Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3776 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 32
07 January 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
I wonder if any of you have faced the problem of what I call "mute vocabulary".

I learnt English entirely on my own, basically by devouring books. This learning method was very effective in building a huge, but at the same time mute vocabulary. I mean that I have never uttered or heard at least half of the English words I know. When I say mute, I don't necessarily mean passive vocabulary, since I might use many of my mute words in writing.

Having a mute vocabulary in languages with a more or less regular phonemic spelling is not an issue, but in the case of English I always worry that I might mispronounce my mute words.

I know that listening to the radio, watching television and talking to people can help a lot, but what about those mute words that are unlikely to come up in a chat with your neighbours and are not used in an average movie either?

1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4491 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 2 of 32
07 January 2014 at 8:21pm | IP Logged 
Don't worry, I had this problem with English a lot growing up. I remember one time I was like 6 or 7 and decided to
announce that I was feeling "melancholy". However, I pronounced it "muh-LAN-choh-lee". My mom immediately
burst out laughing, which I remember being very offended by. :-P

Anyway, now I would go to Forvo if I needed to know how to pronounce
something.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 32
07 January 2014 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 
Hungringo wrote:
I wonder if any of you have faced the problem of what I call "mute
vocabulary".

I learnt English entirely on my own, basically by devouring books. This learning method
was very effective in building a huge, but at the same time mute vocabulary. I mean
that I have never uttered or heard at least half of the English words I know. When I
say mute, I don't necessarily mean passive vocabulary, since I might use many of my
mute words in writing.

Having a mute vocabulary in languages with a more or less regular phonemic spelling is
not an issue, but in the case of English I always worry that I might mispronounce my
mute words.

I know that listening to the radio, watching television and talking to people can help
a lot, but what about those mute words that are unlikely to come up in a chat with your
neighbours and are not used in an average movie either?

Russian does this to me every day.
4 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4078 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 4 of 32
07 January 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
I do this almost constantly for English, because I rarely communicate in English orally
with anyone anymore except the doctor, shopping, etc. So what I see in a book most likely
I never speak.

It would be for any language for someone who never speaks to anyone though, not just
their target language.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4321 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 5 of 32
07 January 2014 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
I am a native speaker in English and also remember experiencing this problem a few times even when I was in my twenties and thirties. I also read a lot and sometimes (esp. if the words were common in a US/UK context, but not Australian) then my guessing of the sounding of words would just be wrong. I remember having this problem a couple of times with words I new from the New York Times, that were sufficiently low frequency in British English that I didn't know how to correctly pronounce them.

Place names in English are their own special problem. I grew up in Melbourne, and Americans always pronounce it Mel-Born, when the local pronunciation is Mel-Bin (of course some lost souls might even try to pronounce the silent-E at the end). Of course, the opposite occurs: I was surprised when I lived in England to find out how Warwick was pronounced, for instance.

I am learning German by devouring books at the moment. And I very grateful that German pronunciation is so regular compared to English, but I am also finding words whose pronunciation I haven't learnt correctly; often because I have mistakenly used an English not German pronunciation.

Edited by patrickwilken on 08 January 2014 at 10:57am

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5554 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 6 of 32
07 January 2014 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Mall-bun! :D

Listening to varied audio sources helps, and so does reading aloud with a dictionary with IPE transcription at hand. (Or the internet.)
What happens to me most often is that I mentally gloss over the pronunciation of words that are shared with another language I know; for example I used to see vehicle and think: Ah! Vehikel! and never realized it until I tried to read it out loud.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4232 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin

Message 7 of 32
07 January 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
There are lots of words & phrases we may use for writing that we don't use in day to day speech. The other day I
sent a reply to somebody online about the Chinese word for a coconut tree which sounded like the word for Jesus.
Besides cooking, I don't use coconut in everyday speaking. My English is more fluent but I do frequently write to
people in Chinese online and having to look up all sorts of terms to make sure the translations are accurate.

When you are writing to people in other countries you don't know what words or phrases they are likely going to
use. The ones they use frequently may not be the ones you use regularly...

Edited by shk00design on 07 January 2014 at 10:23pm

Gunshy
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3905 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German

Message 8 of 32
08 January 2014 at 2:16am | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
Of course, the opposite occurs: I was surprised when I lived in England to find out Warwick was pronounced, for instance.

Some people can just be so nitpicky though. I always get a reaction with the way I pronounce Birmingham (because I drop the g)!

@Hungringo: How confident are you with the placement of stress? Due to dialectal differences in English, I'd say acquiring a standard phonemic inventory wouldn't be as important as speaking with consistent stress placement.

As an example: 'important < im'portant.

The first would sound very unusual to me, and I might not even understand in conversation (I'd think you're talking about impotence!). However, I'd never expect you to pronounce the word with the same phonemes as me.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version