Message 9 of 52
31 January 2014 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
tarvos wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:
On a related, perhaps more provocative note: Is German the most
Germanic language? And if so why?

no that would be Icelandic

Thanks. So not Faroese then? Is Norwegian then the third most Germanic language?

Nynorsk yes,
Bokmaal no.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 52
31 January 2014 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
tarvos wrote:
patrickwilken wrote:
On a related, perhaps more
provocative note: Is German the most
Germanic language? And if so why?

no that would be Icelandic

Thanks. So not Faroese then? Is Norwegian then the third most Germanic language?

I don't know enough to judge Faroese.
1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5023 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 11 of 52
31 January 2014 at 7:42pm | IP Logged 
A number of ways of construing the question. Is least German to be interpreted as farthest from Proto-Germanic? Or is it the language among the Germanic languages most different from the others? Is the set simply modern Germanic languages, or all Germanic languages dating from the break-up of Proto-Germanic, including languages since gone extinct?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I imagine the question asked is the second one, in which case, I think, yeah, English or Afrikaans is a good candidate.

Edited by ScottScheule on 31 January 2014 at 7:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4085 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 12 of 52
31 January 2014 at 8:47pm | IP Logged 
I remember an old joke, "English is the only Germanic language with a Romance
vocabulary".

But it basically is true. English also has no grammatical gender, the case system
deteriorated, and the usage of "thou" and "ye" disappeared in favour of "you", which
was supposed to be a polite second-person form, I think both accusative and dative
case. It has this silly "do-support" which serves almost no purpose except elongate a
sentence. The SOV clause order disappeared for subordinate clauses, which is basically
used in Dutch, German, Swedish, Norwegian, etc. The OVS word-order for emphasis has
declined in use dramatically.

The distinction between the perfect tenses with "be" and "have" as auxiliary verbs has
declined, i.e., transitive "I have eaten dinner", but intransitive, "I am travelled to
Leiden yesterday". Also used English the Germanic word-order with the past participle
and the second, third, etc. verbs at the end of the clause, it would be, "I am
yesterday to Leiden travelled." That feature has also deteriorated dramatically in
English.

English also lost all noun classes. Its declension of nouns has been confined to adding
"s" as a prefix for most plurals. The "ge-" prefix for past participles disappeared,
which is a Germanic trait. The infinitives of English verbs do not have a uniform
ending like in Dutch or German "-en" as a suffix, nor "-a" like in Swedish/Norwegian.
The infinitive form in English is "to" followed by the stem of the verb and nothing
else. I am not sure if any other Germanic language functions like this.

I do not think that any other Germanic language changed so much like English in such
little time. "Hwæt heðer þou?" insted of "What do you call yourself?" was used in
England at one point, but if one said that now, no one would understand. I remember
reading hereover in Wikipaedia one night, and it stated that Old English, which was
very close to Proto-Germanic, is actually easier for a Germanic non-Anglophone speaker
to understand and read. In other words, it is easier for a Swedish speaker, Dutch
speaker, German speaker, Icelandic speaker, etc. to read and speak Old English than a
Modern English speaker. I have never heard of such an extreme phenomenon for any other
language, that foreign speakers have more chances of understanding its older form than
modern speakers of that language.

Unless English starts reintroducing cases and grammatical gender, so that as an
Anglophone I say, "þeser are miner booker", "I gave þee minen hamen and cheesen
sandwichen", it might even start appearing less like either Germanic and Romance
languages.

Afrikaans had many disappearances like English, but the vocabulary is still
comparatively quite Germanic. Someone from the Netherlands could understand an
Afrikaans speaker without prior study probably. I highly doubt that any Germanic
language speaker can understand almost fully or speak English without prior study.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 01 February 2014 at 6:07am

9 persons have voted this message useful

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6660 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 13 of 52
31 January 2014 at 11:27pm | IP Logged 
albysky wrote:
... of the Germanic language family ? What is your take on that ?

I've often thought this. If you look at Swedish/Norwegian/Danish, they all look very intelligible. Similarly, Dutch/German look very similar. But of you put English alongside them, it looks different.

I think it has something to do with the Norman French conquest of England in 1066, which infused massive amounts of French/Latin into English. If you look at English in the time before the conquest, it looked a lot like Danish.
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4085 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 14 of 52
31 January 2014 at 11:54pm | IP Logged 
English having changed so much is probably about five times as much as how much Norwegian
or Dutch changed in the same period. This is how English sounded when it had all of its
Germanic features:

http://youtu.be/u1ti7iB9cy4?t=20s
4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6498 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 52
01 February 2014 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
Icelandic has roughly the same grammar as in the viking age, and also more or less the same vocabulary. High German has an equally conservative grammar, but its vocabulary has changed more than the Icelandic one. So Icelandic is definitely closer to the roots.

In the other end of the scale we have English with a minimal morphology, extensive loans from non-Germanic languages AND weird things like its double verbal system (a 'simple' one and one based on -ing-forms) and the use of a dummy verb "do". In Dutch and Danish-Norwegian-Swedish the reduction of the morphology has gone almost as far (though these languages have kept two genders etc.), and these languages also have several grammatical quirks - like the postclitic articles of the Nordic languages. Afrikaans has actually reduced its morphology even more than Dutch. But for me the thing that settles the matter is the amount of loanwords from French in English.

And one thing more: the Germanic languages are born in Europe, but apart from Afrikaans as a native language and German as an important secondary language in Southern Africa the other Germanic languages have basically remained in Europe. Only English has really left the cradle.

Edited by Iversen on 02 February 2014 at 11:38pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Marcos_Eich
Diglot
Brazil
Joined 4013 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, English
Studies: German

Message 16 of 52
01 February 2014 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
 English syntax is very similar to Brazilian Portuguese one, especially
the usage of progressive tenses and aspect.

Really? I would like to konw more about it.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version