Triglot
Luxembourg
Joined 3745 days ago

12 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Italian, Ancient Greek

Message 49 of 93
19 February 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
It's not about whether I believe she listens to 60 hours of music in two weeks, I'm sure she probably does. I just don't think it's quite the same thing as, say, scheduling a 30 minute session with a native speaker on italki, or drilling exercises with duolingo, or reading a book, or ...

Nor do I have a problem with considering music as a means of learning a language, per se. But if someone has almost 90 hours learning (almost double the #6 on the list), of which 60 hours are devoted to a relatively passive learning method, I have problems with it being counted as much as the others who are busting their butts in chunks of 30 minutes here, 50 minutes there etc. Take away the music listening, and she's not even in the top 15.. http://6wc.learnlangs.com

But like I said, I suppose it doesn't matter. It just makes me feel like I'm not competing in the same contest.. ;)
5 persons have voted this message useful

FelixKatze
United Kingdom
Joined 3957 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 50 of 93
19 February 2014 at 9:25pm | IP Logged 
I knew what you meant, and was agreeing.

By saying I would presume good faith, I only meant that this is likely just down to her interpreting what should be counted differently, and simply not realising that others are not counting that sort of thing.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 51 of 93
19 February 2014 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
FelixKatze wrote:
Perhaps it could be clearer what should and shouldn't be counted, though I'd guess(?) a majority would agree that having music on in the background shouldn't count.
It's not that it shouldn't count, it just counts less than 100% of the time spent.

Also it's hard to listen for so long to a language you don't understand much. Try it yourself first. And if this is regular, I guess she's listening while commuting or doing housework, both of which involve a lot of time and boredom, making this a great opportunity to listen a lot and stay concentrated.

ellasevia
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2011
Germany
Joined 5935 days ago

2150 posts - 3229 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Croatian, Greek, French, Spanish, Russian, Swedish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Catalan, Persian, Mandarin, Japanese, Romanian, Ukrainian

Message 52 of 93
19 February 2014 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I'd tend to agree with gregf. I personally don't count any time spent on listening to music unless I'm explicitly using the song as a form of listening comprehension, or using the lyrics for reading practice or to find new vocabulary. If I just happen to be listening to music in a foreign language (as most of my music is), I don't consider that study time.

Edited by ellasevia on 19 February 2014 at 10:45pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 53 of 93
20 February 2014 at 12:02am | IP Logged 
Well but people listen to music differently depending on their personality/situation.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4221 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 54 of 93
20 February 2014 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
I definitely agree that music is an excellent tool to learn a language and that there are many ways to use it. I listen to
a lot of Spanish music walking to school everyday and sometimes while getting ready to go out/cleaning my room,
but i make sure that i'm focused so that i can count every second for this challenge. That's the part where i love how
competition motivates me! It does seem rather odd to me that music would be used as the dominant source
though.. (ex. currently 65% of that persons study time).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 55 of 93
20 February 2014 at 4:11am | IP Logged 
Well, I've had several challenges where I ended up earning my TL time mostly by music because I was learning other languages too. Basically it's the easiest thing to change for the duration of the challenge.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4221 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 56 of 93
20 February 2014 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Yeah, that makes sense. I guess it's just not what i personally would use as a method of making huge advancements
in a mere 6 weeks.

This discussion contains 93 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version