Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

How would you study languages in prison?

Tags: Surroundings
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
25 messages over 4 pages: 13 4  Next >>
sctroyenne
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5185 days ago

739 posts - 1312 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Irish

Message 9 of 25
21 March 2014 at 4:51pm | IP Logged 
dmaddock1 wrote:
Wow, truth be told, variations of this situation have been a
vicarious fantasy of mine--alone for years with nothing but my books to keep me
company. However, knowing someone is facing this for real makes me feel guilty for
imagining it might be a desirable situation.

Which language(s) to choose

From the comments thus far, the two biggest criteria appear to be: 1. can develop
decent pronunciation without audio and 2. as an aid for life post-prison. As to the
latter, being able to tell a potential employer, etc. that "I spent that time improving
myself by learning X" where X is any sufficiently impressive endeavor, is the goal--so
it almost doesn't matter what the X actually is. Although, Spanish might actually be
counter-productive in this regard because, assuming he is incarcerated in the US,
Spanish has a negative stigma and is associated with low social class and lack of
education. (Not my opinion of course, just how I see the situation.) If the intent is
to impress, he should pick something with greater prestige.

I'd have to say I thought of what it would be like to be in prison for a while and just
read as well. Though there are some big down sides so maybe a monastery/convent is more
what we would have in mind.

I wouldn't say there are any class concerns for learning Spanish as a second language
in the US aside from maybe some very upper-class circles where everyone sends their
kids to French or Mandarin immersion schools. Many Americans are impressed with anyone
who learned to speak a second language fluently though I don't know how it would be
perceived in prison. I wouldn't want to think about what it would be like to be
perceived as the "nerd" in prison.

It could help to use his book allowance to check out two copies of the same book - in
English and in Spanish (or whatever language he chooses) and read them as parallel
texts. Otherwise there are dual language books.

If he can take advantage of the pen pal program to chat with someone in the language
he's reading that will help if he can't break through the racial tensions to talk to
someone in prison.

Otherwise just keeping his mind occupied will be a great help.

2 persons have voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4530 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 25
21 March 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
My first question would be, does he have access to whatever books he wants? And
similarly, are writing materials allowed? If no to the first question, he may be
restricted to whatever his library can offer.

Assuming he has whatever materials necessary, I guess the choice of language comes down
to whether you believe that learning the written language exclusively will spoil you
for any future learning of the spoken language. If you do believe that, then a dead
language would probably be the best choice.

Frankly, I'm not sure. I'm a big believer in prioritizing listening and speaking in the
initial phases. But if you keep in mind that the sounds you're imagining in your head
don't correspond exactly, indeed if you think of it as a kind of accent that you'll
eventually unlearn, wouldn't it still be a big advantage to learn 3, 5 or 10 years of
the written language?

If you go in this direction, you may as well go for Chinese or Japanese. With all that
time you could certainly develop a good understanding of written Chinese, Japanese, or
possibly even both. Certainly Chinese would present even more pronunciation
difficulties.

If you really think this would introduce too much fossilization, in addition to dead
languages Esperanto would be a viable option. There isn't really a correct accent as
far as I understand and it would be a good start to any new language learner. Materials
could be an issue, however.
1 person has voted this message useful

oldearth
Groupie
United States
Joined 4689 days ago

72 posts - 173 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Esperanto

Message 11 of 25
21 March 2014 at 8:03pm | IP Logged 
Thanks everyone for your responses so far. They've been really interesting to read.

dmaddock1 wrote:

What's the writing situation like? Are notebooks considered books? If feasible and necessary, I would use the
scriptorium technique quite a lot which would result in my own copies of some books which I could keep and
reread after I had exchanged the original book.

As far as I know, basic writing materials are unrestricted and do not count as books. I don't know if heavy
notecards are permitted. I think after going through one or two beginning books (e.g. TY and Assimil), I would
spend considerable time intensively reading by copying out portions of the text by hand and annotating them
fully. I already do this when I have time, and find it less frustrating than trying to plow ahead at full speed when
I'm not able.

sctroyenne wrote:

I wouldn't say there are any class concerns for learning Spanish as a second language
in the US aside from maybe some very upper-class circles where everyone sends their
kids to French or Mandarin immersion schools. Many Americans are impressed with anyone
who learned to speak a second language fluently though I don't know how it would be
perceived in prison. I wouldn't want to think about what it would be like to be
perceived as the "nerd" in prison.

I agree with this. I think Spanish might be the best choice just because of its wide use in the US and his passive
exposure through eavesdropping, although the main goal here is just to stay mentally occupied and useful rather
than learn a particular skill to impress people. I brought up the race thing to remind people who don't know that
prisons in the US are highly segregated along racial lines, and racial ties form the basis of the various large
prison gangs. So if you're a skinny white dude and have to respect the expectations of the local Aryan
Brotherhood, that doesn't leave much leeway for going up to latino men for some awkward "Hola. Como te
llamas?" action. But as long as you don't look like a huge nerd in front of others, I think what he works on in his
cell is reasonably private.

osoymar wrote:

My first question would be, does he have access to whatever books he wants? And
similarly, are writing materials allowed? If no to the first question, he may be
restricted to whatever his library can offer.

