BOLIO
United States
Joined 4464 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 344
15 February 2014 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Thank you very much. I will play around with the keyboard.

I look forward to "Bloodhounding" one day!
1 person has voted this message useful

Caymane
United Kingdom
Joined 3914 days ago

29 posts - 31 votes

Message 18 of 344
15 February 2014 at 10:22pm | IP Logged 
As a fellow Spanish learner I enjoy reading your log. You seem to have a good opportunity to use it in your daily life! :)

I love this site too, it's great to have a place to keep a log of things. Are you thinking of taking a Spanish exam at any point? I'm aiming to take the Spanish DELE B2 exam by september time this year, in order to push myself to study! :D

Best of luck!

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4464 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 19 of 344
18 February 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Caymane, thanks for dropping in!

I had a GREAT weekend of Spanish. My wife's aunt and uncle came in from Mexico. Also, we had my mother-in-law, brother-in-law and sister-in-law in the same house. It was non-stop Spanish for me and my ears.

For fun we went to the "Pulga". La Pulga is a huge flea market in the city and it is made up of vendors who conduct 99% of their business in Spanish. It was great! There was music playing everywhere and the concessions are mostly Mexican and Salvadorean. We had Gorditas and Papusas, all kinds of fruit and plenty of tacos Pastor. It was very fun and I enjoy myself every time I go. I made myself speak to the vendors and haggle with them. As always, my mouth does not want to work when it should. But I tell myself that if I try then they will at least respect or like the fact that I am trying to learn. Producing the language is the hardest part for me.

On a side note, following two or more persons outside of yourself in a foreign language is harder than you and one other person. Even though the same words are being used...the more speakers in the conversation, the harder it was for me to follow.

As far as structured learning, I spent time doing Assimil 4-6 active. I also spent time with my Anki but I am behind schedule with it and I am behind a lesson or two on the Passive Assimil. I did spend a couple of hours over the weekend with Madrigals' Majic Key. I really enjoy the way that book is put together.

I also watched a movie with my wife's aunt and uncle. They spoke much more quickly in this movie than my episodes of Destinos :)

I am looking forward to doing one Passive and one Active lesson of Assimil today. I also need to get caught up on my Anki. If I can get that done today then I will be happy with my Spanish for the day.
2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7044 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 20 of 344
19 February 2014 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
Wow, we seem to be on opposite ends of talent. I feel that the hardest part is listening
and that listening to other people talk is easier.

Anyway, keep enjoying it! It's the best teacher.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4464 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 21 of 344
20 February 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Well, I just keep clicking along. Assimil is getting harder and I am only on lesson 12. If I just listen to the words without looking at the book in either language, I miss a few words. I get the overall direction of the short conversations but the details can escape me.

My ears do not work the way they should. I need to see it written. But I rely too much on this because when two people meet in the real world, they do not stand next to each other and pass written notes...they speak.

I have still not caught up on my ANKI but will get it done tonight. I may do the ACTIVE for the Assimil lessons 8-10 but it may be this weekend before I complete it.

I am still very excited about learning the language and this blog helps me stay accountable and I am thankful for all things on this site.

On a side note, I am having trouble finding Iverson's "Bloodhound" post. For some reason it is not showing up for me.

Thanks again.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5671 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 22 of 344
21 February 2014 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
This is the thread where i read about it:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=9627&PN=26&TPN=3#96907

I don't know if they ever expanded on it or not though. The idea is to stop trying to process what you hear, stop trying to convert what you hear into something intelligible for you and just focus on the sounds, trying to make out the individual sounds you hear. You'll likely be surprised by how much you can make out.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4464 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 

Message 23 of 344
21 February 2014 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Crush. It is very interesting and I look forward to using it.

I finally got caught up on all my ANKI decks. I really enjoy it. I spent some time yesterday reading Iversons method for learning vocab. I think I have the process down. I am excited about doing it. Since my eyes are currently my friends and my ears are my enemy, I think the combination of the word list and better listening will help me move forward.

Iverson's process for vocab and the Goldlist method make sense to me. It is interesting how different members who can speak many languages with wonderful results can have such opposite processes.

On a side note, my wife is taking notice to the increase in my vocabulary. I like the idea of us speaking Spanish in our house as the primary language one day.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7044 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 24 of 344
21 February 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
BOLIO wrote:
my eyes are my friends and my ears are my enemy

I think I just found a new motto. :)

This discussion contains 344 messages over 43 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version