Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Long term timescales for your wish list?

Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
20 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
EnglishEagle
United Kingdom
Joined 4370 days ago

140 posts - 157 votes 
Studies: English*, German

Message 17 of 20
28 May 2014 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
B1 Spanish by the beginning of September starting from scratch just recently. I have 2 months off of school and so I
can dedicate 100's of hours to it.

By the end of 2014 I hope to be conversational in German so about a B1 level.

Then by the end of 2017 hopefully B1 in Russian, Japanese or Mandarin (that will be decided nearer the time). I've
started language learning earlier than some as I am only 16 so I am in no rush.
1 person has voted this message useful

Penelope
Diglot
Greece
Joined 3664 days ago

110 posts - 155 votes 
Speaks: English, French
Studies: Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 18 of 20
29 May 2014 at 9:20am | IP Logged 
My plans are more about completing courses, rather than having a time limit. Mainly because my life (as most people's of course) is very full with other things and my daily timetable changes. Completing a course though is a versatile goal that never gets you out of schedule. The only rule: I don't allow too many days between studying sessions because I forget and have to start over!

So, I have examined several courses, methods, etc., and matched each language I am interested in with a course, or books.

For example, FSI for turkish, assimil for russian, MT for a language that I don't have great ambitions about, and so on.

As for which languages, obviously I have started close to home. Turkish, hebrew, Italian for now. At some point I must deal with russian and German. I like all european languages actually, but for the rest even completing MT and pimsleur would make me happy, because I don't dream about mastering too many languages, I just want to be able to talk to people.

Of course, some languages I do want to master as mush as possible: turkish, french, German.

The big prize for me will be arabic, eventually. I've had the TY books in my library since highschool, so it has been an ambition for years, but I have never started learning. It's definitely intimidating, but I know that if I start I will never stop learning it.

Somehow all the asian and scandinavian languages never caught my attention. Maybe that will change in the distant future, but for now, beginning my long journey in language learning, I am still sailing around the mediterranean.

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3842 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 19 of 20
02 June 2014 at 10:51am | IP Logged 
This kind of thread is very dangerous for me.
I wrote down once (just as a game) the list of languages I wanted to study and they
were something around 50. Let's say, mostly I'm interested in passive skills because
most of the use for languages will be reading books, listening radio and songs and
watching series, movies and documentaries. As a direct consequence, I'm more interested
to languages that can give me nice resources. So more or less I have to conquer the
Europe and part of Asia.

Said that, this last year was a mess for me. I put my hands on just too many languages.
I started than dropped Icelandic (now restarted for 40 days for a travel in Iceland),
started and put on hold Mandarin and Persian, dropped and restarted twice Dutch,
restarted French (my second best language), started German and Norwegian (Norwegian, by
the way, as a passive only). If only I kept studying solely Dutch...

Anyway, I learnt a lot in this year about how to learn a language and I also progressed
(a bit slowly but consistently) with my languages. Now I restarted to study Mandarin, a
sort of... I'm studying the kangi because I need to start Japanese in the 2015 because
I will have most probably a travel there.

I would like to start Spanish and Romenian in the 2015 but it is better to avoid. I a
level to reach in my languages and continuing add more languages will make only even
more difficult to reach it.

By the way, In the 2015 I will probably activate Dutch and keep studying German and
Norwegian in background for passive skills, I will finalize French and I will probably
restart English to finalize it (it is still quite rusty). And I will start Japanese
(with that language my goal are mostly passive comprehension and basic galanteries, at
least at this time).

I don't really think I have more space. I will buy books in Icelandic so I will mantain
and slowly add vocabulary but it will be a relaxed thing. As soon as my passive
understanding in Norwegian will be around B1/B2 I will try with Danish. I realistically
don't think I can start Swedish before the 2016.
Anyway, I will force myself to use the golden rule "not more than a new language per
year" (that I will realistically break every year I guess...).

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6951 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 20 of 20
16 July 2014 at 6:11am | IP Logged 
My vague wish list since I joined this forum 10 years ago has been to attain fluency in Polish and Slovak, and regain it for German and Hungarian. Since that time I've been involved with other languages and now add Finnish to Polish and Slovak as the "new" languages in which I want to become fluent. God knows when all of this will come to pass.

In addition, I've recently added to my wish list by accounting for the Turkic languages. The dream is that after having got myself to about B1 in Turkish (i.e. I'm not looking for anything higher in it), I'd very much like to get acquainted with (not dabble but not study all-out either) Turkic languages along the Silk Road. I think that with what I have available already, I can probably get up to a passive A2 (maaaaaybe passive B1) in Azeri, Turkmen, Uzbek, Kazakh and Tatar. Tengri knows when all of that will come to pass... I'd be more than happy with that kind of knowledge in that many Turkic languages just to satisfy my philological curiosity.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version