Diglot
Canada
Joined 4222 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 65 of 78
29 April 2014 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
I'm pleased to say that i'm pretty sure i'll finish on time, despite a moment last week where i thought i was way
behind. Congratulations to everybody even if you didn't meet your goals; i'm sure whatever was accomplished will
be useful preparation for the super challenge!
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 66 of 78
30 April 2014 at 12:30pm | IP Logged 
It's the final day of the challenge, time to hatch and count those chickens!

So, how did the challenge go for you? Which of your goals have you completed? What have
you gained by doing this challenge?

Post your results and in a few days I'll compile a list of those who have completed their
challenges.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4703 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 67 of 78
30 April 2014 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
I'll start with my own results:

Jeffers wrote:
My goals:
1. Learn 300 French words from my Frequency Dictionary of French.
2. Complete 20 passive lessons of Assimil NFWE.

1. 315(ish)/300 words learnt. I hit my goal, but it was increasingly difficult. Now
I have a pretty large backlog of reviews to do on Anki (total due = 600). No new cards
for a while!

2. 21/20 Assimil lessons, lessons 92-112. I'll finish lesson 113 this afternoon, and
will have completed the passive wave of NFWE!

What I have gained
1. "300 vocab items" is nice and easily quantifiable, but how much will it actually
benefit me? Since these were fairly high-frequency words (in the 1400-1700 range or
so), I think it will help a lot. In the bits of reading I have been doing this month,
I often came across words that I had just learnt in the previous few days. I expect
most of these words I learnt will come up quite a bit, and be well embedded over the
first few months of the Super Challenge. I have also learnt that 25 new cards a day is
unsustainable, simply for the increasing number of daily reviews needed!

2. The last 22 lessons of Assimil had a lot of important structures and vocabulary. I
have begun to get a handle on conditionals and the subjunctive mood, although I have
really only scraped the surface. I have practiced my reading and listening, and have
worked on a lot of useful vocabulary, phrases and structures in the process. Most
importantly, I have gotten this particular monkey off my back. I no longer think, "One
of these days I really need to finish Assimil."
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6230 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 68 of 78
30 April 2014 at 1:12pm | IP Logged 
My Results

1. I'm quite ashamed to say I've only met 3/4 of my goals.

Quote:
Name: Jiwon
Goals:
* learn 200 idiomatic expressions in German (14/200 complete)
* Finish a beginner's textbook of Spanish. It's written in Korean, and definitely not
famous so will not list the name here (6/22 chapters complete)

I have finished the textbook of Spanish, but only could study 98 out of 200 German
idioms. I definitely overestimated my acquisition ability. :(

2. Lessons learnt
- I found out that I no longer acquire new words and expressions as automatically as I
used to in my teens. It takes much more time and active effort now.

- Sketching out the literal meaning of the idioms helped me internalize the idiomatic
expressions more than any other method (including scriptorium of example sentences).
For example, to reinforce "jdn. auf dem Kieker haben", I would draw an eye looking at a
small stick figure through a telescope.

I have always known that I am a visual learner (perhaps influenced by Chinese character
lessons in primary school in Korea?), and also that I learn best by actively speaking
with native speakers. As sketching approach combines both visual and active aspects, I
guess that it would have been doubly effective for me.

- Learning elementary Spanish was a really different experience. Although I have
dabbled in many languages besides German and English, it's been a while since I
"properly" studied any other languages other than the two. This experience helped me
rediscover the desire to learn different languages. Both Russian and Malay-Indonesian
look delicious to me.

But I'll stick to bringing my German up to a higher level for now. :)

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4429 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 69 of 78
30 April 2014 at 2:58pm | IP Logged 
Results : 100 new words learnt in Italian, out of 500 initially planned :( So I failed for the learning challenge in
one month but I want to meet this goal all the same, because I think it will turn out useful for the super
challenge (my list was based on unknown words I often came across while reading ).

Sooniye
Diglot
Groupie
Sweden
Joined 3691 days ago

44 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Spanish, Danish, Turkish, Japanese, Croatian, Hindi, Hungarian, Albanian

Message 70 of 78
30 April 2014 at 5:12pm | IP Logged 
It was very interesting to take part in this challenge. I was starting out with high
hopes and optimism, then after about 10 days I started to have high doubts and planned
to drop it all together. However, I persisted and started to see real improvement about
10 days ago. I learned so much this month.

My goals:

Croatian: Learn 200 new words
Spanish: Learn 200 new words
Japanese: Learn hiragana and katakana

I achieved them all, but it was hard work, phew. The best thing is that now I
understand more and more while listening to people talking croatian. Feels great! Now
on to Super Challenge!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 71 of 78
30 April 2014 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
I have managed to do all the grammar chapters I wanted to do - some of them I have even done twice:-)

As for learning the 100 words from my Agatha Christie book, I failed. I looked them up and wrote them down,
and I have learned some, but I cannot quantify them. However I see already how much more Russian I
understand now than last time.

When I started in 2012, it took me a full week on vacation to force myself through a book, and I understood
perhaps 5-10% of the content. It was practically a miracle that I understood who killed who:-)

I do not know how long it will take me to get through a book now, but I will soon find out, and I trust that
between the grammar and the words I have learned for this challenge, I will be able to understand much
more. I think I am up to 40% now, which may still sound like almost nothing, but it is a huge improvement
over 5-10!

Thank you so much for organizing this! It has been the perfect preparation for the Super Challenge, which in
my time zone starts in just a couple of minutes.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4222 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 72 of 78
01 May 2014 at 5:22am | IP Logged 
T-minus 4 hours for the Super Challenge in my time zone! And i manage to reach my modest goal of refreshing my
duo lingo tree. I had let it decay quite a bit and it took me 20-30min a day to get it all back. Now i'm sitting on an 8
day streak and a shiny gold tree =)

I've noticed that the concepts that i've been working on recently on Duolingo are the same ones i'm doing in class
(conditional, future, past perfect, even going a little farther with future perfect and such), so it's good practice to
enforce that. However, the greatest benefit that I see is solidifying concepts/vocab that i only know passively. I think
this will be very useful throughout the SC to really learn all the new stuff that i come across. Plus it's fun and easy
and low commitment and motivating and all that, so i'll definitely be keeping it up.

Congratulations to everyone else with their goals!

This discussion contains 78 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version