30 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 30
26 December 2014 at 4:29pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the rec! I don't do Amazon because the shipping would be more than the cost of the device itself, but I'm sure someone else will find this useful :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 26 of 30
28 December 2014 at 5:53am | IP Logged 
I'll be writing about learning in the shower in my log.

Why am I doing this and documenting in so much detail? Well first of all because I'm greedy and I want more language learning time (and if/when I find a job in 2015, I'll need this time too). But also, afaiu it's scientifically proven that if we learn too much in the same place, our memory will be tied to it and it might be harder to recall the material in a different environment. So learning in a variety of locations is a great idea, and the sheer weirdness/contrast can help. Now, I totally understand if it's not your cup of tea, but if anyone's hesitant, I hope the details can be encouraging.

I'm also beginning to think that learning to deal with a less than perfect quality/conditions is important, especially if you're relying on input as much as I do. As you strain your eyes or ears (not too much :)) especially the eyes!), your brain will try to help you by offering whatever words that might fit. At least I've noticed this effect even in my first session.

Warning: you can't learn a language *only* by reading in the shower for 5 mins a day (or even 10-15 mins). This should be obvious but just in case ;D

Edited by Serpent on 28 December 2014 at 7:16am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4706 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 27 of 30
29 December 2014 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Does anyone read/listen in the shower? Any tips? Waterproof gadgets are too expensive (at least given that I didn't think of that when getting them), so I've been looking at various transparent folders... but I'm scared of damaging my books :P
I've also thought of leaving my phone somewhere in a safe area, with music on.

It's not something I've done, but a friend of mine used to stick a printed page on the shower wall to memorize things (it just has to be a bit wet to stick). Obviously the page is only useful once.

Arthaey
Groupie
United States
arthaey.com
Joined 4843 days ago

97 posts - 155 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 28 of 30
29 December 2014 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
I once had an essay due for school the next day (which I had, of course, procrastinated on), but I also needed
to shower. I got surprisingly useful results from taping a sheet of aluminum foil to the wall and writing on it
with a dull pencil.

If, y'know, you find that you also want to take notes. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 29 of 30
25 February 2015 at 12:58am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Does anyone read/listen in the shower? Any tips? Waterproof gadgets are too expensive (at least given that I didn't think of that when getting them), so I've been looking at various transparent folders... but I'm scared of damaging my books :P
I've also thought of leaving my phone somewhere in a safe area, with music on.

The other day at the 100 yen store I bought what looks like a transparent bag, a cover to put my iPad in for use in the bath. You put the iPad inside, then you zip it like those bags people use to store food in the freezer.   I used it when bathing after showering. It worked surprisingly well. I didn't throw my iPad in the bath water, obviously, but it had it sitting on the edge of the bathtub. Some water splashed on it, but it was okay. I just had some Portuguese radio on - I didn't try reading anything - but the sound came through the cover clearly. And when choosing a station to listen to, even with the cover on, it was easy to use the touch screen.

I don't know if it would work with a regular food storage-type zipper bag, but on the other hand, I bought this cover at a 100 yen store, so a regular zipper bag might have the same quality...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 30 of 30
25 February 2015 at 3:07am | IP Logged 
Yeah I bought some zipper folders for protecting documents etc.
I don't really take baths anymore...been hard enough to allow myself to stay in the shower more than strictly necessary (the reading definitely helps!)

BTW, one of the folders was sold at a discount... and there's some minor damage which wouldn't matter for office use, but might matter in the shower :/ so if anyone wants to try this, be careful with discounts.

Thanks for your input!

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version