United Kingdom
lilyonlife.blog
Joined 3650 days ago

239 posts - 327 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Swedish, Esperanto

Message 41 of 42
07 May 2014 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
I personally think that the English educational system is atrocious. Primary schools
(ages 4-11) are not required to offer language classes and, although it is obligatory for
all secondary school students (ages 11-16) to study a language, after three- to five
years of language education most students can barely get past a self introduction in
their TL.

The case was the same for me, despite the fact that I was very passionate about language learning and my TL. I think that part of the problem is the late start that children have to language learning and the way that language education is structured. I agree with Henkkles - young learners should be given access to interesting and engaging content as part of the educational process.

Edited by Elenia on 07 May 2014 at 11:44am

1 person has voted this message useful

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4596 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 42 of 42
07 May 2014 at 11:53am | IP Logged 
I'm in Scotland. We have our own education system but it isn't a 'national curriculum'-
technically it's just guidance. So foreign languages at any level aren't actually a
legal necessity...

The Scottish parliament wants to push the 1+2 system in our primary schools (ages 5-11
years). Great if you have the enough primary teachers with a high enough language
ability. We don't. And 2/3 of our councils have scrapped foreign language assistants
(think foreign students on an English language degree on a year's living/work
experience in the UK). A commendable idea in theory. But presently unworkable on the
ground...

However, in our secondary schools (ages 11-17/18- minimum leaving age 16)foreign
languages are in a dreadful state! I had no idea how bad until I looked up the stats to
reply to this thread. I despair.

Less than 66% of 13-16 year olds are taking ONE language for the 2 year course which
leads to our standard level exams at 15/16. And only 12% of S5 pupils which is the year
you sit your exam that you'd need to study that language at university.

Private school pupils who make up less than 5% of the cohort, make up 10% of the French
entries, 16% of Spanish, 17% of German and 18% of Italian entries. The national exam
board, SQA, have now stopped the Russian qualification due to lack of interest. And the
publishing company, Leckie, who produce the exam study guides and past papers have
stopped making them for German and Spanish because it's unprofitable.

Apparently, after the USA, Germany is Scotland's largest trading partner. But if the
rate of decline in its uptake continues, the TES article suggests there could be very
few/ no new Scottish speakers of the language in 20 years time!

The Scotsman

Times Educational
Supplement

Edited by yantai_scot on 07 May 2014 at 11:56am

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 42 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version