253 posts - 366 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 49 of 196
25 March 2014 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
BOLIO wrote:
Great Log NancyDowns!

I loved trying to follow you and Crush in Spanish. Reading is one thing but trying to create it is something all together harder.

And wow, I feel like a slacker just trying Spanish. You are working on Spanish and Arabic????? Man, I thought Spanish and say French would be difficult
at the same time but Arabic...well, you have to worry about much crossover. :)

Ha!! You're not a slacker! Actully, it's because I'm a slacker that I am trying to learn both at the same time! I should have learned Spanish last
year, but I didn't apply myself. Now a friend of mine and I are trying to learn Arabic together. The good thing is that I am ahead of her in Arabic,
so now I can take my time with that and focus more on Spanish. I sure wish I had already gotten into the intermediate level of Spanish before tackling
Arabic, but there's no race! So slow and steady, right? :-) Ha!

Anyway, feel free to write in Spanish. I really shouldn't be because I really don't know that much, but Crush encouraged me to do it, and now I am
very glad because it is actually helping me a lot. I think that this is making me "think" in Spanish more than anything else is! I have the
vocabulary of a 4-year-old, but hey...    :-)

Keep up the good work. We are so close to the same level, I will continue to check on your log to see how you are doing. Maybe we can prod each other
along! :-)

Tu estas cerca a perfectamente a hablar español. Yo estoy un niño en español. Yo trato de hablar espanol. Pero, tu hablas espanol muy bueno.

Edited by BOLIO on 25 March 2014 at 1:56pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5671 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 50 of 196
25 March 2014 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
... except paragraph 3. So the way I wrote it, it says that I have helped myself, basically, is that right? "he ayudado" would be like I helped myself. So putting "me han ayudado" would say that He helped me. Did I get that right?
"he ayudado" literalmente quiere decir "I have helped", "han ayudado" quiere decir "THEY have helped". Añadiendo el "me": "me han ayudado" = "They have helped me". Aquí usamos "han" porque son las correcciones las que te han ayudado, "correcciones" está en plural, así que exige que el verbo también lo esté.

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written)

Message 51 of 196
25 March 2014 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
entiendo muy bien, Crush. ¡Gracias por explicarlo!
1 person has voted this message useful

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 52 of 196
25 March 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
BOLIO wrote:

Tu estas cerca a perfectamente a hablar español. Yo estoy un niño en español. Yo trato de hablar espanol. Pero, tu hablas espanol muy bueno.

¡Gracias, pero no es verdad! Tú y Yo somos como niños, pero vamos a aprender más que los niños. Creo que es magnifico que tú tienes una esposa Mexicana
y haces viajes a Mexico. Entonces pronto vas a poder hablar mucho mejor que yo! :-) ¡No me olvides!

Edited by nancydowns on 25 March 2014 at 10:48pm

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4457 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 53 of 196
26 March 2014 at 9:10am | IP Logged 
I'm following this log anxiously.

No habia conocido que BOLIO tiene una esposa mexicana... :)

P.S. In Spanish, we do not capitalize the names of nationalities.

BOLIO
United States
Joined 4464 days ago

253 posts - 366 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 54 of 196
26 March 2014 at 1:49pm | IP Logged 
nancydowns wrote:
BOLIO wrote:

¡Gracias, pero no es verdad! Tú y Yo somos como niños, pero vamos a aprender más que los niños. Creo que es magnifico que tú tienes una esposa Mexicana
y haces viajes a Mexico. Entonces pronto vas a poder hablar mucho mejor que yo! :-) ¡No me olvides!

Tú eres muy amable. Si tenemos tiempo, vamos a aprender.
Quiero viajar a países españolas. Un día, voy a vivir en México o Ecuador.
(I am sure I messed that up but I keep trying) :)

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 55 of 196
26 March 2014 at 4:12pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:
I'm following this log anxiously.

No habia conocido que BOLIO tiene una esposa mexicana... :)

P.S. In Spanish, we do not capitalize the names of nationalities.

Thanks for stopping by! I had never seen your log before, so now I will look for it and enjoy seeing your Arabic progress. I am still at A0! I know the alphabet,
and if I sound out a word, I know whether or not I know it. But I can't yet just look at Arabic words and know what they are, except a few I have seen so much like
bint, byat, and ibn. So I need to just spend more time writing the words I do know so that I can start recognizing them without having to sound them out. But
that's much further than I was in January, which was zero! :-)

Thanks for telling me that the names of countries aren't capitalized in Spanish... I'll try to commit that to memory! I am glad for the encouragement recently to
try writing in Spanish because it is forcing me to use what I have learned. I think it will help me a lot, so I have started posting a little on Lang8. I really
like to read, so my goal is to start reading some chapter books like "La Telaraña de Carlota" and "Charlie y la Fabrica de Chocolate" by August... I have several
trips coming up this spring and summer with conferences and lots of meetings, so I am not sure where I will actually be by that point... We'll see.

I think the thing that helped my vocabulary in my native language the most was reading books and looking up words in the dictionary. I had a high school English
teacher that had us reading really difficult literature, and he would make sure we understood the hard words with quizzes! So I got used then to using the
dictionary when I was reading. So I am hoping that once I get to where I'm not having to look up words in every sentence that reading books will be the best way to
increase my vocabulary. I am not an Anki person. I tried it, but I hated it, and it made learning Spanish a drag! So my vocabulary suffers because of it. I
definitely admire people who use those and have thousands of words in their vocab. Maybe once I get more of the grammar under my belt I will be more willing to use
Anki.

Best of luck with your language studies! Thanks for posting, and I'd be glad for you to come back anytime! :-)

nancydowns
United States
Joined 3728 days ago

184 posts - 288 votes 

Message 56 of 196
26 March 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
BOLIO wrote:

Quiero viajar a países españolas. Un día, voy a vivir en México o Ecuador.
(I am sure I messed that up but I keep trying) :)

Tú haces múy bien. Es magnífico que podrías viajar y vivir en otros países. Probablemente, yo no podría, así que necesito estudiar más y pronto quiero comenzer leer
libros para niños. Ojála me ayudare.

That last sentence is definitely out of my league! I am kind of reaching! I remember Crush told me that with Ojála you need the subjunctive, so I guess that sentence
would need the future subjunctive... but not really sure! I use a verb conjugation table online for the conjugations I don´t know. That sounds like cheating, but it´s
kind of like looking it up in the dictionary, I guess, maybe some will eventually stick!

¡Buena Suerte! con tus estudios!

Edited by nancydowns on 26 March 2014 at 5:22pm

This discussion contains 196 messages over 25 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version