Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 33 of 36
10 April 2015 at 4:30am | IP Logged 
Having to do so much typing in English is still pretty tedious,
especially when you make silly errors. I guess there's no avoiding it

If you use DuoLingo on a smart phone or tablet you can click the microphone button and
dictate your English translation. That part usually works well for me, and saves a lot
of hassle.

1 person has voted this message useful

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4929 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 34 of 36
10 April 2015 at 4:32am | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:

Also, the forum is unnavigable. I guess it's the influence of social media.

Not only that, but it seems like it's populated by nothing but twelve year olds begging for lingots. There are some good posts about languages not currently covered at Duolingo, but they're few and far between.

R.
==

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4708 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 35 of 36
10 April 2015 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
Having to do so much typing in English is still pretty tedious,
especially when you make silly errors. I guess there's no avoiding it

If you use DuoLingo on a smart phone or tablet you can click the microphone button and
dictate your English translation. That part usually works well for me, and saves a lot
of hassle.

The app also often has a set of words to choose from instead of typing answers. Although it is a bit of a giveaway, I quite like this version of answering and I wish the online version had it.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5664 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 36 of 36
10 April 2015 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
I've recently come back to Duolingo as well (while trying to gather people together for a Basque course) and while the main interface hasn't changed much since i last used it a year or so ago, there are a few changes that i think make it much better:
-The first one being the complete removal of the heart system. Previously, if i failed a lesson i basically lost all my motivation to continue studying for the day. Now it just quizzes you more until you correctly answer a certain amount (percentage?).
-The courses are also much more flexible now, which makes sense due to more alternatives having been added, but also, like schoenewaelder mentioned, there's some testing for typos. I admit that it sometimes catches TL words that i really did misspell, but overall it does a good job. It's also not as frustrating getting a question wrong anymore. Before, i refused to do un-timed sessions because i hated losing my last heart somewhere in the last few questions. Now you can take your time, read discussions, and not worry so much about getting an answer wrong.

I also rarely visit the discussion section, it mostly seems like a waste of time to me anyway, though sometimes i stop by to search for topics on languages i'd like to see added (Catalan, Basque, Welsh) or when i see a new language has been added to the incubator.

Another nice thing is that you can easily switch between languages. I've currently got French, German, and Italian running and switching from one to another is really simple. It's maybe too simple, i think you could easily add too many languages and never get anywhere with any of them.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 36 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version