Fieryterminator
United States
how-to-learn-any-lan
Joined 3754 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 11
28 January 2014 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
The grammar focus hasn't been working for me, so I've decided to experiment, and I've come up with an idea. I have most of the basics down for my target language, Russian, so I figured it would be a good idea to look up some children's books on the internet and study some of those until I have a fairly good idea of the basics and how they're used. How does this sound?
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4239 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 2 of 11
28 January 2014 at 7:07am | IP Logged 
Wouldn't be a bad idea. There are also children's cartoons and educational programs on TV that may also be
available on the Internet. Besides books you need to balance it with some dialog to improve your listening skills.
Something at the level of the PBS program "Sid the Science Kid". I've seen a French version: "Sid, le petit
scientifique". You may be able to find a Russian version of: "Sesame Street".

Edited by shk00design on 28 January 2014 at 7:09am

jamesleecoleman
United States
Joined 4282 days ago

38 posts - 52 votes 
Studies: Russian, Persian

Message 3 of 11
29 January 2014 at 2:34am | IP Logged 
Sounds like a good idea. Have you thought about writing your own stories too?

If you go over to http://www.ilearnrussian.com, maybe you can find some books.
I suggest that you call and ask if they have a student discount.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Marcos_Eich
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 4013 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German

Message 4 of 11
31 January 2014 at 4:53am | IP Logged 
I am using a similar strategy to learn German and so far it is very nice. You should try
it.

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5897 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 5 of 11
02 February 2014 at 8:23pm | IP Logged 
My experience with using children's books is that most will not be worth it. Beware the book with full color illustrations and 12 words per page. These were made to be read aloud to children while they stare at the pictures. You can learn more TL than that in one decent vocabulary lesson, I bet.

I suggest, however, books aimed at young readers. Elementary level up through young adult. For example, I have a Bible Stories book which still has plenty of pictures to help me along.

Also, with the recent popularity of Narnia and hobbits and vampires for example, you can probably find quite a bit of juvenile fiction in your TL.

:wq!

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 6 of 11
05 February 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
RedBeard wrote:
My experience with using children's books is that most will not be worth it.

That, of course, depends entirely on the book. Many children's books have substantial content. Just not the ones for 2-3 year olds. Also, a lot depends on the culture the book is written in.  English children's books try to tell a story with as small a vocabulary as possible, in order to encourage a child to read. But I have noticed that Hindi children's books often use unusual vocabulary for common words. The focus is on expanding the child's vocabulary in these books.

Besides children's books, comics provide a good balance in this respect. There are still only like 10-20 words per picture, so it is easy to see what is going on. But the amount of content that appears on one page of a children's book appears many times over on a page of a comic book.

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3939 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 7 of 11
05 February 2014 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
[QUOTE=RedBeard] English children's books try to tell a story with as small a vocabulary as
possible, in order to encourage a child to read. But I have noticed that Hindi children's books often use unusual
vocabulary for common words. The focus is on expanding the child's vocabulary in these books.

I have to disagree with this! While there are simple graded readers aimed at teaching children to read, true picture
books have only one goal: to tell a good story. The vocabulary and storyline of picture books are very often much
more complex than novels for beginners.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 8 of 11
05 February 2014 at 2:17pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
[QUOTE=RedBeard] English children's books try to tell
a story with as small a vocabulary as
possible, in order to encourage a child to read. But I have noticed that Hindi
children's books often use unusual
vocabulary for common words. The focus is on expanding the child's vocabulary in these
books.

I have to disagree with this! While there are simple graded readers aimed at teaching
children to read, true picture
books have only one goal: to tell a good story. The vocabulary and storyline of picture
books are very often much
more complex than novels for beginners.

English language children's books are generally compelling precisely because they aim
to tell a good story with as small a vocabulary as possible. From what I understand,
this trend was started by Dr Seuss (Theodore Geisel), who wrote the Cat in the Hat with
a total vocabulary of 236 words, although he had set himself the goal of doing it in
225 words.     

The storyline may be more complex than beginners' novels (which are generally boring),
but complex vocabulary is rare in my experience.

Dr Seuss famously did even better on a bet. His publisher bet him that he couldn't
produce an entertaining book using only 50 different words. The result was Green Eggs
and Ham. wikipedia link

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version