Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4416 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 9 of 54
09 March 2014 at 12:23pm | IP Logged 
Your parents almost certainly have enough English to enable them to go about their everyday lives in the
USA. Why should they expend lots of mental energy trying to be perfect when they can already communicate
perfectly well? Being comfortable in a language is good enough for the majority of immigrants the world over.

Who cares about grammar issues? Most natives certainly don't.

Edited by beano on 09 March 2014 at 12:23pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Snowflake
United States
Joined 5753 days ago

1032 posts - 1233 votes 
Studies: Mandarin

Message 10 of 54
09 March 2014 at 6:57pm | IP Logged 
I interpret the OP's comments more as frustration than hate. And to one of his questions, my mother has been in the US for about 60 years and cannot functionally speak English. If...
1...my siblings and I all moved away, and
2...my uncles and aunts became unavailable to help, and
3...she did not live in the local Chinatown (she recently moved)
then my mother would be unable to go about her daily life. It's an illustration of the importance of our micro-environment in helping us to learn a language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 54
09 March 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
That was a reference to the thread about hating one's native language.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 54
09 March 2014 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
And here I was all ready to spill on the horrible English of MY parents, when I realize that what you are after
is the English spoken by people who have lived for years in an English speaking country :-) I am afraid I
cannot
contribute there. As a general comment though, I have never quite understood why some people who move
to another country are stuck in their home language, but I suppose between hard working days, with little
extra time for languages studies, and perhaps the need for security, it is hard to let go of your native
language.

Otherwise, I see that you are about to fall into the same trap as many newcomers, of having so much
enthusiasm and so many questions that you almost wear people out. I was also like that in my first time (read
my first two years) here on the forum, but I was incredibly fortunate in that I was treated with kindness and
mountains of patience. To pay it forward, you are most welcome to PM me if there is any advice you think I
can give. I see that you can be quite detailed in your questions, so I cannot guarantee that I can help you with
everything, or that I have the capacity to answer everything, but I am willing to try. Otherwise I believe
someone (Iguanamon, was that you? :-) suggested you start your own log, and that is great advice. In your
log
you can ask many of the questions you have asked in threads, and you can show everyone what you are
made of.

I did not comment on your introduction thread, but I read it, so I will give a comment now. Many of us have
spent so much time on our languages that we cannot help but smile at the plethora of languages on your
wish list. And it will prove difficult to take on so many languages. On the other hand, dogged determination
may do the trick

12 years ago we bought a new house with a garden, and I wanted to make this amazing rose garden. I
brought in a lot of my gardening friends and walked through my garden, showing where I wanted all the
different roses, and they just smiled at me. I was so clueless, and my garden lacked everything necessary to
grow roses, so they did not even know where to begin to tell me how unrealistic my dreams were.

But today, I open my garden to the public every year so that others can see what roses you can grow in our
climate, I have been on local and national TV and in over a dozen news papers and magazines with my
garden. I have won dozens of prizes with my roses,and I give lectures on roses and produce rose jelly
commercially.

So don't give up on your dream, kid :-) If you focus enough, you may have a shot.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 09 March 2014 at 10:48pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

tbreit
United States
Joined 5009 days ago

17 posts - 26 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 13 of 54
09 March 2014 at 10:46pm | IP Logged 
My grandparents arrived in the U.S. from Germany in their teens. They eventually learned to speak English very well. My mother was born in the U.S. and could only speak German. She started school and was made fun of. She made it a point to learn English as best she could. She can no longer speak German, and can only understand very little. What a shame, but times were different back then.
After that lengthy history lesson, I guess my point would be, don't be mad at your parents. I never was.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4850 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 14 of 54
10 March 2014 at 7:19am | IP Logged 
My parents do not speak English.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 54
10 March 2014 at 12:09pm | IP Logged 
It's not like anyone *wants* to be in what you call a ghetto, tbh. I'm sure they just see that as the only option. Everyone would want to integrate AND keep their own language&culture. Maybe many believe that this option is only open to those who learned the language in their home country.

Part of the problem is the attitude to the bilingual kids. For a short time they might not be on par with their monolingual peers, so that's where the idea that you have to forget your mother tongue comes from. Needless to say this is even more false when applied to adults.

As for my parents, dad is at something like basic fluency, I guess. He can get by just fine while travelling, and he's been using Ilya Frank's method to improve beyond that. He spends a lot of time driving so that's a great time for audiobooks.

Mum used to know a lot, but it was the USSR and she had no opportunities to practise. I suppose she *could* get by while travelling, though - she just doesn't need to, since apart from her mum*, everyone speaks better English than she does. Normally if she has a specific question, she asks me in advance how to say this or that thing. I challenge her to come up with something on her own and correct her grammar. Sometimes she surprises me by understanding something complicated, sometimes by not understanding something easy.

*My grandma is a funny case. I like how with these pre-made phrases, she practises a lot and aims to say them with a nice pronunciation. And she somehow sounds like she understands what she is saying, even when she isn't. Unlike mum, I don't think she would understand a response almost at all.

Edited by Serpent on 10 March 2014 at 12:17pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version