Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 17 of 196
14 March 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
Crush wrote:
Does it actually introduce the Arabic alphabet? I guess it'd be a bit ironic for a course entitled "Moder Written Arabic" NOT to cover
it, but...

The MWA Books are full of Arabic text in microscopic Arabic script. None of the Arabic sentences are translated into English (although
there's a glossary at the end of each chapter).

The MWA Books do not teach the Arabic script. They don't use vowel signs either. They teach very little grammar. Most of the focus is
on reading and listening.
I would not recommend MWA to someone who'd just started Arabic.

FSI has another book
that does teach the script though.

Oh, thank you , Napoleon! I had my reply window open too long and didn't see that you'd already posted the answer to Crush's question!
Thanks for the recommendation on the one for the writing system, though! That looks really useful!

Regarding the microscopic Arabic script, since trying to start learning Arabic, I have wondered why the script is always so small. When
anyone writes in it on the internet, it is so tiny, I have to magnify the pages! I wish their default Arabic font was a little bigger! Or
is that my eyes? :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 18 of 196
14 March 2014 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
nancydowns wrote:

the two H sounds are hard to
distinguish.

ه is softer, closer to the English 'h'.

ح is more guttural. It is a very throaty sound, very close to خ

This doesn't help much, does it? :)

Yes, it does help... I can hear it when they say the letters singly, but I have a hard time figuring it out in a word... however, I am going to
listen to that exercise a few more times and see if it becomes clear. I know in principal how it should sound, just distinguishing the two might
take me some practice! :-) Thanks for your help! It is all very much appreciated!

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4822 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 19 of 196
14 March 2014 at 9:03pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
...I have to magnify the pages! I wish their default Arabic font was a little bigger! Or

My thoughts exactly. :-)
Have fun studying!

Edited by napoleon on 14 March 2014 at 9:04pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6950 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 20 of 196
15 March 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
For getting accustomed to the sounds of Arabic, the FSI Levantine Arabic course is a fantastic free resource. It really doesn't teach Levantine dialect, but is simply an introduction to the sounds of the language, all in transliteration, and has lots of practice exercises and self-tests to see whether or not you're perceiving/distinguishing the sounds correctly.

I think that the sounds it teaches are all the same as in standard Arabic, with but one exception: the Arabic letter "jim" in the course is a pronounced like a "zh" (or French "j") rather than like the English "j". (Per my understanding, many Arabs pronounce this letter in this way even when speaking standard Arabic.) But apart from this, I think all the other material in the course is the same as in MSA.

You can find the coursebook and audio tapes to download here: http://fsi-language-courses.org/Content.php?page=Arabic%20Le vantine

Working through the entire course is a good way to get used to the sounds of Arabic, but it can be boring to do all at once. If you don't want to devote overmuch time to it, you can focus on the problematic sounds (for me, as for most people, the difference between h and H, the emphatic consonants, and the 'ayn') and just do the drills on those a few times. (Producing them is harder than hearing them, but hearing them clearly is the first step toward being able, over time, to produce them correctly. This course doesn't teach the alphabet, which is the next step, but focuses strictly on the sounds. Once you've got the sounds down, using the alphabet becomes a whole lot easier.)   

Edited by daristani on 15 March 2014 at 4:03pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 21 of 196
15 March 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
napoleon wrote:
nancydowns wrote:
...I have to magnify the pages! I wish their default
Arabic font was a little bigger! Or

My thoughts exactly. :-)
Have fun studying!

Thanks, Napoleon! I just reread the Arabic study group thread and realized that you are
also going through FSI MWA... somehow I forgot that and thought you were just doing the
other program. So I think I will have some questions for you! I'll post them on that
thread later. Have fun to you, too! :-)

Edited by nancydowns on 15 March 2014 at 4:51pm

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 22 of 196
15 March 2014 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
For getting accustomed to the sounds of Arabic, the FSI Levantine Arabic course is a fantastic free resource. It really doesn't teach Levantine
dialect, but is simply an introduction to the sounds of the language, all in transliteration, and has lots of practice exercises and self-tests to see whether or not
you're perceiving/distinguishing the sounds correctly.

