Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Is there any other program like Assimil?

Tags: Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
30 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4707 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 9 of 30
04 March 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
FSI courses are essentially all native language. There are dialogues for each lesson,
but most of the content is either repeating sentences from the dialogue (good for
improving your ear and your accent), or filling in words in drills.
1 person has voted this message useful

Antanas
Tetraglot
Groupie
Lithuania
Joined 4610 days ago

91 posts - 172 votes 
Speaks: Lithuanian*, English, Russian, German
Studies: FrenchB1, Spanish

Message 10 of 30
04 March 2014 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
Well, almost any textbook with audio that uses immersion or communicative method and does not contain any language except its target language would fit your requirements. However, since they are made for classroom use, they are not very effective for an independent study, especially at the beginning. On the other hand, they might be useful later. I use them, among other thing, to check my level of comprehension. There is a plethora of choices for any "bigger" language. For instance, in Spanish there are various levels of En Accion, Prisma, etc., and their audio recordings usually have transcripts. En Accion, for example, has also Cuaderno de actividades with audio which makes it in some respects comparable with FSI.

I believe that, except audio, another beauty of the Assimil is that because of a translation on a facing page you can immediately understand the meaning of a rather complicated piece of target language you are reading.

Practice & Improve your German/Italian/Spanish as well as Practice & Improve your German/Italian/Spanish Plus series by Passport books are, perhaps, the best ones you can get in English that contain audio only in the target language. Yet, its level is more advanced than that of Linguaphone.

There is also a very nice book The French Language of Today in 90 lessons (Methode 90 series, the only one in English, all others are in French), but its audio is very hard to find.

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 11 of 30
04 March 2014 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
DLI Portuguese Basic Course has very little, I'd say less than
1%, English. I downloaded the French and Romanian courses too (maybe someday) and they
have very little English as well, similar to the Portuguese course. Of course, these
materials haven't been updated in 20-40 years.That's not an issue if you are following a
multi-track approach. Still, I found the Portuguese course to be quite thorough and well
organized with plenty of good, useful content and drills. Best of all, it's free!
DLI (Defense
Language Institute) Courses

DLI Romanian uses the old pre 1990 orthography so be sure to replace all Î in words with
 unless at the beginning, and to write sunt/suntem/sunteți
3 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5060 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 12 of 30
04 March 2014 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
DLI Romanian uses the old pre 1990 orthography so be sure to replace all Î in words with  unless at the beginning, and to write sunt/suntem/sunteți

Thanks, tarvos, I know that, but that won't stop me from using an amazing, free resource when the time comes. My way of not just using one course and a multi-track approach- not just depending on one single course- means that any outdated, orthography issues are not a problem.

Congratulations on your upcoming stint in Romania! I am looking forward to following along in your log.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 30
04 March 2014 at 7:55pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
tarvos wrote:
DLI Romanian uses the old pre 1990 orthography so
be sure to replace all Πin words with  unless at the beginning, and to write
sunt/suntem/sunteți

Thanks, tarvos, I know that, but that won't stop me from using an amazing, free
resource when the time comes. My way of not just using one course and a multi-track
approach- not just depending on one single course- means that any outdated, orthography
issues are not a problem.

Congratulations on your upcoming stint in Romania! I am looking forward to following
along in your log.

I know, just keep it in mind (Assimil Romanian has the same problem). Nowadays I don't
care, I'm used to the new orthography (and half of Romania never writes the diacritics
anyway).

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4463 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 14 of 30
04 March 2014 at 9:18pm | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
tastyonions wrote:
Espagnol Débutant, which I am using to learn Spanish, is much like Assimil: based mostly around 90 dialogues and the audio is entirely in the TL except for one minute of French introduction in the first track. The dialogues are generally not as long as Assimil's, though. As far as programs in English, though, I don't know of any similar ones.

it says there are 6 CDs. How is it the dialogues are shorter than Assimil and they have 2 more discs?

After each dialogue there is a slow version (really more "spaced out" than simply "slow") of the same dialogue, plus several review questions (all in Spanish as well). One disadvantage of this course, especially for someone who has never touched Spanish before, is that the dialogues proceed at a good clip right from the very beginning, so the slow versions can certainly be useful.
3 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5358 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 15 of 30
05 March 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
That sounds like quite a promising course then. I've always thought that the main weakness of Assimil was the unnatural way in which the dialogues are spoken. Most other modern courses seem to have more natural sounding speech. (Not that I'm good at comprehending naturally spoken dialogues or anything, but you've got to start sometime, and the sooner the better)

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 16 of 30
05 March 2014 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
BrianDeAlabama wrote:
I've been trying to find other programs whose audio was all in
the target language. Is Assimil the only company
that has enough sense to make such a program? I bought some Teach Yourself stuff and
man their audio selection
is extremely lacking compared to Assimil. I don't see how someone could develop an ear
for a language using
their program.

Every week I'm getting more & more persuaded that I will have to tackle French so I can
use Assimil's products to
dabble in many other languages.

What language(s) are you initially seeking to learn by the programs you are looking
for?

Quote:

Is Assimil the only company that has enough sense to make such a program?
[whose audio was all in the target language]

Well, there are pros and cons to this approach.

As you yourself point out, one has to know the base language in which the course is
written for it to make sense to you: French, or some are available in German (e.g.
Danish, which I have); are some also coming out in English now?

Anway, the fact that the audio is all in the target language means that (for a beginner
anyway) there has to be some base language somewhere to make the target language
meaningful for you, and for Assimil, this is a book. So you are switching between
reading and listening/speaking (which is one potential problem), and you are having to
use a base language which you might not be perfect in (which isn't necessarily all bad,
since it gives you practice in that language, but is it as optimal as if the base
language were your native language?).

I can't defend the audio on the TYS courses ... it's pretty disappointing in my recent
experience, but there are some other approaches which are potentially as useful as
Assimil.

Michel Thomas, of course.
Say Something in (Welsh, Dutch, Spanish, Cornish (not much there yet); other languages
hopefully coming.
You Speak German.

All of the above present you with a series of "challenges" in English, which you are
then given chance to produce in the target language, and you then hear a "correct"
version by an expert speaker (native speakers of each gender for SSiW; Native speaker
for listening practice only in YSG).

So for SSi, you hear twice as much native speaker TL as there is English, and there is
no need to switch from reading to listening/speaking; it's 100% audio.

I have a feeling Pimsleur is along similar lines, but I've never used a Pimsleur course
myself, so I don't know for sure.

I'm not knocking Assimil. It's pretty well respected around these parts, and praised by
none other than Professor Arguelles, but on the other hand, I don't think it's a
forgone conclusion that theirs is the best or only approach, and one to be followed by
other course-providers.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 30 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version