Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5140 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 217 of 232
24 August 2014 at 3:12am | IP Logged 
I am terribly sorry to have to inform you that Chih-Pien – Songlines to us fellow HTLALers – has passed away. Her
brother has asked that I inform forum members on his behalf.

Her passion for language learning and her constant desire to help other forum members, most notably her
Deuxièmistes learning log partners, will be greatly missed.

A service will be held in Toronto on August 28th. Details are as follows:

In memory of Chen Chih-Pien

We're deeply saddened to announce the unexpected but peaceful death of Chih-Pien on Tuesday, 19 August 2014 at
St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto. Beloved daughter of Chen Chi Nan and Seok Im, loving sister of Hao (Paul Genney),
Hsin, Ying (George Watt), and Feng, and "favourite" aunt of William, Lin, and Sam.

Visitation will be held on 28 August beginning at 5:30 pm at Rosar-Morrison Funeral Home & Chapel, 467
Sherbourne St., Toronto. The memorial service will be held at 6:00 pm, followed by a reception.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made. The family is selecting a charity that reflects Pien's lifelong
interests. Details to be advised. A second memorial service will be held in Vancouver at a date to be arranged.

Edited by Arekkusu on 24 August 2014 at 3:14am

1 person has voted this message useful

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 218 of 232
24 August 2014 at 11:35am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
I am terribly sorry to have to inform you that Chih-Pien – Songlines to us fellow
HTLALers – has passed away. Her
brother has asked that I inform forum members on his behalf.

Her passion for language learning and her constant desire to help other forum members, most notably her
Deuxièmistes learning log partners, will be greatly missed.

A service will be held in Toronto on August 28th. Details are as follows:

In memory of Chen Chih-Pien

We're deeply saddened to announce the unexpected but peaceful death of Chih-Pien on Tuesday, 19 August
2014 at
St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto. Beloved daughter of Chen Chi Nan and Seok Im, loving sister of Hao (Paul
Genney),
Hsin, Ying (George Watt), and Feng, and "favourite" aunt of William, Lin, and Sam.

Visitation will be held on 28 August beginning at 5:30 pm at Rosar-Morrison Funeral Home & Chapel, 467
Sherbourne St., Toronto. The memorial service will be held at 6:00 pm, followed by a reception.

In lieu of flowers, memorial donations may be made. The family is selecting a charity that reflects Pien's
lifelong
interests. Details to be advised. A second memorial service will be held in Vancouver at a date to be
arranged.

This is a shock. I don't know what to say, but it's sad. I hope that Chih-Pien's family have plenty of warmth
and support for each other in this sad time and can relish in the beautiful memories of her lovely character.
That's perhaps a little presumptuous, but I'd assume given her very kind and helpful nature here on HTLAL
that it was a reflection of her nature with her friends and family out in the real world. Goodbye Songlines, and
thanks for your help and leadership. We will miss you.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 219 of 232
24 August 2014 at 12:02pm | IP Logged 
I've been following Songline's log for nearly as long as I've been using HTLAL. It's strange in this day and age how you can know someone you never met; I didn't know her in person, but I shared in one of her life passions. I will miss her.

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5235 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 220 of 232
24 August 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Regarding team Team Deuxième leadership. I've had a slight change of heart. I'm not prepared to take on
the role entirely. Jeffers has agreed he would share the role with me. We're both a little uncertain what
leadership entails exactly but utilising common sense feel we have a fair idea...

I'd like to emphasize the qualities of support and guidance devoid of hierarchy. We're all learners in Team
2ème so I think I can speak for Jeffers as well in saying we simply want to learn French (slightly obvious?).
Any objections are welcome. I figured Jeffers and I were present quite a lot here and no other 'solid'
nominations have been made as yet. Of course we could just opt for a fully-flung real democracy in which we
all 'put in' without any single leader(s), but if ppl are happy Jeffers and I will carry on?

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3903 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 221 of 232
24 August 2014 at 3:23pm | IP Logged 
What shocking news. My thoughts are with her family and friends.

Iolanthe
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 5400 days ago

410 posts - 482 votes 
Speaks: English*, DutchC1
Studies: Turkish, French

Message 222 of 232
25 August 2014 at 9:48am | IP Logged 
I'm shocked and sad. She was a wonderful team leader. Condolences to those who knew her
well.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 223 of 232
25 August 2014 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
These are shocking news. I hope her family finds the encouragement to go through these sad moments.

enrdbrow
United Kingdom
Joined 4331 days ago

19 posts - 30 votes
Studies: French

Message 224 of 232
28 August 2014 at 3:59pm | IP Logged 
Very sad news. She came across as a lovely and kind hearted person. My thoughts are with her family and friends. May her song forever be sung along the songlines...

Edited by enrdbrow on 28 August 2014 at 4:02pm

This discussion contains 232 messages over 29 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version