Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Teaching Languages at School: Strategies?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
45 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5
beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4410 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 41 of 45
20 February 2014 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Frankly, I don't think languages can be taught for actual speaking, especially in large classes. The problem is language is being taught like a subject. As I have said earlier, the only way to get students to actually speak (and write) is to make the language the medium of instruction. In other words, to not teach the language but teach in the language.

Mind you, I've seen footage of huge classes in Africa (50+ kids) being taught English oral skills by looking at pictures and chanting in unison. Things like "I see the sky. I can see a cloud" Ok, you need a certain cultural mindset for this teaching method to be practicle but there must be something in it. As Benny the Irish polyglot succinctly puts it, you don't actually learn to speak a language until you start speaking in the language.

I do think schools should try and instil some oral proficiency rather than regard languages as purely academic subjects. Of coure I realise it's much easier said than done.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mausi15
United Kingdom
Joined 4685 days ago

24 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, French

Message 42 of 45
05 March 2014 at 7:30pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
In Scotland, even the kids aged 16-18 who take languages at higher levels seriously struggle to build
sentences involving common verbs. As for conditional tenses, forget it. Now, we are talking about intelligent
young adults here who have purposely chosen to study a language, not 14-year-olds with poor academic
ability who don't give two hoots about learning French or German.

Something is wrong somewhere. I think part of the problem is that there is still far too much emphasis on
reading texts and answering questions about them (in English).

Hmmm. I do Advanced Higher German (and French), did Higher last year, and shall be studying German at university starting this September. There is a large element of truth in your statement, I have to admit. Without meaning to sound totally up myself, when I did Higher the 3 other pupils in the class had difficulty expressing themselves using basic language (only one doing AH :p). It is a shame... Also, I agree with you about there being too much emphasis on reading texts/answering questions in  English. The AH reading papers are basically an exercise in translating the entire passage into English. I don't actually particularly mind that personally, but when it comes to the translation section of the paper, what annoys me is that the marking scheme is so erratic - it's difficult to know how much 'poetic licence' you can take, so to speak.
I'm lucky to have the chance to converse with a native language assistant every week, though, which is great. I find that it helps especially when you're unsure of which phrase to use, ie which one would sound best to native ears.
Also, just a general comment, but it's saddening to observe the sorry state of language learning in Scottish schools. I found out that there are only about 4-5 of us in the whole of Aberdeen doing AH German. :(

Edited by mausi15 on 05 March 2014 at 7:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 43 of 45
05 March 2014 at 7:46pm | IP Logged 
Answering in English might be something specific to the UK, actually. at least I've never had a language class where it was okay to reply questions in Russian. You could often get away with picking an existing sentence from the text, and with multiple choice you also don't produce anything, but at least you read L2 aloud.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4495 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 44 of 45
05 March 2014 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Answering in English might be something specific to the UK, actually.
at least I've never had a language class where it was okay to reply questions in Russian.
You could often get away with picking an existing sentence from the text, and with
multiple choice you also don't produce anything, but at least you read L2 aloud.
э

Somehow Dutch kids seem to have to reply in Dutch now.

Certainly didn't help the language levels go up.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4616 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 45 of 45
06 March 2014 at 12:08am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
There's a nice expression in English that may be appropriate here:
Who died and made you king? That being
said, to return to the OP, there is a basic flaw in the very premise of the debate:
schools attempt to teach
languages; independent learners learn languages.

There is a fundamental difference in perspective here. Contrary to what some people
seem to believe around
here, there is considerable research and activity in the field of what is called SLA
(Second language acquisition)
but what I would call SLT (Second language teaching). But it is all concentrated on the
model of the teacher
teaching.

On the other hand, we have little more than anecdotal research on independent learning.

Frankly, I don't think languages can be taught for actual speaking, especially in large
classes. The problem is
language is being taught like a subject. As I have said earlier, the only way to get
students to actually speak (and
write) is to make the language the medium of instruction. In other words, to not teach
the language but teach in
the language.

This solves the problem of motivation and lack on interest or need on the part of
students. This was, and is, the
fundamental idea behind the French immersion school movement in Canada.

I was talking to someone earlier this evening about the situation in Wales, where, as
you probably know, only a minority of the Welsh population are able to speak Welsh
(although I think that number has been rising steadily), and even fewer speak it as a
first language (and that number continues to shrink, I believe).

I have no idea about numbers, but some schools are "Welsh medium", in which all
subjects are taught in Welsh, except English, which is taught as a subject.

In other schools, Welsh must be taught up to the age of sixteen, and in addition one
subject must also be taught in Welsh (e.g. Chemistry, Physics, Maths, etc). The latter
requirement has been in place for many years it seems, although the former one is more
recent.

The state of Welsh in Wales leaves no room for complacency for supporters of the
language, but on the other hand, the previous decline of the language appears to have
been reversed, although the shrinking number of first-language speakers is still a
cause for concern.

But in relation to this debate, and following from the points you have made above, it
does show that "ordinary" subjects (Maths, Chemistry, etc), can be taught in a
language other than the first language of the pupils.

Maybe this model could be adopted in other countries, outside of the rather special
situation existing in a country with a threatened language (like Welsh, Irish S.Gaelic,
Breton...). e.g. In England, pupils deemed to be studying German, as well as having
periods of German, could study, say Maths in German.

In Germany, pupils studying Russian, could study, say, Chemistry in Russian, etc.

(I can see that time-tabling could be difficult, but it always is in any case...).

Motivation has been talked about, and most pupils seem unable to be motivated about any
language other than English at the moment. Well, by forcing them to study a "proper"
subject in a second-language, you've just given them a new motivation to learn that
language properly (and quickly).

Needs a lot of careful handling, obviously, but who ever said that teaching school
pupils was easy?

This discussion contains 45 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version