Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 17 of 91
11 January 2014 at 6:02am | IP Logged 
Congrats Benny. I must admit, I think the choice of the title might backfire. For a blog
title, its great, for a book, not so much. I would have suggested a title cover like:
[Title name]

Benny Banarasi
Creator of the blog FluentIn3Months

^^ This still conveys the brand of your blog, but not as the title.

Edited by Gemuse on 11 January 2014 at 6:04am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ericblair
United States
Joined 4500 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 18 of 91
11 January 2014 at 6:59am | IP Logged 
Benny, I just wanted to say I really, really like the graphic on the front cover of the
book. It looks classy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3871 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 19 of 91
11 January 2014 at 7:23am | IP Logged 
The graphic is indeed very classy.
3 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6168 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 20 of 91
11 January 2014 at 8:37am | IP Logged 
Ok culebrilla you've made your opinion known. Let's move on.
4 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6168 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 91
11 January 2014 at 8:43am | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
Nothing against Benny or his techniques, but I was very disappointed with HarperCollins'
choice of title. I am unsurprised, since publishing today is increasingly about what writer brings the most fans
and the most recognisable brand to the table on day #1, but I am still disappointed.

Probably a huge motivation for HarperCollins is the title. It perfectly targets the majority of people
who aren't serious language learners like we are.

Edited by newyorkeric on 11 January 2014 at 8:44am

5 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3888 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 22 of 91
11 January 2014 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
I am unsurprised, since publishing today is increasingly about what writer brings the most fans and the most recognisable brand to the table on day #1, but I am still disappointed. [...]Shame on the money-hungry folks at HarperCollins who didn't think they could market this without going that route, but good for Benny.

jpmtl wrote:
Shame on HarperCollins for using the name of his blog as the title of his book? That doesn't make any sense. If there's any issue, then it comes from Benny, not the publisher who's obviously going to use the same marketing tactics as the blogger. They would be pretty stupid not to.

Benny named a blog. A blog, as was the point of my post, is not a book. I already addressed your "they would be pretty stupid not to" comment and regardless of what makes sense from a leveraging Benny's personal brand point of view I still find that it shows that HarperCollins' purchased the brand and doesn't trust the material and the author enough to package it honestly and fairly.

newyorkeric wrote:
Probably a huge motivation for HarperCollins is the title.

Yes. I already said that.
3 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3888 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 23 of 91
11 January 2014 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Not that I'd care about honest and fair packaging if HarperCollins wanted to pick up my brand (well, if I was cultivating one that isn't just my first two initials and my surname — that'd be a weird title, especially if I was also the author). I'd probably be too excited to even consider whether my own personal brand name worked for the publishing industry. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

jpmtl
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3791 days ago

44 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 24 of 91
11 January 2014 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
eyðimörk wrote:
I am unsurprised, since publishing today is increasingly about what writer brings the most fans and the most recognisable brand to the table on day #1, but I am still disappointed. [...]Shame on the money-hungry folks at HarperCollins who didn't think they could market this without going that route, but good for Benny.

jpmtl wrote:
Shame on HarperCollins for using the name of his blog as the title of his book? That doesn't make any sense. If there's any issue, then it comes from Benny, not the publisher who's obviously going to use the same marketing tactics as the blogger. They would be pretty stupid not to.

Benny named a blog. A blog, as was the point of my post, is not a book. I already addressed your "they would be pretty stupid not to" comment and regardless of what makes sense from a leveraging Benny's personal brand point of view I still find that it shows that HarperCollins' purchased the brand and doesn't trust the material and the author enough to package it honestly and fairly.

newyorkeric wrote:
Probably a huge motivation for HarperCollins is the title.

Yes. I already said that.

Benny uses 'fluent in 3 months' to catch attention.

HarperCollins uses 'fluent in 3 months' to catch attention.

Of course Benny will justify how he named his blog with all sort of reasons which are not marketing-related. But we would have to be pretty naive to think the main motivation is not marketing-related.

I don't think it's dishonest anyway. The fact is, some people do become fluent in a language in 3 months or less. So while the title may be a way to catch people's attention, it also does reflect a reality. This is often how marketing works anyway, you make a claim that is true for some people, while suggesting it may apply to the reader, while it may not.

And because Benny is precisely not an expert or a well-known scholar but more a blogger in the line of Tim Ferriss, I think it sets the tone the right way to use this kind of language ('language hacking', 'fluent in 3 months', etc). I think we have to trust people's intelligence here anyway.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 91 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version