Tags: Assimil
 Language Learning Forum : Language Programs, Books & Tapes Post Reply
12 messages over 2 pages: 1
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4053 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 9 of 12
17 March 2014 at 10:25pm | IP Logged 
These are 3 of my favorites that I've completed so far. There are other ones I like, but I'll wait til I've fully completed them before writing them up.

French Without Toil - 140 Lessons - 1st Generation

Reasons: Among one of the longest courses Assimil has ever made. Like other 1st generation assimil courses, it has song lessons, in this case 20 of them. Plus there are tons of additional exercises after each lesson for extra practice. And once the dialogs get up to full speed they're faster than the 2nd generation intermediate course (Using French). The most unique feature of all, is it starts giving you grammar instruction in French as the course progresses with new words translated in parenthesis. This makes it ideal for anyone looking to use another Assimil courses that are only offered from a french base.

Using French - 70 Lessons - 2nd Generation

Reasons: Lots of information about France, history, the provinces, and tons of literature excerpts with information about the authors. People have complained about the love story, but it doesn't take up very many lessons.

Hungarian with Ease - 85 Lessons - 2nd Generation

Reasons: Not an easy course for absolute beginners. But the lessons are a good length, and it introduces native materials fairly early compared to most other Assimil courses I've used. You get poetry, songs, and Hungarian history.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Mutant
Groupie
United States
Joined 3710 days ago

45 posts - 60 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German

Message 10 of 12
18 March 2014 at 1:43am | IP Logged 
Spanish With Ease

I completed this title last year. I was using it as a false-beginner to improve my Spanish. It isn't as interesting as New French With Ease but it would make a good, solid introduction to the language and I found it to be an excellent refresher course. I wish they had a "Latin American" version available, but all things considered it's a good course. I've loaned it to a friend who wants to learn Spanish and am sure that if she follows the instructions and sticks with it every day, she'll get a lot out of the course.

New French With Ease

I am currently on lesson 62. This course has done the impossible: make me actually enjoy French. I originally started learning French so that I would have access to other Assimil courses. Now, thanks to New French With Ease, I am starting to love the language and look forward every day to my next lesson.
2 persons have voted this message useful

magic9man2
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6428 days ago

149 posts - 153 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: Arabic (Written), Mandarin, French, Cantonese, Russian, Korean, Taiwanese, Arabic (Levantine)

Message 11 of 12
20 March 2014 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I love the Russian without toil from 1951. It even includes a great song like Очи чёрные(dark eyes) every 7 lessons.
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4688 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 12 of 12
25 March 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
I'm glad to hear that the Greek course gets better! Or at least, works better if you
already have a base in the grammar. It was a really hard course for a complete beginner,
but you've tempted me to take another look at it.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version