Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 17 of 52
01 February 2014 at 4:07am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I remember an old joke, "English is the only Germanic language with a
Romance
vocabulary".

But it basically is true. English also has no grammatical gender, the case system
deteriorated, and the usage of "thou" and "ye" disappeared in favour of "you", which
was supposed to be a polite second-person form, I think both accusative and dative
case. It has this silly "do-support" which serves almost no purpose except elongate a
sentence. The SOV clause order disappeared for subordinate clauses, which is basically
used in Dutch, German, Swedish, Norwegian, etc. The OVS word-order for emphasis has
declined in use dramatically.

The distinction between the perfect tenses with "be" and "have" as auxiliary verbs has
declined, i.e., transitive "I have eaten dinner", but intransitive, "I am travelled to
Leiden yesterday". Also used English the Germanic word-order with the past participle
and the second, third, etc. verbs at the end of the clause, it would be, "I am
yesterday to Leiden travelled." That feature has also deteriorated dramatically in
English.

English also lost all noun classes. Its declension of nouns has been confined to adding
"s" as a prefix for most plurals. The "ge-" prefix for past participles disappeared,
which is a Germanic trait. The infinitives of English verbs do not have a uniform
ending like in Dutch or German "-en" as a suffix, nor "-a" like in Swedish/Norwegian.
The infinitive form in English is "to" followed by the stem of the verb and nothing
else. I am not sure if any other Germanic language functions like this.

I do not think that any other Germanic language changed so much like English in such
little time. "Hwæt heðer þou?" insted of "What do you call yourself?" was used in
England at one point, but if one said that now, no one would understand.

Unless English starts reintroducing cases and grammartical gender, so that as an
Anglophone I say, "þeser are miner booker", "I gave thee minen hamen and cheesen
sandwichen", it might even start appearing less like either Germanic and Romance
languages.

Afrikaans had many disappearances like English, but the vocabulary is still
comparatively quite Germanic. Someone from the Netherlands could understand an
Afrikaans speaker without prior study probably. I highly doubt that any Germanic
language speaker can understand almost fully or speak English without prior study.

Wow...What a great knowlegde of your native language. Congratulations.

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 18 of 52
01 February 2014 at 10:04am | IP Logged 
SOV in subclauses is Dutch/German only - not used in Swedish or Norwegian.

The full infinitive in Swedish is att äta, att betala, att fara - the same construction
as in English. That construction is definitely Germanic.

Verbs in Norwegian end in -e usually rather than -a.

OVS word order is not always used for emphasis, but is mandatory in Dutch, German and
Swedish under certain circumstances.

I agree with your general point 1e4e6 but I am going to quibble with the examples
because they don't make sense.

Edited by tarvos on 01 February 2014 at 10:05am

4 persons have voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4328 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 19 of 52
01 February 2014 at 11:59am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I remember an old joke, "English is the only Germanic language with a
Romance vocabulary".

Well there is always Anglish for the purists. Poul Anderson's essay "Uncleftish Beholding" on atomic theory is suitably nerdish.

Edited by patrickwilken on 01 February 2014 at 12:00pm

Stolan
United States
Joined 3827 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 20 of 52
01 February 2014 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I remember an old joke, "English is the only Germanic language with a Romance
vocabulary".

But it basically is true. English also has no grammatical gender, the case system
deteriorated, and the usage of "thou" and "ye" disappeared in favour of "you", which
was supposed to be a polite second-person form, I think both accusative and dative
case. It has this silly "do-support" which serves almost no purpose except elongate a
sentence. ........ Germanic
language speaker can understand almost fully or speak English without prior study.

This is the exact same with Mandarin Chinese compared to other Sino languages. 的得地 are pronounced the same
even though in other dialects, they are said differently. Tone Sandhi is nonexistent nearly unlike Cantonese even
which doesn't have tone sandhi really, but where the word for "Mr" triggers a tone change in certain situations even
and lord forbid Taiwanese Hokkien where each word must agree in tone in an entire sentence through some
confusing paradigm.

Many older Chinese pronunciations are actually closer to other dialects instead of Mandarin.
But Classical reading negates the sound changes.

Measure words (the equivalent of gender) are being ignored in Mandarin nowadays.
I said "San wan fan" and "san tiao yu" but I overheard a native speaker saying "San ge fan" "San ge yu",
everything is now 个.

Only 5-6 vowels unlike the 11 in Cantonese, 4 tones unlike the 6-9 in Cantonese. There are half as many aspect
words as Cantonese, and fewer grammatical triggers for analytical constructions, no reflexive prefixes to change
the meaning of a word, no use of measure words as pseudo articles like Cantonese etc.

On English, English is one of those languages where
NATIVE/DIALECTAL speakers actually REGULARIZE and SIMPLIFY their own language.

