Triglot
Luxembourg
Joined 3750 days ago

12 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, German, French
Studies: Italian, Ancient Greek

Message 1 of 12
17 March 2014 at 5:09pm | IP Logged 
In an attempt not to hijack the Criticised Assimil programs thread, I thought I'd start a new one for programs you really love.

I just finished the Assimil Grec Ancien course, and I'd like to ask for more positive experiences and reviews of other programs. I imagine going through a whole book creates a certain affection for it, it's hard to imagine spending that much time with something you don't like. :)

Quote:

Having just finished this book, I thought I'd throw in my two cents. The reviewer above obviously hasn't gotten very far in the book, because the entire storyline changes into a symposium about half-way through, with readings adapted from Xenophon's Symposium and Plato's Symposium. The last few dialogs even provide a re-telling of the Oddessy, followed by Socratic reflections on "true wealth" being in the soul, and the last bonus lesson contains the first 10 lines of the Oddessy in unadapted Epic Greek.

I must say I've become completely enamored with this book, and I've been through quite a few Assimils: Spanish, Italian, Italian Perfectionnement, and now Grec Modern. The Grec ancien course is by far the best, with etymological and historical notes, musical interludes, poetry readings, etc. Now going back to the more "modern" language editions seems boring, (especially the modern Greek version, which does indeed seem stilted, from the first few chapters) simply because they don't contain as much cultural information.

As for the sound, it also took me a little while to get used to the pitch accents. But compared to other readings you can find online in Ancient Greek, they were very well done, and really do add to the learning experience. Spend a day or two getting used to the pronounciation, and you'll see what I mean. People spend too much time arguing about Ancient Greek pronunciation anyway: after an hour, your brain will get used to different pronunciation schemes, as long as they're consistent.

Finally, Ancient Greek is indeed a difficult language, and you shouldn't expect to learn the verbal system through the Assimil notes. That said, working through the whole book after you've got a fairly solid basis in the grammar (after the first 10 chapters of Hansen & Quinn, for example) makes for a much richer learning experience. As with many of their courses, Assimil's Grec ancien isn't really for absolute beginners.

Bottom line: for my money, the Ancient Greek course is really really special.

4 persons have voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4513 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 2 of 12
17 March 2014 at 5:46pm | IP Logged 
Assimil: O Novo Francês Sem Esforço - is an amazing Assimil book. Despite some boring lessons (like 3 lessons in a row about French games like petanque, or the one about the loto), most lessons are very funny and well-written.

Assimil: Dutch With Ease - is also very very good. I haven't finished it yet, but overall it's a very good course.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4505 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 12
17 March 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
The Romanian course is hilarious and comprehensive, it just sadly lacks a good grammar
index.

I also liked the Russian and Hebrew courses (English and French base).
3 persons have voted this message useful

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7019 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 4 of 12
17 March 2014 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 

I think it would be a good idea to list the name, generation, base language and the complimentary information why a person likes it to be listed. An example is the Brazilian Portuguese French base previous edition seems to be lauded, while the new one is a hit or miss depending on the person, but still not considered as good. This way members know what product they are looking for and reading about.

This complimentary thread I guess is the yin to the critical thread's yang.
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4434 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 5 of 12
17 March 2014 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
New French With Ease + Using French are incredibly well rounded and made. My favorites.

josht
Diglot
United States
Joined 6244 days ago

635 posts - 857 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Spanish, Russian, Dutch

Message 6 of 12
17 March 2014 at 8:45pm | IP Logged 
New French with Ease was my first Assimil course, and I love it dearly. It's excellent. I'm currently working through Russian now (the newest version), and it, too, is very good. I've not completed it, but
the first 1/4 of the Dutch course is similarly good.

Edited by josht on 17 March 2014 at 8:45pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

rlnv
United States
Joined 3749 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 7 of 12
17 March 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Another vote for New French with Ease. I'm still working through it but the further I get the more I realize how ingenious it it. At this point in my study I find it indispensable. Yes, it is that good.

I'm sure the other thread has some valid criticisms, but I hope it does not turn perspective students away from NFWE or other Assimil courses that are equally as brilliant.

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7019 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 8 of 12
17 March 2014 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 

@gregf,

This is in regards to the purpose of this thread. Are you interested on the reasons why
members like specific Assimil programs, or just members stating they like a program?

Some of the posters, wrote a program is very good, excellent, or I like it, but no given
reasons. I thought members would post, something similar to what you wrote concerning
Ancient Greek a person would get a solid basis of the grammar.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version