Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Long term timescales for your wish list?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
20 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4984 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 9 of 20
25 February 2014 at 2:00am | IP Logged 
The older you get the harder it is to learn new things (ok, only marginally harder). But most of us are not 18 any more. My long-term linguistic plan was to get all major desired languages started before I am 35... which happens in about 3 years.

In recent years I have been starting around one new language a year. So in theory I could start Mandarin, Dutch and Portuguese before my deadline. Satisfactory. And after that, only start easier (e.g. Norwegian) or less useful (e.g. Occitan) languages.

I also have a number of neglected languages which require major input in coming years: Swedish, Japanese, Catalan to name but a few.

Remember: Perfect Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Polyglottery :)
3 persons have voted this message useful

jayjayvp
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3871 days ago

26 posts - 40 votes
Speaks: English, Dutch*, German, Afrikaans
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 10 of 20
25 February 2014 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
I hope to wind up my French studies by the end of 2014. If I make comparable progress as
I have over the past six months I should be at a comfortable level and slowly relegate
French to 'extensive' level and start working on Russian. I'm also taking some Spanish
now, courtesy of Duolingo and will take it up seriously some time in the future, but for
now I aim to drop it the moment Duolingo starts offering a Russian for English path. My
vaguest guess is that Russian will keep me occupied for the best part of the coming four
to five years.

Edited by jayjayvp on 25 February 2014 at 7:41pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Spanky
Canada
Joined 5751 days ago

1021 posts - 1714 votes 
Studies: French

Message 11 of 20
25 February 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
yantai_scot wrote:
I'm just curious with the interesting thread on peoples' hit/ dream
lists. Have people got tentitive plans that cover the next few years
or longer?

Wadd'ya mean, like over a 20 year period? That would be madness....
3 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4663 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 12 of 20
25 February 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
When I started to focus on Korean, it was clear to me that I couldn't handle another language alongside until I'd be comfortable with native materials. I stuck to that realization and started Persian this year, now that I'm approaching or at a passive B2 in Korean.

There have been other ideas and languages I wanted to start, but in the end I think sticking with the plan was the best thing I ever did. I have to really get into a language to progress considerably and in a language like Korean anything less than considerable progress feels like no progress at all.

The next thing I have planned is to start Mandarin whenever I find that I have time and mental space to dedicate to it. At the earliest that is next year. I'll probably start by studying characters via Korean.

I feel comfortable studying two languages as different as Persian and Korean at the same time, but with Mandarin, I think I'd feel most comfortable if I had a passive C1, active B2 level in Korean when I start. However, I'm not sure when and if I'm going to get there with Korean, it's a long road.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 13 of 20
26 February 2014 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to mention the timescales I might have to deal with.

In the case of languages I wouldn't be learning from scratch, I expect to start Spanish
in 4 months after I'll have been through both intermediate Assimil German. That is,
unless I decide I need to take extra courses. Then I'd do a few Assimils for Spanish
too, and go for Italian and so on.

As for languages I'd start from scratch, the waiting line is much longer. I have 4
books to finsih for Georgian then I'd go for native materials and leave room for
Estonian. Then I'd start working on Estonian for long while keeping working on Russian
and Chinese. I believe next year I'd be able to drop Russian textbooks and start
Indonesian. You see, time scales are long. I believe it takes me at last 1 year/1 year
and a half to start a language from scratch with no relative languages I could use
vocabulary crutches for and reach an intermediate level for it at which I could drop
textbooks.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 14 of 20
26 February 2014 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
I try not to think long-term because plans always change, but on the long-term horizon I
have Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Czech, Mandarin, Spanish, Swahili and Malagasy for sure.
However that means I will probably end up studying Levantine Arabic next, which is why I
don't plan (I initially didn't plan to do Korean at all, and since I will be going to
Transylvania in a month... I might just do Hungarian...)
2 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5002 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 15 of 20
27 February 2014 at 11:26am | IP Logged 
Right now my long-term plan is to just keep working on French, Italian and Spanish. At my current rate it's going to take me at least a few years to reach a good level in all of them. I'd also like to learn Greek at some point but I don't know when I'll fit it in; I wouldn't be aiming for the same advanced level that I am with the others, as it's hard and I don't have lots of time, but it would be nice to be somewhat conversational; it's the language of half my family after all.
2 persons have voted this message useful

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4597 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 16 of 20
28 February 2014 at 4:09pm | IP Logged 
@Spanky - Laoshu on youtube has a whiteboard with about 40 languages for some point in
the future...are we talking good insane or bad insane?

@chokofingrz - I'm adopting that as my motto!

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version