30 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Onrust
United States
Joined 4216 days ago

14 posts - 42 votes
Studies: German

Message 9 of 30
04 March 2014 at 5:39am | IP Logged 
I really just use the standard hidden moments, like commuting or when I'm on a lunch break at work.

One thing I've noticed is that I feel guilty whenever I forget to use hidden moments for learning. Since I have a ton of
language learning stuff on my phone, which is always with me, I feel it's a shame if I fail to take advantage of the
opportunity. I felt especially guilty after reading Barry Farber's book. There he was carefully preparing flash cards for
the day and meanwhile I'm walking around with German with Ease, FSI Basic German, countless hours of Deutsche
Welle podcasts, pre-made flashcards in an app, etc.
2 persons have voted this message useful

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4486 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 10 of 30
04 March 2014 at 5:51am | IP Logged 
I also admit to doing the fake cell phone call thing. I'm super relieved that I am not alone in this.

My hidden moments:

*Restroom breaks (of course)
*My lunch break at work
*Standing in line at the store (ANKI is best for this)
*When I get in my car to go anywhere (unless I'm in a HUGE hurry) I try to bust out 5-10 ANKI cards after I start the car but before I pull out
*Sometimes after I press the snooze button on the alarm clock I can get in a little ANKI
*Running the kids places. I did 2 Assimil lessons today while my teenage son got his haircut.
*Cooking dinner. I can usually read sentence or two between cooking prep steps.

I'll post others as I think of them

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5563 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 11 of 30
04 March 2014 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Onrust wrote:
Since I have a ton of
language learning stuff on my phone, which is always with me, I feel it's a shame if I fail to take advantage of the
opportunity. I felt especially guilty

Bad thing. I know this. But, exactly these moments are moments we sometimes - often - need as break time, not for studying something else. When I notice I start feeling guilty for that, it's time to use *fewer* hidden moments and allow myself to be attentive to the now in the remaining ones.
10 persons have voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4533 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 12 of 30
04 March 2014 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
I do use hidden moments for a lot of things that have already been mentioned. And as Bao
says, sometimes it's best just to use these moments as a break- it just depends on your
energy levels.

But recently, I've gone back to using a lot of my short walks and other free moments to
let my brain wander, either idly trying to recall certain words or phrases, wondering how
to express certain sentiments, or even lazily reviewing conjugations and such. I think
this really helps me, although it's not something I consciously try to do- I just need a
little time to let it happen. If I whip out my smartphone every time there's a moment of
free time, I feel that it damages my concentration and doesn't allow the bits of language
that I've learned consciously to seep into my unconscious mind.
3 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4462 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 13 of 30
04 March 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
Bao wrote:
When I notice I start feeling guilty for that, it's time to use *fewer*
hidden moments and allow myself to be attentive to the now in the remaining ones.

I do sometimes have these mild feelings of guilt, but I know that if I look back and
concentrate on the "lost" opportunities then I'll just push myself harder and end up
burning out. Instead I try to focus on the times I have made use of dead time:
after all, I probably manage 10-15 hours/week with commuting and lunch breaks. It would
be hard to lose that much "opportunity" unless I gave up altogether !

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 14 of 30
05 March 2014 at 12:27pm | IP Logged 
I've always loved having to do a long drive on my own, because I could listen to lectures
or an audiobook. Last summer I had to drive 4 hours each way for a one day conference.
I was excited just anticipating the free time for listening, and I used most of that time
to work on FSI French for the first time. I started a new job this August, and was
disappointed that it was closer to home. But now I take my sons to school, and we listen
to two tracks of Michel Thomas French together each morning (one son watches the counter
like a hawk!), and once I drop them off I switch it to an audiobook or Pimsleur.

Toilet time is Anki time for me. Vocabulary learning works best for me in 5-minute
bursts a few times a day. If I know I'm going to be sitting around (like at the doctor's
office, etc), I usually bring my kindle so I don't have to decide ahead of time what to
read.
1 person has voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4185 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 15 of 30
05 March 2014 at 1:57pm | IP Logged 
If i travel by bus i often listen to a radio programm or an audiobook , at times i do the same thing when i go
jogging or do chores at home. I let my thoughts free by talking to myself when i drive if noone else is in
the car. i guess the
latter is the craziest :-) .

Edited by albysky on 05 March 2014 at 2:02pm

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4986 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 16 of 30
05 March 2014 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Not many hidden moments in my days (well if there are, they are so well-hidden I haven't found them yet!)

I have conversations in my head while I'm standing in the shower, or lying in bed at night. Apart from that, nada. It's either active studying time, or time for something completely different. I'm not really a multitasker.

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version