. It’s quite demanding switching from one TL to another very quickly and our brains usually take a little time to warm-up. ;-)

Anyway, I dropped by to wish you good luck with TAC ’14: we’re in the same team (Lobo) so I’ll be following your progress!

JIK
Diglot
Groupie
Bahrain
Joined 3892 days ago

58 posts - 58 votes 

Message 16 of 24
07 January 2014 at 4:19am | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
If you're finding Michel Thomas too easy there's no harm in putting it to one side and
trying
something else. It can be difficult to figure out where to pick up a language when you
already have some experience. If you are really rusty you might feel like you want to start
from the beginning but then you find some beginners materials paced too slowly.

Have you had a look at the courses available on the Deutsche Welle website yet?

True.. the only reason I'm sticking to it is because there are some things I really struggle with regarding
German grammar and I remember how helpful Michel Thomas was with Spanish grammar structures.. so
I'm making myself do it just in case :) I don't want to miss any golden insights like he gave me in Spanish.
Though, he also has a review disk that speeds through the foundation series, so I might do that!

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version