Tags: Assimil | French
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
11 messages over 2 pages: 1
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4074 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 9 of 11
05 March 2014 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
I highly recommend using both. If you get too stressed out trying to maintain a routine with each, you might also using one as your main study tool, and the other for more casual practice (just work with the audio a few times, read through it don't worry about remembering everything). This will allow you to re-encounter vocabulary in new contexts and review certain grammar points without much stress.

Edited by YnEoS on 05 March 2014 at 7:01pm

1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7025 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 10 of 11
05 March 2014 at 8:06pm | IP Logged 
markmsb wrote:
On another note I actually was given French without Toil from 1940 by a friend. Do you
believe it would be worth using that in conjunction with the newer French with Ease?

I used New French with Ease, French Without Toil, and Using French simultaneously. It does get to be a bit
much when there are multiple waves going in NFWE and FWT at the same time. I didn't do "active waves",
but I would use the "active wave" as a review wave.

For me, using multiple Assimil courses was good for variety. I can see the benefit of focusing on one course
at a time too. I'm also a believer in continuing to review the courses and continuing to other resources and
native materials as you progress. Over time, the Assimil courses get less time and weight, but as long as you
feel you are still getting value from using the courses, it's a signpost of your progress. What was once
challenging becomes easy.

markmsb
United States
Joined 3738 days ago

16 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 11 of 11
05 March 2014 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I looked at French without Toil and it seems like the earlier lessons are slightly more difficult to understand in terms of question and statement order. For example: They teach avons-nous nous-avons inversion form without touching on est-ce que. Is this a more modern way of speaking and writing?

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version