United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4416 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 17 of 17
18 February 2014 at 10:31am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:

Scotland, on the other hand, may well achieve independence, but the state of Scottish
Gaelic is far worse (I believe) even than Irish, and I doubt if independence would
help.

Funnily enough, I haven't heard any reference to the Gaelic language in the independence debates. Not even a bit of scaremongering from the "No" campaign claiming that an independent Scotland would "force Gaelic down out throats"

Scots Gaelic really has retreated to the remote parts of the Highlands and Islands. By contrast, I was on holiday in North Wales last year and heard lots of people speaking Welsh in the streets, both young and old.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version