46 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 41 of 46
17 October 2014 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
I see... and how often do you use them? Do you already have one for Portuguese or is it something you do later on?
1 person has voted this message useful

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4155 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 42 of 46
18 October 2014 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:

For Siddhartha, I ended up - in total - shadowing early chapters about 30 times, later chapters less, for
reasons I mentioned.

And how many minutes per day did you shadow? I mean, if you shadow one chapter (say, 20 minutes of audio) per day and every chapter about 30 times, it'll take a month until you move on to the next chapter. Or did you shadow e.g. twice a day to accelerate the process?

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4096 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 43 of 46
18 October 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Yes I did not stop at one play through of the chatper per day. At least two plays
through per day was my target. That number 30 is the total, and only for the first
chapters, which like I said benefited especially from revision-listenings, making the
totals for all chapters uneven.

I typically shadowed for about a 50 minutes per day (worked out from memory and the
total number of plays on iTunes). My course of progression was dictated by how soon I
finished writing the chapter in the scriptorium. So let's say, at a rate of one A4
page per hour at one hour per day, it would take about 14 days and therefore roughly
20 listens to complete the chapter (each chapter is about 25 minutes long in the
recording and 14 pages long in my edition). My increased facility in writing accounts
for why my number of listenings for later chapters dropped.

So in other words, and to simplify, if I had had 3 hours per day I would have spent 1
hour shadowing, one hour in scriptorium and the last hour on highlighting gender,
plural type and prepositions. In total this project, at this rate, would have taken me
less than 150 days.

I say "if I had" because in fact I did a lot more work than 3 hours a day, often
working 5 or more. All solidly on Siddhartha. But my views on methodology have changed
since undertaking this around this time last year... were I to do it all again I would
in fact lengthen the time period necessary, bu including other ongoing projects
such as repeatedly re-reading parallel texts or reading children's literature. And, as
I said, I would not progress from chapter to chapter but cycle through the chapters so
that 1). the repetitions would be more spaced out and 2). the material would mentally
settle into place as a smooth, continuous whole.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 44 of 46
18 October 2014 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Retinend wrote:
I admit I have not shadowed a whole novel. This is important...

Bummer. I was about to say that I'm not aware of anyone who's actually shadowed an entire novel, and then I assumed you had.
(Or does Prof.Argüelles do that? I've not seen many of his videos but I did read pretty much all his posts)

Sterogyl
Diglot
Germany
Joined 4155 days ago

152 posts - 263 votes 
Studies: German*, French, EnglishC2
Studies: Japanese, Norwegian

Message 45 of 46
19 October 2014 at 9:42am | IP Logged 
Retinend, thank you for your explanation. Wow, 5 hours of language study a day are a lot. 50 minutes of shadowing daily are also remarkable. I guess I'll try my original approach first, dividing every chapter into chunks of 2 minutes, adding a new chunk every day. After having done this for a substantial amount of time, my overall capability to shadow should have improved. I don't do scriptorium, but I review the words/expressions with Anki on a daily basis and also write them out (I've been doing this for years now and it totally works).

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4096 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 46 of 46
19 October 2014 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Retinend wrote:
I admit I have not shadowed a whole novel. This is important...

Bummer. I was about to say that I'm not aware of anyone who's actually shadowed an entire novel, and then I assumed
you had.
(Or does Prof.Argüelles do that? I've not seen many of his videos but I did read pretty much all his posts)

Yes. I do think that what I did - with 200 pages of a novella - is a meaty task but possible given about 3 hours a
day with a deadline of 4 months or so. But most novels have double that. That would be 8 months of concerted
effort; in that space of time you could read everything the author wrote and get a decent understanding of it all.
This is the dilemma between going deep and going broad. But if you go deep on a single complete work (shorter
fiction like Siddhartha, say) the benefits are also there for future languages: I'm able to read the same story in
another language now (Spanish) with quick comprehension (also revising my German by listening to the German
audiobook while reading Spanish). I'll certainly buy a copy in any future languages I take up, too.

Re Arguelles: He says that he shadows audiobooks in order to maintain his languages at advanced levels, but has
also said that he dislikes re-reading books at a upper-intermediate level, preferring to build a sequence of
increasingly difficult texts. I presume then that he shadows each book only one time when he "shadows" audiobooks.
The latter meaning the activity of repeating a recording at the same time, not the "shadowing method" which
encompasses Scriptorium and repeated cycling through recorded material.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 46 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version