United States
Joined 5174 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 9 of 14
26 February 2014 at 5:44am | IP Logged 
Outside of Montreal, would you be more likely to hear French only? I wasn't sure what you meant by situation being different outside of Montreal, and now I'm curious.
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4084 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 10 of 14
26 February 2014 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
I have an uncle who lives in Beaconsfield (probably no more than 30 minutes drive from
Rue St Denis/Rue St Catherine), in Île Ouest, which apparently is mostly Anglophone.
Unfortunately in Montréal I have been switched approximately 80% of the time. I rate
not my pronunciation as high or very high, but honestly I still feel that it is not so
bad that someone should switch to English when they hear me. My uncle moved there in
1968 from Liverpool, and according to him almost never uses French, so I know not how
he adapts in daily life, especially when he drives to the Downtown/Centre-ville area.

When I visited him for a day several years ago during a holiday in Montréal, my uncle
took us to dinner in Beaconsfield, we ate at a restaurant there, and I ordered all of
my items in French despite my uncle and my other family members speaking English. They
addressed all of us in English, but I remember that, ironically, and to my surprise, to
me they kept speaking in French for the entire time. Even though I messed up the
diphthongue in «grénouille» when I ordered some frog legs, they never switched with me.

So there must be some sort of etiquette even in the suburbs of Montréal. I have no idea
what the hell they are though. My new technique is simply to pretend that my English is
not even A1. That usually solves everything related to switching. I have a Spanish
forename, which could also serve as French, Portuguese, or Italian, which helps
greatly.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 26 February 2014 at 6:08am

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5326 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 11 of 14
26 February 2014 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
Spanky wrote:
The original poster was asking about Montreal; the answer would be
entirely different if he or she had been asking about Trois-Rivières, for example, or
even Quebec City.

Absolutely. Montréal is basically a bilingual city in a French-speaking province, and I've never had anybody be rude or awkward about language choice. In Québec City, on the other hand, French is the default, but most people who work with tourists can get by in English. In the smaller cities and the countryside, the level of English drops dramatically. And outside of Montréal, I've occasionally run into people who were rude or awkward about language choice.

1e4e6 wrote:
Unfortunately in Montréal I have been switched approximately 80% of the time. I rate not my pronunciation as high or very high, but honestly I still feel that it is not so bad that someone should switch to English when they hear me.

Well, this is part of the whole "bilingual city" thing. Many Montréalers take pride in their bilingualism, whether it's "true" bilingualism, or merely the ability to use the other language with ease. The following quote (which I've posted before) captures the attitude nicely:

Quote:
Most anglos I know in this city (myself included) are now bilingual, a radical transformation from the English-speaking community of 30 (even 15) years ago in Montreal. I'd hypothesize that anglophones really wised up, desirous to keep open as many doors for themselves and their kids as possible, especially after two consecutive Parti Quebecois govts and the 1995 referendum. In discussions with friends, it seems that numerous anglophones feel that French (and Quebecois slang) even has become a part of OUR identity, as we switch back & forth and think regularly in both languages. (Maybe we should be called franglophones?)

To give you a personal example, I went out to brunch this Sunday with my wife. While we waiting in line, a family arrived behind us, speaking English. But one of the women heard my wife speaking French with our children, and so she struck up a friendly conversation in perfectly comfortable French, with a slight local accent. I joined in, also speaking French. So with two anglophones and one francophone, we wound up in French. But if my wife had spoken first, she probably would have said hello in English, and we all would have spoken English.

In other words, people in Montréal don't intend to insult your French by switching. They switch all the time, even among themselves. Seriously, I've seen people working in shops switch language four times in 30 seconds, as they speak to different coworkers and customers.

1e4e6 wrote:
When I visited him for a day several years ago during a holiday in Montréal, my uncle took us to dinner in Beaconsfield, we ate at a restaurant there, and I ordered all of my items in French despite my uncle and my other family members speaking English. They addressed all of us in English, but I remember that, ironically, and to my surprise, to me they kept speaking in French for the entire time. Even though I messed up the diphthongue in «grénouille» when I ordered some frog legs, they never switched with me.

In large parts of Montreal, there's nothing even slightly unusual about mixed language dinner parties. Nor is it strange for anglophones to speak French in public. And if you're a paying customer, of course, you have a little extra influence on language choice—but if the restaurant is busy, and you're having trouble keeping up, they may switch to English in the name of efficiency.

Again, please keep in mind that all this is just my personal impression, as anglophone with serviceable French, based on semi-frequent visits. Locals will presumably have a different view of things. Also, merely by being an anglophone who's happy to default to French, I see a different side of things than a monolingual anglophone would.

If you have reasonably solid English and French, and if you're at all interested in how real-world bilingualism works, then Montréal is an absolutely fascinating city. And students of French should not miss the section of Rue St Denis with Librairie Planète BD and Librairie Michel Fortin (a great language bookstore), and several fun restaurants, including a Breton-style crêperie. I think it was songlines who pointed out this neighborhood to me, and I try to get there whenever I can. :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

jpmtl
Diglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 3796 days ago

44 posts - 115 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 12 of 14
26 February 2014 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
lichtrausch wrote:
Quebec is the only place in the world I've ever encountered any negativity for not knowing the local language. I once asked in English for some directions at a gas station and the lady working there told me dead seriously "you should speak French in Quebec".

Not to excuse this sort of behavior, but did you start with a Bonjour, Pardon or Excusez-moi? It's a cultural norm in Quebec, especially outside Montreal.

I'm the first to admit part of the population is very rude about the language issue (STM workers in Montreal come to mind), but at the same time, you're far less likely to encounter negativity if you start with a couple of words in the local language, and this is true anywhere in the world, especially in places where language is a sensitive issue.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 13 of 14
26 February 2014 at 10:37pm | IP Logged 
Allow me a gross generalisation to depict the situation outside of Montréal.

As an outsider, you will be quickly seized up as part of one of two possible groups:

1) friends, ie. people who understand why French is important to Québécois and who support their right to defend and promote it, or

2) enemies of the nation, ie. people who'd rather everyone spoke English, who couldn't be bothered to learn French and who cast a certain imperialistic vibe.

How people treat you has nothing to do with whether you actually speak French or where you are from -- it's about whether they get the impression that you are on their side or not. In essence, giving whatever little French you have a try, no matter how embarrassing, is how you are going to get people to open up and switch to English (when they can, of course).

This, obviously, is a generalisation, because although I'm originally from Québec, I've driven there with an out-of-province plate and I've had people approach me in English in small towns asking where we were from and why we came, etc.

Like everywhere else, there are all kinds of people and most people are open and curious.
3 persons have voted this message useful

kazonca
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 5190 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*, Greek*
Studies: French

Message 14 of 14
27 February 2014 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
I would not worry about this if you are moving to Montreal at all. Amost everyone can speak BOTH English and french especially if you decide to live in my favourite area mile end area. This is a very trendy area full of artsy hipsters and kinda well edumated.
The only area that might want you to switch to french is the plateau area or the heart of the french hipster / inteligencia area.
My experience is the opposite, though I speak ok french when I show up at my favourite Starbucks and try to order in French they change to English :(
I find that even in more French areas the only people that `should' try to speak french sentiment is only intended for other Canadians, Americans get a free pass on this.

Edited by kazonca on 27 February 2014 at 5:15pm

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version