markmsb
United States
Joined 3729 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 11
05 March 2014 at 6:05am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone,

I am just starting my journey in Assimil French with Ease. After complete several french lessons up to the first revision lesson I had an idea. Its called over lapping review. when you reach lesson 7 you would review lessons 2-6. Then when your reach lesson 8 you would review lessons 2-7 then when you reach lesson 9 you would review 3-8 and so on.

Does anyone think that this would great be a benefit to do every day? I am planning on spending 90 minutes each day on this. Approximately 45 minutes on review the previous lessons and 45 minutes on the one new lesson.
2 persons have voted this message useful

oldearth
Groupie
United States
Joined 4706 days ago

72 posts - 173 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 2 of 11
05 March 2014 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
I believe Professor Arguelles recommends going through and shadowing the audio of several previous lessons
before continuing. If you've got the time, it's probably not going to hurt you unless it becomes so boring that it
makes you quit the program before you get into the meat of it. One thing to keep in mind is that you're not
necessarily supposed to master everything in the passive wave since you will be reviewing the lessons again when
you come back through on the active wave and you are at a more advanced level. You might look into editing out
the silences with Audacity to make your reviews go faster.
1 person has voted this message useful

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 3 of 11
05 March 2014 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
This is what I do as well. It is also what Assimil's French Without Toil recommended.
I would say that it is not just a great benefit, but essential to actually assimilate
the course.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4476 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 11
05 March 2014 at 11:34am | IP Logged 
When I was first using Assimil French, I started out doing something like your plan, but it got a bit tiring for me reviewing the same lessons multiple days in a row. I like putting a lesson out of head and then making my brain bring the knowledge back a couple weeks later, so I cycle my reviews.

For example, today I am on Lesson 67 of Espagnol Débutant, an Assimil-like course. I also reviewed Lessons 53, 39, 25, and 11 (i.e. multiples of 14 below my current lesson). Tomorrow I will do Lesson 68 and review Lessons 54, 40, 26, and 12, etc. I did much the same thing for Assimil French (with an interval of one week) and it seemed to work very well.

Edited by tastyonions on 05 March 2014 at 11:34am

5 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 5 of 11
05 March 2014 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
I like your idea Tastyonions (I've seen you post it before), and I'll have to try it out
when I get around to finishing NFWE.

Besides reviewing, I think it is a great benefit to preview lessons by listening ahead.
When I started NFWE, I would listen to a whole CD at a time when going for walks. Once I
was getting close to the end of CD 1, I started listening to CD 2. What was interesting
is that by the time you get to a lesson you are already familiar with it, but you come to
the lesson with specific questions in mind, which is always a better way to learn
something. Plus you get a good laugh about the things you misheard. One story has a
character say, "Je suis la mort", and I thought he said, "Je suis l'amour".... needless
to say, I was scratching my head about what the whole story meant!

fanatic
Octoglot
Australia
speedmathematics.com
Joined 6957 days ago

1152 posts - 1818 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, French, Afrikaans, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Dutch
Studies: Swedish, Norwegian, Polish, Modern Hebrew, Malay, Mandarin, Esperanto

Message 6 of 11
05 March 2014 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Assimil recommended this method in the early Without Toil books. They would tell you to play through a whole record to get to the next lesson. Then I had the lessons on tape and now I put them on my mp3 player. The old French and Spanish courses lent themselves to playing them through like this because they had a continuing story and I found them easy to listen to.

After a couple of weeks I would delete the first lessons that were simply too slow or where they repeated every sentence and made reviewing them painful. When I go for long drives I will play my language courses through and immerse myself in the language.

Whether you are driving, walking or on public transport, it is easy to listen to your lessons on an mp3 player through the day and get in a lot of revision. I find this great for training myself to understand the spoken language. It is also why I prefer courses with the audio recorded entirely in the language I am learning.

And, I would never begin a new lesson without playing at least some of the previous lessons. That would remind me of the new words and grammar I had learnt over the previous days.
2 persons have voted this message useful

markmsb
United States
Joined 3729 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes

Message 7 of 11
05 March 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys,

Thanks to everyone for their advice. If the lessons get boring after completing them a few times I will definitely start putting lessons out of my head and review lessons out of order.

On another note I actually was given French without Toil from 1940 by a friend. Do you believe it would be worth using that in conjunction with the newer French with Ease?

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5376 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 8 of 11
05 March 2014 at 5:48pm | IP Logged 
Yes, if you have the time. The two work very well together but IMO by the middle of the
book, get too involved to do one lesson from each book per day. Take your time...

Edited by Elexi on 06 March 2014 at 12:18am

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version