Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3938 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 33 of 118
18 January 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
It sounds like you're doing really well! I'm impressed with your commitment and how much time you're putting into
languages!
1 person has voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4158 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 34 of 118
20 January 2014 at 1:20am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
It sounds like you're doing really well! I'm impressed with your commitment and how much time
you're putting into
languages!
Thanks Stelle! I appreciate the support! Keeping this log is certainly a way to keep up my
motivation. Good luck with your studies as well!

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4158 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 35 of 118
20 January 2014 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
I didn't log anything yesterday but that doesn't mean I didn't keep up with my goals. I had a late night skype
session and I just forget to log my progress after that. I have to go at this 100% because that's easier than 98%! If
I know I'm going to have problems in the evening catching up after I'm done with studying for the day, I'll just
post in log during the day even though I might be halfway done. No bother, its important for me to just keep this
thing going everyday. This is my progress for Jan 20th only below.

1.) German - My early Saturday mornings usually consist of my log bike ride with friends. I wanted to take a
break from that. I spent my time from 530 ish until about 800 am studying until everybody got up. Most of that
time was on LingQ and my Anki deck which I have 50 new cards and 100 reviews posted on words in just one
podcast. I'm going to master this one podcast and be able to understand every word and then I'll move on to the
next. What great motivation. As a side note, I need my bike ride next time. My day sucked after that because I
kept trying to find a way to push 2 hours in the day to get my ride down but I couldn't pull it off. I made the kids
clean all day instead and they hated that. If I can get my ride in, I generally find ways to be lazy and get more
studying in throughout the day. Consider this next time! I did get my skype call in with my native speaker in the
evening. I really suck at speaking. She can understand me but clearly I can't communicate past the stage of a
kindergartener. When I talk to my German companion in German, I feel like I talk to her like my 4 year old talks to
me in English! Completed duo goals as well.

2.) Spanish - Finished all duo and lingq goals in the AM. This was the limit of my Spanish time since I wanted to
get in the German mindframe for the evening. Finished half of my Anki deck with new increased word list of
specific podcast. Watched "A Good Year" in Spanish. French based movie but in Spanish, kind of interesting. I'll
switch that back to French when I get better in that language.

3.) French - Did not complete Duo goals and got in about 20 min of Pims. Need to get catch up on reading
lessons for French, I am three lessons behind.

Edited by ryanl321 on 20 January 2014 at 1:38am

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4158 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 36 of 118
20 January 2014 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
German - Did my early AM ride and run today, listening to 2 hours of LingQ podcasts. I'm so bad. We had church
today and I did a lot of Anki learning during that time. Met duo goals but I need to switch over to Spanish for the
remainder of the evening. Need to focus on this language a bit more.

Spanish - I've done nothing today, except by meeting my duo goals. I'll put my time in today while the kids are
watching a movie getting LingQ study in. I well caffeinated right now so this should be easy.

French - Got through about 20 minutes of Pims. If I have time tonight, I'll finish the now 4 lessons I'm behind on
reading! I'm very interested in this language but I'm definitely easing into it. No rush for me right now until we've
made a final commitment on our travel plans

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5189 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 37 of 118
20 January 2014 at 3:06am | IP Logged 
ryanl321 wrote:
French - Got through about 20 minutes of Pims. If I have time tonight, I'll finish the now 4 lessons I'm behind on reading!

Just a word of advice, from someone who plans to do WAY too much... Don't try to get caught up. Don't worry about the four lessons. Try to get back on track instead. Make it your plan to get one lesson done today, and another lesson done tomorrow.

Trust me, I am the queen of that kinda thing. You are doing amazing as it is. Getting back on track is more important than "catching up" - because you will probably not ever catch up. Even if you could today, you won't be able to next week. :D

You have quite the impressive schedule going, though. Keep at it! :)

2 persons have voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4158 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 38 of 118
20 January 2014 at 4:09am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
ryanl321 wrote:
French - Got through about 20 minutes of Pims. If I have time tonight, I'll
finish the now 4 lessons I'm behind on reading!

Just a word of advice, from someone who plans to do WAY too much... Don't try to get caught up. Don't worry
about the four lessons. Try to get back on track instead. Make it your plan to get one lesson done today, and
another lesson done tomorrow.

Trust me, I am the queen of that kinda thing. You are doing amazing as it is. Getting back on track is more
important than "catching up" - because you will probably not ever catch up. Even if you could today, you won't be
able to next week. :D

You have quite the impressive schedule going, though. Keep at it! :)

Thanks Kerrie, I'm taking your advice, starting fresh with my reading lessons, I'm doing only one
tonight! thanks for your inspiration..

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4158 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 39 of 118
20 January 2014 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
A great website with good audio for several languages, need a good place to store this site and my bookmarks are a
complete mess:

http://www.openculture.com/2007/04/20_podcasts_tha.html

2 persons have voted this message useful

ryanl321
Groupie
Joined 4158 days ago

94 posts - 101 votes 

Message 40 of 118
21 January 2014 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
German - woke up and went right to Anki. I knew I had 50 new cards and 100 review cards. I'm still not through
them. Having this many cards is taking away from my Duo. I failed one lesson twice so I won't be able to meet my
German goals on Duo today, kind of a bummer but I'm ahead of my goals for that anyway. I did no other German
today. Got to talk to a coworker in German for maybe 3 minutes and yesterday at church for less than that. They
both lived there for some time and are fluent. I don't do this with them very often. I might have to take them to
lunch to get some good speaking time during the workday.

Spanish - I listened to 3.3 hours of podcasts. Kind of boring, I just did this as I worked today. I know
subconsciously this is helpful but I need some new Spanish music or something to mix it up with. I did able half
of my Anki deck. Met my Duo goals. Last night my step grand mother tried to talk to me in Spanish and I had no
clue what she was saying. The whole time she was just trying to say "you grew a beard"; I have a lot of this
language to learn!

French - did about 18 mins of Pims and did my reading assignment for level 10.

Not much active activity today. Tomorrow I will reduce my Anki assignments, ensure I meet my Duo targets and
fit some speaking in (with myself likely).

This discussion contains 118 messages over 15 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version