Hypothetically, any books his lawyer can order direct from Amazon should be allowed which limits us to courses
currently in print. Any accompanying audio disks will be taken and discarded by the authorities screening his
mail. There is also mention that "coded/undecipherable materials" may not be allowed because they cannot be
screened properly, so it's probably best to stick with languages that do not make heavy use of symbols (so no
Greek), and also to choose translations of works that are recognizable from the cover (e.g. the Bible, Harry Potter,
Lord of the Rings, other bestseller novels with familiar author names).

tanya b
United States
Joined 4572 days ago

159 posts - 518 votes 
Speaks: Russian

Message 12 of 25
21 March 2014 at 8:49pm | IP Logged 
I have in my possession an article about a native Russian speaker who took a job as a teacher at the Millcreek juvenile prison in Utah who decided to teach his students Russian in the classroom and stated that they responded very well, mainly because they were proud that they could do something that no one else could do.

It's doubtful that any of them went on to receive a Phd in Russian Literature at Yale, but the perceived nerdiness of learning Russian in prison was not an issue. These were gangbangers of all races who were curious about their new teacher's accent and Russian served as a reference point to stimulate academic interest in a population not known for academic achievement.

I don't know the circumstances of the prisoner in question, but it would seem to me that a Secured Housing Unit, not a dormitory or two-man cell, would be the best place for serious language study. Living in prolonged isolation is hell for most people, but at least there is minimal interference from other inmates. As soon as hostile or rival inmates see something is of value to you, even if it is just a paperback dictionary, the temptation is to steal or destroy it. Prison guards on a whim also could deprive an inmate of learning materials so there is no guarantee of completing the study.

Anyone in this situation should start out small, with a simple workbook and a pocket dictionary, and see where that leads them. I know that many POWs have learned the languages of their captors under trying circumstances, but it's not impossible. And it's definitely more constructive than covering your body with prison tattoos.

Edited by tanya b on 21 March 2014 at 9:38pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Micha
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4159 days ago

26 posts - 33 votes
Speaks: German*, English, DutchC1
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 25
22 March 2014 at 5:43pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
As reading materials I would suggest a very thick book with a translation (it doesn't have to be Harry Potter, but with just 10 books at any time it would be stupid to choose thin books) - maybe an anthology of some kind, plus of course a dictionary with pronunciation directives and examples. Just a simple grammar in the beginning.

It is a problem if there isn't anything to listen to, and if he isn't on so friendly terms with other inmates that they would accept to speak to him in his target language, but then he would just have to concentrate on the written language in the beginning. It can be done, as I know from my own studies - including those that took place before the internet.

As for the choice of language: In the USA Spanish would of course be the logical choice: lots of materials to choose from, a pronunciation which is relatively predictable from the spelling and many speakers outside the prison. And it might also be seen as less weird than for instance Latin or Esperanto by other inmates, which could be a relevant factor if he doesn't want to jeopardize his status in that specific subculture. Just reading books there might give him a problem.

There is no way to tell how social dynamics play out in that particular prison, however generally I would advise against Spanish, but for the same reason.

In prison weird is good. The weirder the better. Latin is perfect for that (and also neutral).

Not good is everything that could possibly be interpreted as a supplicating gesture.

He will know best which languages to avoid. Just never learn a language that is associated with rivals. It will be perceived as weak by everyone.

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4662 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 14 of 25
22 March 2014 at 8:22pm | IP Logged 
I would totally go for Mandarin or maybe Japanese.

Seeing as he has lots of time to work on reading (and writing), he could learn several thousand characters (although the usual number stated is 3000, I recently read that 6000+ will get you to a near-native level in Mandarin) with something like the Heisig books and later work on pronunciation an speaking. In Mandarin the writing and speaking systems are very different and learning how to write and read are the biggest time sinks and there are quite a few people who advocate learning how to read and write first without paying attention to the pronunciation. It would probably really impress people if he can read and write Mandarin when he gets out. Mandarin will certainly keep him occupied for a good while, too.

And there's nothing to say he can't study Spanish (or whatever else he's interested in) on the side).

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4528 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 15 of 25
23 March 2014 at 8:57am | IP Logged 
druckfehler wrote:
I would totally go for Mandarin or maybe Japanese.

And there's nothing to say he can't study Spanish (or whatever else he's interested in)
on the side).
Um I don't think you quite get the concept of prison if you think
learning an asian language is gonna be a good idea.

I'd go with Italian and Spanish(passively). Italian is I think a neural language in
prison but I could be completely wrong.

German would be next on my list but than you really have to know your position with the
neo nazi.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6391 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 25
23 March 2014 at 11:14am | IP Logged 
Thor1987 wrote:
Um I don't think you quite get the concept of prison if you think
learning an asian language is gonna be a good idea.
of American prison

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 25 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version