Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Teaching Languages at School: Strategies?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
45 messages over 6 pages: 1 24 5 6  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 45
17 February 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
Based on personal experiences, I went through high school French until graduation. In the early years the curriculum included mostly verb conjugations and simple things such as telling time, days of the week, months, etc. And in the senior years we started reading short stories and 1 novel. To get from very basic vocabulary to reading a novel was like a quantum leap. Many of the students who was getting good marks started struggling.
Yeah, this article deals a lot with the problems related to the classroom/traditional way of using reading.

When you're a beginner, you read intensively. That's often good. (though if the language is very similar to one you speak, extensive reading should be included from the beginning) Reading short texts intensively makes sense. Reading a whole book intensively makes far less sense, especially when every week you need to read 10-50 pages. But of course most strategies described in the article are considered lazy by teachers, grrrr.

And the length/consistency matters a lot. As I wrote there, unadapted collections of short stories by different authors are the worst.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 45
17 February 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
Not quite related, but an article about texting and how it's actually good and how teachers should take advantage of that.
1 person has voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3795 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 19 of 45
18 February 2014 at 11:57pm | IP Logged 
I think the first thing is having teachers who actually 1) Care about teaching their
language and want to foster an interest in language learning and 2) Actually know the
language that they're teaching.

Maybe these are just problems in inner-city schools but I remember having a Spanish I
teacher in high school who couldn't even speak Spanish. She was the cheerleader coach
or whatever who was thrust into the position. All we did everyday in her class was go
to the chapter of the day and write down all the "vocaba-larry-o" into our note books.
She would get tapes from the other Spanish teacher (who was a native speaker) and show
those in class. Since we were bored we started talking in class and she would always
tell us to shut up and that we need to practice making sentences with the vocabulary.
How in the hell we were supposed to do is anyone's guess. Needless to say we left her
class with the exact same knowledge we had when we went in.

My Spanish II teacher was much better. She was not a native speaker but she had majored
in Spanish and was fluent. The Hispanic kids would always talk to her in Spanish and
she was really good. However, those of us in Ms. Sneed's class knew nothing and
therefore had no clue what on Earth she was talking about when she was teaching. She
was engaging and the class was fun but she spent most of the year teaching the material
we should've learned in Spanish I (the alphabet, the articles, etc.) It was a shame
really because that had been my first time being in a language class in a decade.

Truth be told my old school district had way more problems than the usual crappy
language curriculum. A few months ago the district was shut down and absorbed into
Houston Independent School District. Nothing of value was lost.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4157 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 20 of 45
19 February 2014 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig wrote:
I think the first thing is having teachers who actually 1) Care about teaching their
language and want to foster an interest in language learning and 2) Actually know the
language that they're teaching.

Maybe these are just problems in inner-city schools but I remember having a Spanish I
teacher in high school who couldn't even speak Spanish. She was the cheerleader coach
or whatever who was thrust into the position. All we did everyday in her class was go
to the chapter of the day and write down all the "vocaba-larry-o" into our note books.
She would get tapes from the other Spanish teacher (who was a native speaker) and show
those in class. Since we were bored we started talking in class and she would always
tell us to shut up and that we need to practice making sentences with the vocabulary.
How in the hell we were supposed to do is anyone's guess. Needless to say we left her
class with the exact same knowledge we had when we went in.

My Spanish II teacher was much better. She was not a native speaker but she had majored
in Spanish and was fluent. The Hispanic kids would always talk to her in Spanish and
she was really good. However, those of us in Ms. Sneed's class knew nothing and
therefore had no clue what on Earth she was talking about when she was teaching. She
was engaging and the class was fun but she spent most of the year teaching the material
we should've learned in Spanish I (the alphabet, the articles, etc.) It was a shame
really because that had been my first time being in a language class in a decade.

Truth be told my old school district had way more problems than the usual crappy
language curriculum. A few months ago the district was shut down and absorbed into
Houston Independent School District. Nothing of value was lost.

Wow, that reminds me too much of my high school French class, although at least our teachers did know the language. After 5 years of it, the teacher who taught all of the levels (I went to a very small school) ended up having to take a medical leave, and the woman who came in to replace her essentially had to try and teach us basic French. After 5 years, all we did was watch movies (sometimes in French, mostly in English) and cook a few times. Needless to say, a class of seniors wasn't exactly in the mood to need to learn, and it was essentially a free period.

Hard to believe a requirement should be something as basic as knowing the language and wanting to teach it!

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 21 of 45
19 February 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
Does anyone actually learn to speak a foreign language at school, unless it's a language perceived to be very useful and one that the kids will actually be exposed to outside the classroom?

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3795 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 22 of 45
19 February 2014 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Does anyone actually learn to speak a foreign language at school, unless
it's a language perceived to be very useful and one that the kids will actually be
exposed to outside the classroom?

It doesn't seem like it does it? I've heard that in Canada they learn French for years
and a lot of Canadians don't speak a word of it. That's the thing about language
learning in schools. It should be an option and not required. When you require it, most
kids don't take it seriously and see it as a waste of time. Even IF the language is
useful in the country and there are chances to be exposed.

Also if you're going to have a foreign language curriculum then you need to start it
early. In Texas, the only time you learn a language in public school is in high school
and you only take it for two years. You can learn quite a bit of a language in two
years but if you're just doing the classroom work then you're not going to get very
far.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5218 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 23 of 45
19 February 2014 at 2:23pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Does anyone actually learn to speak a foreign language at school, unless it's a language
perceived to be very useful and one that the kids will actually be exposed to outside the classroom?

This post goes to the heart of the matter. Who says that the goal of most high school language teaching
programs is to actually teach how to speak the language? In the vast majority of cases, languages are an
academic subject like any other. The goal is to get through a curriculum and exams.

If language performance were the real goal, then the first step would be to use the language as a medium of
instruction and starting at an early age. This is exactly what is done in those international schools that can be
found in major cities around the world. The results are usually very good. Otherwise It tends to be very
inefficient.

I would also add that with all this talk about how high school courses suck, mention should be made of the lack
of interest on the part of students. Frankly, I think the problem lies mainly with the students who have little need
and little interest in the subject.

2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 24 of 45
19 February 2014 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

I would also add that with all this talk about how high school courses suck, mention should be made of the lack
of interest on the part of students. Frankly, I think the problem lies mainly with the students who have little need
and little interest in the subject.

Yes, you can be an ethusiastic teacher with a great command of the language but if you're faced with a bunch of lower-ability 14-year-olds who don't give a rat's ass about Spanish, French or whatever, you've got your work cut out.

It's easy to take pot-shots at a teacher but learning is a two-way thing.

Edited by beano on 19 February 2014 at 2:31pm

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version