I think that the sounds it teaches are all the same as in standard Arabic, with but one exception: the Arabic letter "jim" in the course is a pronounced like a "zh" (or
French "j") rather than like the English "j". (Per my understanding, many Arabs pronounce this letter in this way even when speaking standard Arabic.) But apart from
this, I think all the other material in the course is the same as in MSA.

You can find the coursebook and audio tapes to download here: http://fsi-language-
courses.org/Content.php?page=Arabic%20Le vantine

Working through the entire course is a good way to get used to the sounds of Arabic, but it can be boring to do all at once. If you don't want to devote overmuch time
to it, you can focus on the problematic sounds (for me, as for most people, the difference between h and H, the emphatic consonants, and the 'ayn') and just do the
drills on those a few times. (Producing them is harder than hearing them, but hearing them clearly is the first step toward being able, over time, to produce them
correctly. This course doesn't teach the alphabet, which is the next step, but focuses strictly on the sounds. Once you've got the sounds down, using the alphabet
becomes a whole lot easier.)   

Thank so much, Daristani. I have been working with the FSI MWA program, but I haven't done a lot on it yet. Eastern Arabic is the colloquial that I am most interested
in, so I think I probably will do the Levantine one eventually. The exercise I was working on with the H's is in "Mastering Arabic." They said words, and you had to
choose which letter it started with, and I couldn't tell apart the H's. I have done that exercise again several times, and I think I am starting to get more familiar
with the distinction of those sounds. But there is a lot of work to do in getting the sounds down! Have you studied Arabic? Thanks for your help! :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

daristani
United States
Joined 6950 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 23 of 196
15 March 2014 at 4:59pm | IP Logged 
One useful aspect of the FSI Levantine "course" is that it has lots of exercises to compare and contrast similar sounds that might be confused. Really, I can't praise it enough. It doesn't teach anything but the sounds, but does a very good job at that.

The FSI Levantine course is really intended, I think, to be done BEFORE studying anything else; as noted, it doesn't teach the dialect per se (but may have been intended as the first step in a course for Levantine.)

As for myself, I've studied Arabic off and on, but mostly "off", for some time, including a semester in a university class (in which we used the "Al-Kitaab" book, which I absolutely hated). I can't claim to have gotten very far in the language, but blame that on my lack of constancy in my studies, since there are some good materials out there.

In any event, good luck!

Edited by daristani on 15 March 2014 at 5:20pm

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 24 of 196
15 March 2014 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
daristani wrote:
One useful aspect of the FSI Levantine "course" is that has lots of exercises to compare and contrast similar sounds that might be confused.
Really, I
can't praise it enough. It doesn't teach anything but the sounds, but does a very good job at that.

The FSI Levantine course is really intended, I think, to be done BEFORE studying anything else; as noted, it doesn't teach the dialect per se (but may have been
intended
as the first step in a course for Levantine.)

As for myself, I've studied Arabic off and on, but mostly "off", for some time, including a semester in a university class (in which we used the "Al-Kitaab" book,
which I
absolutely hated). I can't claim to have gotten very far in the language, but blame that on my lack of constancy in my studies, since there are some good materials
out
there.

In any event, good luck!

Oh, OK! Thanks!!! I just assumed that it was for that dialect. I'll check it out! I am putting a little more time to my Spanish right not than to my Arabic. I am
working on both every day, but trying to push my Spanish level up a bit while keeping my Arabic going along, too! So I haven't gotten very far on my resources yet,
but I do want to check out that Levantine FSI, and I really appreciate your help! Thanks for explaining it to me! :-)

Edited by nancydowns on 15 March 2014 at 5:29pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 196 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version