leroc
United States
Joined 4100 days ago

114 posts - 167 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 17 of 24
05 February 2014 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
From all my friends I have personally met on my Facebook feed..

English, Arabic, German, Norwegian, Italian, and Spanish.
1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5850 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 18 of 24
05 February 2014 at 9:56pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
Luso wrote:
My very few friends already think I'm crazy. If I like a page called "Learn useless Mokshan", they'll know for sure.

I get Portuguese, English and Arabic. Every now and then, there's something in Spanish.

That's a fantastic page! Mokshan is great, I love that almost ANYTHING can be personally conjugated.

From the Wikipedia: "Its closest relative is the Erzya language, with which it is not intelligible".

Yes, sounds like a riot. :D

I know how you feel, Henkkles. I'm learning an Indo-European language that's as close to mine as Finnish and Mokshan (let me add "probably", because there's bound to be someone on the forum that will not agree). I chose this one because the name reminds of the Sanskrit word for "liberation". Didn't mean to pick on Uralic languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

svalbard
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4067 days ago

5 posts - 10 votes
Speaks: German*, English

Message 19 of 24
06 February 2014 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
It used to be: German, English, Swedish, Icelandic, Russian, Ukrainian
Since I spend a semester in Lithuania as an Erasmus student the amount of different
languages kind of exploded though and I can add:
Portuguese, Spanish, French, Dutch, Italian, Slovak, Czech, Hungarian, Turkish, Romanian,
Lithuanian, Latvian, Polish and Korean.
My Facebook feed makes me feel like I live in the Tower of Babel sometimes ;)

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4477 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 20 of 24
06 February 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
I guess my FB friends are insufficiently "interesting," as it is extraordinarily rare for
me to see a post in anything other than English. From time to time I'll see friends of
friends comment on posts from friends, the comments being in Spanish when the original
post was in English. (I sometimes post things myself together with a brief comment in
Hebrew or German but that's about it.)

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5123 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 21 of 24
07 February 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
I guess my FB friends are insufficiently "interesting," as it is extraordinarily rare for
me to see a post in anything other than English. From time to time I'll see friends of
friends comment on posts from friends, the comments being in Spanish when the original
post was in English. (I sometimes post things myself together with a brief comment in
Hebrew or German but that's about it.)

Foreign does not equal interesting :-)

You have probably heard of the Polish king about whom they said that he was fluent in 8 languages, but he did not have anything sensible to say in either of them.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6386 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 24
07 February 2014 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
Language practice is the best thing about facebook for me. I added many people for the game Criminal Case, and it's a great excuse to friend random people from Brazil, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, the Balkan countries etc. The most common languages on my timeline are definitely Portuguese and Spanish. I've given up adding random Scandinavians because they post in English anyway. From the languages I'm not learning, the ones I see most are Bulgarian, Macedonian and French.

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4440 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 23 of 24
07 February 2014 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
Quote:

You have probably heard of the Polish king about whom they said that he was fluent in 8 languages, but he did not have anything sensible to say in either of them.

Which king was that? I heard that anecdote multiple times, but never learned which king it referred to...

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4233 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 24 of 24
07 February 2014 at 11:13pm | IP Logged 
In the past 10 years Cantonese usage in social media like Facebook really picked up. In the old days writing
Chinese using Cantonese vocabulary & grammar was considered in appropriate. Every Chinese in Hong Kong
learned to write using proper Mandarin grammar. After the handover of HK to China in 1997, the use of
Cantonese in writing really picked up as HK tries to maintain its distinct society within China. To the Western
audience they are just Chinese characters. But a person who is educated in Chinese can tell the difference between
somebody writing in Cantonese & Mandarin.

This discussion contains 24 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version