19 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
JayR9
United Kingdom
Joined 4495 days ago

155 posts - 162 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 19
16 January 2014 at 10:18pm | IP Logged 
I don't know if I am posting this in the right place or if these have been mentioned before. I apologize if they have.

Has anyone used or tried these following websites and are they good? worth it?

FluentU
LingQ
italki
Livemocha

Some you have to pay for but I don't want to pay if they are no good.

I am trying to learn Mandarin and if these can help then great, but I don't know much about these so any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks
1 person has voted this message useful

SomeGuy
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4895 days ago

56 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: Arabic (Written), Turkish, Mandarin

Message 2 of 19
16 January 2014 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
FluentU -is quite useful in my opinion
LingQ -never used it
italki - is awesome! almost all of my language tandems are from italki, many good teachers.
Livemocha - i tried it but just got scam mails

you forgot lang-8 - which is quite useful, if you want to practise your writting and/or find tandems!
2 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5677 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 3 of 19
16 January 2014 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
The only one I've tried from that list is LiveMocha. I tried it awhile ago. Mainly just a social network with some basic lessons. Decent at the time, but it's been bought by Rosetta Stone, and what I've heard about it since the buy out has not been good.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 4 of 19
16 January 2014 at 11:46pm | IP Logged 
I love italki. I use it for tutoring mainly - there are some excellent teachers there at very affordable prices. I also use
italki for text correction, to find language exchange partners and (rarely) to post language-related questions.
Highly, highly recommended!

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3847 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 5 of 19
17 January 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
I have a personal preference the FSI Basic courses, or Assimil, for language learning and have yet to find a really good online course or software package that either holds my interest or compensates for the irritation factor that, for me, is associated with these technology-driven methods.   Nonetheless, of the online courses mentioned above, I have tried LIVEMOCHA, for which I purchased the four companion books for German (which I found pleasant, but not essential). I found the LIVEMOCHA videos particularly good because (a) the brief dialogues are spoken at an only-slightly-slower-than-conversational speed and (b) there seems to be no particularly overt attempt to speak clearly and distinctly, as one might find on the audio tracks of most basic courses (the downside being that the dialogues are slightly more difficult to understand). The exercises are okay, but not very challenging; however, the opportunity to have your material checked by fellow students or native speakers is a plus. The explanations of German grammar, both online or in the accompanying books, tend to towards the superficial and even skip over some important issues that most basic courses address head-on.   I get the impression that the full course leads the independent learner somewhere into the A1+ territory. Overall, my rating would be 3½ stars out of 5. So, it's not bad, but I wasn't enthralled ... meiner Meinung nach.

Edited by Speakeasy on 17 January 2014 at 12:20am

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 6 of 19
17 January 2014 at 2:06am | IP Logged 
I love italki for the text corrections! The community is huge so you are always likely to get a timely and informative correction.

I tried LingQ and I think the idea is really good. However, the very limited demo (like 100 words only) didn't allow me to find out whether it really works for me and, eventually, get addicted enough to pay.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 19
17 January 2014 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
Here is an explanation of what LingQ is for, along with some free alternatives. LingQ does provide some nice easy materials though - which you can SRS outside the site. (not sure if the access to texts and dictionaries is limited)
3 persons have voted this message useful

culebrilla
United States
Joined 3792 days ago

246 posts - 436 votes 
Speaks: Spanish

Message 8 of 19
17 January 2014 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Italki is great. I buy about two weekly one hour chats in Spanish for like 7 bucks an hour. And you can get a lot of natives to correct your writings for free. They do it for free and only as long as native speakers of their target language correct THEIR writings. :)

This discussion contains 19 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version