Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4803 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 25 of 232
15 January 2014 at 9:32pm | IP Logged 
If there are still places left, I wouldn't mind being on both French teams. However, if there is a flood of those interested and not enough places left, I'll be following you anyways :-D

P.S. thanks for making a second franch team, songlines. I'm sure you will be awesome!
1 person has voted this message useful

enrdbrow
United Kingdom
Joined 4366 days ago

19 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 26 of 232
16 January 2014 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
A massive THANKYOU! for creating and leading this second team Songlines, and more importantly for adding me to the list :)

Here is a link to my log: DB's French Log (I'll change the name once we have settled on one).

Some resources I've recently come across:

- Linguee.fr I've been using Linguee.fr to see some extra example usage of vocabulary that I'm putting into ANKI that I get from Teach Yourself French (I'm thinking more context, more understanding and the better I'll remember)

- Le Petit Nicolas The first book is available to read online with audio and with exercises for each chapter.

- Le Petit Prince Text and audio available online using the Ilya Frank Reading Method. I plan on reading this after I finish my "Easy French Reader" at the end of January.

Bonne chance à tout le monde et poursuivez votre bon travail!
6 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 27 of 232
16 January 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Those are great links, enrdbrow. I've seen the Le Petit Nicolas site before, but as I've read the book 3 times, and listened to the audiobook many more times, I attempted the first quiz and got it all right easily.

I've never seen Linguee, but it looks awesome. It is great that it gives so many usage example for words and phrases. The frequency lists are useful, especially as they have phrases as well as individual words. But it is worth noting that the frequency is based on the number of times people have looked them up, not any corpus of texts. It might actually be more useful than a frequency list.

As a side note, I was having difficulty with how the word "constater" is used, so it was really helpful to see that it ranks fairly high (#50 in their list), so I am not alone. After reading the examples, I have a good idea of how it works, especially the fact that it takes "que" where I would have thought it takes "de". So is this phrase correct? "Il faut constater que..." = "It is worth noting that..."

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 28 of 232
16 January 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Here's the link to my new log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=37873&PN=1

I spent a lot of time writing a review of the main resources I have used on the last 2.5 years. Sometime soon I'll write a plan for the coming year, but the coming week is going to be too busy I think.

I plan on updating it about once a month, with a briefish summary of the activities I did for that month. I like the way Songlines does periodic summaries on her log, because it is less taxing to follow than some other people's more regular logs.   
2 persons have voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5270 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 29 of 232
17 January 2014 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

I plan on updating it about once a month, with a briefish summary of the activities I did for that month. I like
the way Songlines does periodic summaries on her log, because it is less taxing to follow than some other
people's more regular logs.   

Once a month, such a simple idea, but such a good idea! I might change to monthly after the initial month is
over... Let's face it, it's the learning that's more important than the actual documentation of it. Fry on!

Sizen
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4133 days ago

165 posts - 347 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Catalan, Spanish, Japanese, Ukrainian, German

Message 30 of 232
17 January 2014 at 10:54am | IP Logged 
Personally, I plan to update my log every 4-14 days. I have some goals this year and keeping a fairly regular
log will hopefully help keep me in line.

The first goal I have is to write more and improve my writing while doing so even if all I write is English. The
second goal is to always work on finding new content that I can use to improve my languages in a
pleasurable way. This is why I'm trying to fill all my log posts with numerous links. The more links I post, the
faster I run out of new media to talk about and the harder I have to work to find new activities. At least, that's
my theory. I really want to keep my studies as interesting and sustainable as possible this year. Plus I want to
provide as much support and inspiration to the rest of the team as I can when they're feeling like they're in a
rut and don't know what to do. I really hope that I don't demotivated myself too much by forcing it, though.

Really, my goal is, I suppose, to make my life a little more exciting and varied than it has been these past two
years.
2 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5003 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 31 of 232
17 January 2014 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
A few important housekeeping things, re. my question in post 24 (and post 1, which it refers to):

Unless people feel strongly otherwise, I'm thinking of opening up registration for this team this
weekend. (That is, no longer limiting it to people who were unable to sign up for Team Triomphe.) I'll also
limit our team numbers to 20 members. If there are more people that that, perhaps they could either
start a new team, or do TAC as independents? -   Or, if later in the year, there are spots through attrition, we
could fold them into our team? (I'm a bit concerned about leaving people who are entirely new to Htlal and/or
French language learning out "in the cold" without a support group.) Please either PM me, if you haven't
already done so, or leave a response in this thread. (Agreement or disagreement both equally accepted.)

Also (in the interests of transparency), I'll note that I've already had enquiries/posts from people (ahead of
Cavesa) in Triomphe who are interested in moving to our second team; and I have PM-ed one other
person on the main TAC signup page who had expressed an interest in being on a French team. Given the
limit on team size, and in fairness to people who might be otherwise "homeless /teamless", I doubt there'll be
room to accommodate anyone wishing to officially join both French teams. People are, of course,
more than welcome to follow and post on any of our logs and threads, whether they're team members or
otherwise!

We are currently at 10 members; 2 waitlisted from Triomphe (I haven't waitlisted Cavesa, for the reasons
above); and 1 from the TAC signup thread from whom I'm expecting a PM.

I will be PM-someone who had volunteered (on the main TAC signup page) to be a "godparent" in French, to
see if the offer's still open. For TAC, a "godparent" is a native speaker of the target language, who's available
to answer questions about the language. They aren't expected to follow all our team logs.

Team Name: Do you want to wait till we have a full (or fuller) complement of team members before we
decide on a name? And/or, for that matter, wait for more suggestions for names? Or...?

Our team is provisionally listed (and linked) on the TAC signup thread as Second French Team (or some
similar such phraseology); if we choose a new name before the 22nd (? possibly 21st?) Josquin can
update the name with our new one. Otherwise, it's not a biggie - the link will still work.

Thanks to everyone for posting the links to your logs - I've enjoyed reading them!

-------

Update, Sunday 19th: Registration is now open, without that restriction about having to have been
unable to sign up for Triomphe. I'm keeping a restriction against signing up for both French teams.

Edited by songlines on 19 January 2014 at 5:35pm

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 5003 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Personal Language Map

Message 32 of 232
17 January 2014 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
Have to head out now, but next up:   
- Quick tip on making links (for Jeffers and anyone else)
- Response on log-posting frequency.
- Idea for a group activity for late January and February (hint: look at DB's French log)
- Will start filling in the "resources" section on the first page of this thread on Monday, the next day I have off
work. I have some lists on my log, and will be gleaning others from other threads (PAX, Romulans,
Triomphe, and your own logs), but if I miss any that you've found particularly useful, feel free to add them to
this thread; I can update my listts.

This discussion contains 232 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version