Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Anki - which way round?

Tags: Anki
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
Poll Question: How do you organise your decks?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [23.08%]
10 [38.46%]
10 [38.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
js6426
Diglot
Cambodia
Joined 4315 days ago

277 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*, Khmer
Studies: Mandarin

Message 1 of 22
11 January 2014 at 5:23am | IP Logged 
I didn't want to hijack the other thread that has been started on optimising Anki, but really wanted some feedback
on just how people are using Anki. Up to now I have had most of my decks going both ways, so that I get tested on
whether I know the word going from both L1 - L2 and L2 - L1. However, as my decks begin to get bigger I am
finding that all my time is being taken up by Anki and I am just coasting, in fact my retention is probably getting
worse as I get bored quickly (I am writing this post during an Anki session just to avoid actually studying)! So my
question is how do you guys set up your decks? I am thinking of changing back to just one way so that I have more
time to focus on things outside of Anki. I think what would probably be most beneficial would be going from L2 -
L1 as I really want my listening to improve (and as I am learning Chinese it will also help my reading).
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 22
11 January 2014 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Where's the option for "other"? ;) I don't use Anki for individual words.

I think your real issue is keeping it simple. A good deck is a big collection of fairly easy cards. Break it down into more cards to make each individual card easy and straightforward. I don't know enough about Mandarin* to give you any specific tips, but AJATT is your friend. (BTW note how SilverSpoon and Neutrino refer to "atoms")

*or more like, hearsay can easily turn into heresy and I won't risk that when there's AJATT and other folks who know better.

Edited by Serpent on 11 January 2014 at 11:42am

3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4316 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 3 of 22
11 January 2014 at 1:33pm | IP Logged 
In your situation, I would go for L2 --> L1. But in general, I think it depends on the
language pair. When I was learning Norwegian, I only did L1 --> L2 (with written
answer), because L2 --> L1 just wasn't needed, as a lot of Norwegian words are close
enough to German to learn to recognize them just by exposure. This way I saved some time
and increased my active vocabulary faster. I tried the same for Icelandic and Latin and
I failed miserably.
2 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5355 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 4 of 22
11 January 2014 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure I've understood the question fully, but anyway:

I don't like my decks to be a mix of hard and easy stuff. I like to either concentrate fully, or be on auto-pilot, not switch between them. I think I need to learn L2 -> L1 first, so basically my decks are all in that direction. If and when I decide to begin in the hard direction, I will do it as a separate deck. I also have tried to divide my gender learning deck into "easy" "normal" "hard" and "fail" (using the browser and sorting by easiness, or repetitions etc.) so that I can adapt the settings, and my attention expenditure, as necessary.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 11 January 2014 at 4:06pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 5 of 22
11 January 2014 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
If the vocab is very easy to understand, activating it is just a matter of time and exposure. No need for SRS.

Light
Canada
Joined 4220 days ago

30 posts - 42 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 6 of 22
12 January 2014 at 4:57am | IP Logged 
I translate sentences from L1 -> L2 only. This way of doing it contains all the necessary elements needed. I don't see any point in translating form L2 -> L1, it's a complete waste of time. The only reason I might do L2 -> L1 is if I am learning a new alphabet or foreign characters, as it may actually benefit me. I don't think there's any other good reason to do cards in that direction. Someone enlighten me on why this is useful.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 7 of 22
12 January 2014 at 6:18am | IP Logged 
Well, there are various formats of cards. The main issues with translation are that there's normally many correct options and that it can be hard to stop translating and start thinking in the language.

It's also entirely possible not to understand the words effortlessly after drilling them L1->L2, in this case it also makes sense to learn them in both directions. Although the real reason is most likely that you've not seen the word outside your dictionary/textbook, so instead of adding one more card it can be beneficial to just google some real examples.

And before you say "someone enlighten me", remember that you're learning a big Romance language which is relatively similar to English. And you list it as beginner. Change even one of the facts I mentioned and you'll see why other people's experience is different.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 8 of 22
12 January 2014 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
js6426 wrote:
However, as my decks begin to get bigger I am
finding that all my time is being taken up by Anki and I am just coasting, in fact my retention is probably getting
worse as I get bored quickly (I am writing this post during an Anki session just to avoid actually studying)! So my
question is how do you guys set up your decks? I am thinking of changing back to just one way so that I have more
time to focus on things outside of Anki. I think what would probably be most beneficial would be going from L2 -
L1 as I really want my listening to improve (and as I am learning Chinese it will also help my reading).

I am curious how many new cards you add per day? Any one tool will become overwhelming and a chore if you overdo it. Personally, I rarely add more than 6 cards (from a two-way deck) per day. I also rarely spend more than 15 minutes on Anki. As a result, I generally enjoy my Anki time. I think 1,000 words in a year is an acceptable pace, particularly if it leaves me more time to do other interesting activities.

EDIT: I do, however, acknowledge that when you're using Anki for learning the script as well as vocab you might need to do more per day.

Edited by Jeffers on 12 January 2014 at 8:10pm

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version