Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5851 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 9 of 85
29 January 2014 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Então sempre decidiste ir para a frente com esta ideia! Muito bem!

I guess you're going to enter a different dimension: if the past is a foreign country, what can we say about this? A language that has resonated through the Mediterranean for centuries, uniting a community! Wow! And with a different alphabet, at that!

I also think that there must be a way to include this one in the forum's roster of languages.

A final note: where else would you have gotten this kind of reaction but here? All of a sudden, there are links to sites, to videos... you gotta love this forum!

Não vira! Segue, segue, segue...
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5052 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 10 of 85
29 January 2014 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Songlines, yes I knew about the crowd-funding project for the film but thanks for posting the link here. Susanna is also learning Ladino. Let's hope this project gets funded! Luso came up with the pun when I told him about it in Lisbon a few weeks ago.

Luso, muito obrigado pelo apoio e pelo nome do log também. O ladino, sendo um idioma derivado do castelhano antigo, tem muito semelhança ao português. Vamos ver como irá.

Yeah, you've got to love HTLAL. Where else can a gentile guy living on a tiny Caribbean island, who's learning a dying Jewish language get the support of an American living in Japan learning Portuguese, an Australian who has learned Spanish and Dutch, a Canadian learning French, a Frenchmen who speaks Yiddish and is learning Egyptian, A Norwegian Spanish-speaker living in France learning Romansh and a Tuga who speaks Arabic and is learning Sanskrit! Munchas grasias a todos!

Edited by iguanamon on 29 January 2014 at 6:55pm

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5198 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 11 of 85
29 January 2014 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Do you happen to know what coding I should use to type and display Rashi, Meruba and Solitreo characters. I'd love to be able to OCR my pdf's and copy and paste to make some parallel texts.

Hmm, sorry, no idea about the coding.

iguanamon wrote:
Right now, I am learning Rashi with El Princhipiko- it's a lot of fun reading Hebrew characters designed for Torah commentary by a French Rabbi, from right to left and coming out with Medieval Spanish!

I remember having the same kind of feeling with Yiddish :-) "What ?! A Germanic prefix used with a Hebrew verb in a sentence whose syntax has been influenced by Slavic languages !? How cool is that !?"

Here's a couple of links you may find intersting (if you don't already know about them of course) :
The Sephardi Studies Project
Europeana

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 12 of 85
29 January 2014 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
Wait, so is it traditional to write Ladino entirely in Rashi script? I'm quite familiar
and comfortable with that script, but I've never heard of or seen it used in any context
that wasn't clearly some sort of commentary, quotation, parenthetical or footnote.

Good luck! I suspect that a good month or two of intensive study might be enough for you
to be ready to have basic conversations--if you can find someone to talk to! I learned
Yiddish after knowing modern German (and a bit of Hebrew, so YMMV) mainly by reading the
newspaper and listening to podcasts, and that's about how long it took for me to start to
feel comfortable with it. Finding chances to use the language is definitely the biggest
challenge.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5052 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 13 of 85
29 January 2014 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
I was hoping you'd drop by, geoffw. I hope you will be here to help as I make my gentile way through my Rashi readings. Yes, Rashi script was the main writing system for printed Judeo-Spanish until the 1920's when the Latin alphabet took over. Handwriting was done in "Solitreo", cursive writing based on Rashi. Hebrew "square" characters were reserved for religious texts or titles. Everything I've read points to Hebrew being reserved for religious purposes, I guess Rashi was seen as a way to avoid sullying Hebrew with common, everyday non-spiritual life.

Amongst the Sefaradim, the term "Ladino" was reserved for a "calque" of Hebrew used as an instructional language for religious texts. The Judeo-Spanish-speakers themselves used various other terms like "Djudeo-espanyol", "Spanyolit", "Spanyol", "Dzhudezmo", etc. to refer to their language. Today Ladino is the generally accepted name for Judeo-Spanish.

The good thing about knowing Spanish, Portuguese, some French (through school and Haitian Creole) and English is that I have a good grasp on what's going on already, at least in Latin script. The Turkish, Arabic and Hebrew words are throwing me for a loop though- just have to learn them. I'll ask around here if anyone knows someone who speaks the language. You just never know. :)

Edited by iguanamon on 29 January 2014 at 8:29pm

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4478 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 14 of 85
29 January 2014 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:

Everything I've read points to Hebrew being reserved for religious purposes, I guess
Rashi was seen as a way to avoid sullying Hebrew with common, everyday non-spiritual
life.
Amongst the Sefaradim, the term "Ladino" was reserved for a "calque" of Hebrew used as
an instructional language for religious texts.
The Turkish, Arabic and Hebrew words are throwing me for a loop though- just have to
learn them.