German dialects have more irregular plurals and vowel umlauts in comparatives and many more irregular bits than
standard and plenty of pronunciation changes wie "sandhi".

But English dialectal (when left to their own devices) speakers say "I did that good" "He has eated"
"He is older/farther (not elder/further). Nigh/Near/Next is now Near/Nearer/Nearest, they use -s for every single
plural and -ed for every past tense, and don't shift the pronunciation of either based on the previous consonant or
vowel. etc. but a Bavarian would actually make things more irregular and regional.

Our regular plurals just tag on an -s. And vowel changes are nearly nonexistent, likewise, Mandarin has hardly any
of the irregular tonal changes that certain words might trigger lexically in other dialects. The only immediate word
is 不 where the tone rises instead of falls if it comes before the copula. But other dialects have tons more. Mandarin
is pretty much what English will become.

I don't care that English has no cases, conjugations, or gender, but it would please me if it stayed like Icelandic
or even German, or evolved into some isolating yet very specific language like Vietnamese, Thai, or Cantonese.
Those language may not inflect at all but they have many techniques involving no inflection such as emotional
particles, honorifics, measure words, word order, and more "specification"
(Which would be like the "be" vs "have" perfect, "be" vs "worth" passive, "this that and yonder" in Western tongues).
But it is not some Cambodian nor is it even Norwegian at the least,

English is just "null", just plain as heck. Mandarin has gone even further. Persian is in just a bad situation
as English, and Indonesian is kaputt!

Note: I don't really mind the extra vocab that is borrowed. Japanese, Korean, and Vietnamese have an equal amount
of borrowed words from Chinese as English from everything else combined. But I would think that native functional
prefixes and suffixes for word derivation would be extremely helpful. People say "friend" instead of "befriend" now!

Edited by Stolan on 01 February 2014 at 9:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4463 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 21 of 52
02 February 2014 at 1:57am | IP Logged 
Marcos_Eich wrote:
Medulin wrote:
 English syntax is very similar to Brazilian Portuguese one, especially
the usage of progressive tenses and aspect.

Really? I would like to konw more about it.

In many variants of Spanish and in Italian, you can use the simple verbal form more often than not
instead of the progressive form: ¿Qué haces? -Como.

In Brazilian Portuguese and English: What do you do? - I eat Que faz? - Como
would sound dated or poetic with the meaning of What are you doing? I'm eating. - O que está fazendo? -Estou comendo.

Edited by Medulin on 02 February 2014 at 2:11am

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4463 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 22 of 52
02 February 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

Verbs in Norwegian end in -e usually rather than -a.

In Nynorsk it's perfectly permitted (if not preferred) to use the -a infinitive:   å verta ''to become''

Here is the distribution of infinitive endings in Norwegian dialects:

Jamvekt (''split infinitive'") means some verbs take -a while others take -e (this is also allowed in Nynorsk,
so, for example, one can write å byrja ''to begin'' and å snakke ''to speak'' even in the same sentence if they wish).

Edited by Medulin on 02 February 2014 at 2:06am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Stolan
United States
Joined 3827 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 23 of 52
03 February 2014 at 2:39am | IP Logged 
One thing I am come to add back is the big question of why English grammar is the way it is.
We have been told the usual viking impact had something to do with it by John McWhorter, and the others claim
some Norman Creole hypothesis, but by the time of Middle English, the only truly big thing that we are familiar
with that is missing is gender.

V2 was there, so was inalienable and alienable possession, marking for the past participle form, to be vs have
perfect, "worth" passive, fully functioning modal verbs that were not defective, thou vs ye, no useless do-support,
more ways to form plurals (kine for cow, treen for tree), etc.

The real divergence took place for me around the great vowel shift where several vowels were lost
(American English is down to 10 vowels, while German still has 16 and Swedish/Norwegian 17-19)
And the lack of "whither, whence" also occurred thereafter and features were lost even in the late 17th century.

I don't think it was just some Viking or Norman invasion of sorts. Something really happened along the way that
caused a failure on the part of native speakers to transmit grammar and many more across long generation, and it
is continuing.

I mean, why do our native or dialectal speakers simplify their own language? We used to distinguish
between verbs that are naturally imperfect and thus could not take the progressive,
but now people say "I am knowing this", and I heard someone say "oxes" just to rub it in.

If we were losing stuff that was being replaced at a steady rate, we would be speaking something like
a conservative Austronesian language (not Indonesian, not even Tongan) or Cambodian (18 vowels, 12 diphthongs)
which are uninflecting languages with plenty of specifications. But English is null.

Edited by Stolan on 03 February 2014 at 3:06am

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4417 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 24 of 52
03 February 2014 at 2:44am | IP Logged 
In English, we often use the verb "to be" where German would demand werden (to become). I'm not sure if
this observation holds true with other Germanic languages.

This discussion contains 52 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version