Babbel and Duolingo

Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
36 messages over 5 pages: 1 24 5  Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4053 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 17 of 36
18 March 2014 at 4:55pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I do think it could use some grammar explanations here and there, they used to have them but it seems they've gotten rid of them, i'm not sure why.

I haven't used Duolingo in a while (waiting for German->French course to finish), but it used to be they had grammar explanations on the computer but not for phone apps. I don't know how things have changed recently, but it seems they update their computer app, iphone app, and android app completely separately, so changes in one don't always affect the others right away.

Crush wrote:

I'm also wondering what the new X for English Speakers courses are like, i think i read somewhere that "flipping" a course would be much easier than creating a new one, i'm hoping that doesn't mean that it's just a flipped version of the English for X Speakers courses.

I think they've mentioned that some of their work in X for English speakers will transfer over to the reverse courses. But I believe each new language gets it's own tree built from scratch, so it will have its own grammar topic lessons and such.

So my guess is that they'll re-use sentences whenever possible to save time, but that they'll re-arrange them and add/remove sentences to make things easier for the learner, rather than just simply flipping it.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 18 of 36
18 March 2014 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
Ok, that sounds better. I just came back to the site after a pretty long absence a week or two ago and i think it's now much clearer (you don't have to pick different paths, you just go down), but they seem to have removed the grammar explanations from the main site. The definition hints are much better now, though. I tried their Android app but just can't use it, lots of typos slip in and if i get one or two questions wrong it's almost certain i'll fail (and have to do it all over) since i generally get 2-3 questions wrong due to typos :P

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 19 of 36
08 April 2014 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Six Week Update

I've been playing with the phone apps quite a bit. My updated take:

Babel Turkish - It went from useful to aggravating to very useful to painful. I wish I
could map this out; think of a sine wave and you'll have an idea.

In the beginning it was great for reinforcing basic concepts. Later it was useful for
learning lots of basic vocabulary. The problem is that not all the vocabulary is
useful, and there's no way to pick out the highlights of any given lesson. I skipped a
couple days, and my review lessons exploded. I think it would take me fifteen to twenty
hours just to clear the deck, and that would involve memorizing a lot of vocabulary
that I just don't need at this point.

DuoLingo Italian and French - This has been nice for me to "do something" on the days
when I don't have time to do actual studying or reading. For that it's good. It's also
been great for identifying holes in my learning. I thought my French was good, but
I've managed to avoid learning adverbs all these years! Or rather, I understand them
enough in context, but not enough to actually use them.

Crush mentioned one big problem - it only takes a few typos to "fail" a lesson. Other
times there are mistakes in the translations, or the computer-generated sentences don't
make sense or are hard to hear. This can get tiring and time consuming, and it starts
to offer diminishing returns.   It makes me appreciate the more dynamic Anki platform.

I'll still use DuoLingo, but I'll save it for when I'm bored or tired - it's not a good
substitute for Assimil, FSI, or a good book!

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3881 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 20 of 36
10 April 2014 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
http://www.smartergerman.com/duolingo-learn-german/

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 21 of 36
11 April 2014 at 12:34am | IP Logged 
Nice article. I agree with all his critiques, though maybe not his conclusion: that
these programs harm your language learning, and that no one should use language learning
software.

For me they've been an undeniable help in improving my spelling, forcing me to pay better
attention to pronouns, and helping me cement my awareness of those small but important
details like gender or vowel harmony.

However, I'm also seeing rapidly diminishing returns, even in the three days since my
last post. For French I now have seven lessons on "around the house" to work through. At
ten minutes a day, and with the review lessons piling up, it will take me weeks to get to
the next section. I don't know if it's worth a long-term time investment.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5359 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 22 of 36
11 April 2014 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Yup, fair comment. I think a lot of people feel afffection towards duolingo, because of
its ambitious and worthy objectives, but judging it by those objectives, it is actually
a total failure.

I found it fun and addictive, and probably learned quite a few new vocabulary items
from it.

The most serious problem with it, is that up to (say) 5% of its exercices are incorrect
and 50% to 90% are really just unnatural, unpleasant, confusing, uncontextual, boring,
or just weird.

From the point of view of the creator, producing a course which is 95% to 99% correct
probably feels like quite a satisfactory achievement, but from the point of view of a
learner it completely undermines your faith in the material, i.e, say you get to the
stage where you know 90% of the material, then 50% of the remaining new material may be
totally incorrect. I don't think the creators ever really appreciated this.

But as I said, it was a lot of fun, and I learned stuff. When you get to the stage that
it becomes more irritating than useful, just stop.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 11 April 2014 at 3:09am

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5359 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 23 of 36
08 April 2015 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Thread revived.

I may have seen this mentioned somewhere already, but a couple of useful minor changes
have been made in the last year. The "three tries and your out" system for the
exercises no longer applies. I think, if you make a mistake it simply adds to the
number of questions you have to complete. Also when typing you are allowed to make a
single letter mistake, as long as it doesn't result in a diferent word (this may have
been inroduced a while ago, but whatever, the frustration quotient is definitely
reduced)

One thing I've been wondering about with regards the methodology, that I don't think
has been addressed in all the threads we have had on duolingo, is that the vocab for
each exercise is presented partly at the beginning with picture cards (usually 3 or 4
words) but also new and unfamilar words crop up in the course of the exercise that you
have to "peek" at. I'm not sure if this is a deliberate methodology to keep things
varied and prime your brain for accepting new vocab, or, given the other flaws in the
course, it is just part of the randomness that is duolingo. And I'm not sure if it
does keep me more alert, or if I find it slightly annoying.

Edited by schoenewaelder on 08 April 2015 at 5:25pm

sipes23
Diglot
United States
pluteopleno.com/wprs
Joined 4669 days ago

134 posts - 235 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Persian

Message 24 of 36
08 April 2015 at 6:25pm | IP Logged 
I gave Duolingo a try with Spanish a few weeks ago. I'll be diplomatic and say that I
hated it.

I disliked the utter lack of
   *context
   *culture-specific stuff
   *actual human uses of language
   *inability to deal with linguistic ambiguity

The extreme difficulty of testing out of skills was also discouraging. I'd guess I'm
about a B1 in Spanish. But I couldn't test out of anything because I didn't know their
target vocabulary and its Duolingo specific uses. For example, I know what "Él nunca ve
la televisión." means. But if I enter "sees" for "ve", it's wrong. Well, no, it's not.
The problem is that the meaning is ambiguous when stripped of context.

In the end, I felt more like I was a rat working a Skinner box than a human learning a
new way of communicating.

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 24 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version