That sounds like the language situation that persists today in many Chassidic
communities vis-a-vis Yiddish and Hebrew, especially those outside of Israel.

Not sure if this is what you mean, but your description sounds almost like the term
"Ladino" was used the way we might talk today about "Yeshivish" amongst the English-
speaking Jews.

And it sounds like you have a familiar problem, there. My biggest difficulties are with
loanwords from outside of German and Hebrew. In many cases, the loanwords chosen depend
on the geographic origin of the speaker/writer. For example, I've often said that
Shalom Aleichem expects his readers to understand both Yiddish and Russian (he'll
actually throw in whole sentences of Russian, written with Hebrew letters), whereas
when reading Israel Joshua Singer (see: The Brothers Ashkenazi), I had to check a
Polish dictionary every couple sentences. And I've been told that a lot of modern
Chassidic Yiddish is based on Hungarian loanwords.

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5356 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 15 of 85
31 January 2014 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:

¡Gracias por tus palabras tan amables y por seguirme, Vos! Quedo muy impresionado con tu aprendizaje de
idiomas, especialmente tu dominio del neerlandés, viviendo en un país como Australia, tan lejano de los otros
países- muy impresionante. Recuerdo cuando comenzabas aprendiendo español hace cuatro años y ahora, eres
un hispanoparlante. ¿Has pensado en aprender el portugués,italiano, catalán o francés algún día?

Es tú quien es demasiado amable Iguanamon, gracias. Lo sé, apenas puedo creer lo mucho que he aprendido
desde que empecé. Pero debo mucho a las personas que me alentaban a lo largo de los años y siguen
alentándome, como tú mismo.

He pensado en ello, pero para decir la verdad, ya tengo el polaco esperándome después de que haya trabajado
en mi neerlandés y logrado que lo domine bien.
Cuando empezaba con las lenguas tenía ensueños como cualquier otro de dominar lenguas a puñados, y en
concreto lenguas como el islándico, el japonés, el árabe.. lenguas que no se relacionaron las unas a las otras en
absoluto. Pero ahora que llevo cuatro años estudiando idiomas, puedo ver que dominar una lengua supone horas
incontables, un empeño y brío fuerte y una energía que apenas nunca duerme para lograr que acabes
conociéndola casi como tu lengua natal, algo que aún no he alcanzado. Así que, dado que soy una persona que
prefiere cualidad que cantidad, no sé si voy a tener el tiempo para estudiar alguno de ellos. Pero quien sepa, tal
vez algún día algo pasará y me enamoraré de uno de ellos y no me quedará más remedio que aprenderlo.

¿Cuánto tiempo te tardó para llegar a tener un buen entendimiento del portugués y poder usarlo sin muchas
dificultades?
1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5052 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 16 of 85
31 January 2014 at 1:55am | IP Logged 
Vos wrote:
¿Cuánto tiempo te tardó para llegar a tener un buen entendimiento del portugués y poder usarlo sin muchas dificultades?

Pues, para mí, empecé mi aprendizaje del portugués hace tres años y fui al Brasil por un mes hace dos años. Puedes hablar en un nivel básico en poco tiempo, para dominarlo es otro cantar, requiere mas tiempo. Yo pudiera mirar una telenovela sin subtítulos dentro de dos años y medio. Los dos idiomas son bien parecidos, casi 80% de semejanza, pero es el porcentaje restante que hace toda la diferencia. Continuo intentando a mejorar mi portugués, pero ahora puedo leer cualquier libro, mirar pelis y televisión. Puedo viajar en el mundo lusoparlante y hablar y entender (la mayoría de veces) sin problemas, sí.

Un periodista colombiano, Daniel Samper, escribió un artículo chistoso sobre su experiencia en aprender el Portugués (en castellano) Eu não falo português.

Te admiro mucho por tus idiomas, cada uno tan diferente del otro. A veces, creo que estoy demasiado atascado en los idiomas de la península :). Tal vez, el aprendizaje del ladino y su alfabeto hebreo, con algunas palabras turcos, hebreos y árabes, pueda estimularme a aprender un idioma verdaderamente diferente. Pero me gusta tanto las culturas ibéricas y latina-americanas.

Edited by iguanamon on 31 January 2014 at 2:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 85 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version