Lithuania
Joined 4600 days ago

91 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Russian, German
Studies: FrenchB1, Spanish

Message 33 of 55
02 August 2014 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
Paco wrote:
Do you have the book of "La pratique de l'anglais"? I would be grateful if you could tell
us more about it and where people can locate one.

If you still need it, there is a relative abundance of them on French Amazon site.

I have a copy of it but I have still not had an opportunity to read it from cover to cover. The language seems to be dated but, on the other hand, there are many words that I have to think a little in order to remember or find out their meaning. So, I would say that it seems to me to be useful for expanding my vocabulary.
1 person has voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5133 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 34 of 55
02 August 2014 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
Antanas wrote:
There is at least one edition of La Pratique du Néerlandais that precedes the one that was discontinued lately. The later one was written by Leon Verlee. That is the same author who is credited with Le nouvel neerlandais sans peine. I have a copy of the older edition that was printed in 1971. It has no author mentioned. The first lesson is called Geen graap. In its introduction this course is described as a continuation of Le neerlandais sans peine. So, this one is the "real" first generation advanced Dutch course. There are 75 lessons. They are completely different from those in Verlee's edition.

My edition of La Pratique du néerlandais, printed in 1982, is authored by L. Verlee, and the first lesson is "Nederland zoals het is." The introduction to my copy also says it "constitue la suite logique du "Néerlandais sans peine"."

If a previous edition exists, it would indeed be a first generation course, and this one a second generation.

Antanas
Tetraglot
Groupie
Lithuania
Joined 4600 days ago

91 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Russian, German
Studies: FrenchB1, Spanish

Message 35 of 55
03 August 2014 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Antanas wrote:
There is at least one edition of La Pratique du Néerlandais that precedes the one that was discontinued lately. The later one was written by Leon Verlee. That is the same author who is credited with Le nouvel neerlandais sans peine. I have a copy of the older edition that was printed in 1971. It has no author mentioned. The first lesson is called Geen graap. In its introduction this course is described as a continuation of Le neerlandais sans peine. So, this one is the "real" first generation advanced Dutch course. There are 75 lessons. They are completely different from those in Verlee's edition.

My edition of La Pratique du néerlandais, printed in 1982, is authored by L. Verlee, and the first lesson is "Nederland zoals het is." The introduction to my copy also says it "constitue la suite logique du "Néerlandais sans peine"."

If a previous edition exists, it would indeed be a first generation course, and this one a second generation.

My copy of Verlee's La pratique du neerlandais (the first lesson is indeed called "Nederland zoals het is") is printed in 2009 but the copyright is indicated as dating from 1978. If you look at the French Amazon site, you will see that the oldest edition of Le nouvel neerlandais sans peine available is published in 1981. That may mean that Assimil published Verlee's advanced Dutch course earlier than the elementary one. Perhaps this explains why his advanced Dutch course is presented in its intro as a sequel to Le neerlandais sans peine rather than to Le nouvel neerlandais sans peine.

Non-Verlee edition of La pratique du neerlandais does exist, I assure you.

According to criteria provided by YnEoS, both editions can be considered to be "first generation".

Edited by Antanas on 03 August 2014 at 12:33am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5353 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 36 of 55
03 August 2014 at 1:06am | IP Logged 
I can confirm that - I have a copy of the pre-Verlee La Pratique du Neerlandais. I
assume there must be records for it, although I have never seen them.

I also have the gothic type and non gothic type versions of the La Pratique d'Allemand
together with the records for the later extended version. I really can't see how anyone
could get through the gothic type version these days, it is so alien to look at.     
4 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5133 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 37 of 55
03 August 2014 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
This is quite interesting. I was examining today a beautiful copy of Le Russe sans peine printed in 1967 which I just received, and on the first pages where the different language courses available from Assimil are listed, there are La Pratique de l'allemand, l'anglais and l'espagnol, but no néerlandais, which means it went out of print entirely before being reissued in a new edition. My Italien sans peine from 1970, Latin from 1966 and Grec from 1966 are also without reference to La Pratique du néerlandais. Now I wish I could find a copy for my collection.

I didn't know either there was a Pratique de l'allemand entirely in Gothic script. Even though my German is well past the point where I might profit much from one such course, I might obtain it for my collection, as well as to get a good workout with the Gothic script, which is very necessary to know as many important German books are only available through antiquarian copies printed in it. It can also double as an advanced French course.

Edited by Juаn on 03 August 2014 at 1:48am

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4042 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 38 of 55
03 August 2014 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the new information Antanas.

I forget if it was mentioned here before or not, but older editions of L'Allemand Sans Peine transition to using the Gothic Script after a certain lesson. Then it was later updated with the original lesson introducing the script being the only one to use it, and returning to normal afterwards. Sounds like when they re-did the La Pratique de l'Allemand for the script they also fleshed out the course a bit more as well.

I've edited the first post calling the German course an updated 1st gen, and the Dutch course an alternate 1st gen. If anyone think there's a more useful/accurate way to label these let me know.

I'm sure if we could catalog every printing and every recording of each course some fascinating little changes and details would come forth.

Paco
Hong Kong
Joined 4065 days ago

145 posts - 251 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*

Message 39 of 55
03 August 2014 at 7:26am | IP Logged 
Antanas,

Thank you. I am not in need of it actually; rather, I think you can help fill the gap of
our information about La pratique de l'anglais.

By the way, I will try to collect one when I travel to Europe, but not now, since
shipping to where I am costs way more.

Arnaud25
Diglot
France
Joined 3630 days ago

129 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Russian

Message 40 of 55
03 August 2014 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to answer for "La pratique de l'anglais".
It contains 46 lessons, each lesson containing about 40-45 phrases. 438 pages
Written by A.Cherel, cartoons by Pierre Soymier and Robert Gring.
It's very similar in its format to the "pratique de l'allemand".
If you have questions, just ask.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 55 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version