Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4758 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 1 of 11
22 March 2014 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
First off, I have been told that I have a good pronunciation in my TLs, to the point that most people ask how long did I stay in their countries (never lived in any country where my TLs are spoken). But I do have an accent.

I don't know why exactly, but I feel my accent has gotten worse in recent times. But I think it may be a trick of my ears: maybe they are now so fine tuned to the languages (I can now discern several accents in each one), that I am simply noticing shortcomings in my pronunciation that I had not noticed before.

Is this plausible or are there cases where peoples' pronunciation gets worse as their fluency advances? (maybe because they talk faster and use more difficult words)

Beyond the above, I would like to know if anyone has experience in DIY accent reduction: that is, any techniques, ready-made courses, etc, in this aspect.

My other question would be: if I were to seek out materials for accent reduction, I would assume that by their nature these materials are language specific to the mother language of the speaker trying to reduce this accent in the TL?

Are there accent improvement courses that are independent of the user's native language?

Obviously, my interest is for German, French, and Portuguese.

Any tips, experiences, and anecdotes welcome!
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7014 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 2 of 11
22 March 2014 at 9:11am | IP Logged 
For English Speakers seeking French, there is
FSI French Phonology.

There is also the Pronounce It Perfectly series.

Edited by luke on 22 March 2014 at 9:11am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 11
22 March 2014 at 9:28am | IP Logged 
I do not think I have ever come across any learner whose accent becomes worse as he comes closer to
fluency, so I think your explanation about your ear being more fine tuned now, sounds plausible.

Usually I have an anecdote about everything under the sun (comes with an advanced age :-) but I am turning
up blank here. All I can do is to wish you luck, and express my satisfaction that there are more people out
there who are as fanatic about pronunciation as I am.

And if you like we could get in touch over Skype and I can tell you whether you do indeed have an accent in
French. Perhaps you are just being too self- critical. I am not really qualified to judge your German and
Portuguese, but I used to be a French teacher, and my French is still pretty strong, so I would feel confident
enough to listen to your French.
1 person has voted this message useful

napoleon
Tetraglot
India
Joined 4825 days ago

543 posts - 874 votes 
Speaks: Bengali*, English, Hindi, Urdu
Studies: French, Arabic (Written)

Message 4 of 11
22 March 2014 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
You're in luck! :-)
As luke already mentioned, FSI French Phonology is an excellent introduction to French pronunciation.
It is not an easy course. But it is very good. (It teaches you the Parisian accent)
FSI has Programmed Introduction courses for German and Portuguese as well.
The best thing is, they won't cost you a dime! :-)
Happy studying!

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5071 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 5 of 11
22 March 2014 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
Outcast, for Portuguese, take a look at Benny's post at Fi3M How to Speak Portuguese as if you were from Rio. He went on a "mission" to convince Cariocas he was a native for at least a minute and managed to pull off 30 seconds successfully.

outcast
Bilingual Heptaglot
China
Joined 4758 days ago

869 posts - 1364 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, English*, German, Italian, French, Portuguese, Mandarin
Studies: Korean

Message 6 of 11
22 March 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
Thank you to all of you, very good posts from every single one of you.

I may try Skyping Solfrid :o

I love phonetics too, and as I mentioned one time in the past, I enjoy the satisfaction of reproducing properly a foreign sound (which then would not be foreign anymore). I have no interest in fooling natives though, I just want to know that I tried my best to polish all aspects of my language learning.
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4637 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 7 of 11
22 March 2014 at 6:50pm | IP Logged 
outcast wrote:
Thank you to all of you, very good posts from every single one of you.

I may try Skyping Solfrid :o

I love phonetics too, and as I mentioned one time in the past, I enjoy the satisfaction
of reproducing properly a foreign sound (which then would not be foreign anymore). I
have no interest in fooling natives though, I just want to know that I tried my best to
polish all aspects of my language learning.

I think you are wise. Trying to fool natives seems a particularly pointless aim. But on
the other hand, one would like natives to find listening to oneself a pleasure, and not
a burden. A slight accent can often be pleasant, and adds character, but over a certain
degree, it can become a burden to listen to for any length of time, so a certain amount
of work on accent reduction, without becoming obsessional, is probably worth the
effort.

My instinctive feeling is that learning to become a really good listener is the
key. Once we think we know how a language is pronounced, we tend to make assumptions,
and perhaps do not listen as well as we should.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5190 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 8 of 11
24 March 2014 at 3:09pm | IP Logged 
I’ve never heard of anyone’s accent getting worse as fluency progresses. There is certainly the possibility that you are getting more critical as your listening abilities progress and that your understanding of what you are targeting improves over time. It's common to fix something, only to start noticing another issue.

Accent reduction is more of an art than a science. There's so much bogus and useless advice out there. I encourage to question any advice you get on this topic – including mine.

You can read all the technical literature you want, nothing just happens on its own. You have to become your own critic by learning to identify your own mistakes and fix them. No one can reposition your tongue, control your nasal opening, your vocal chords, etc., for you. In fact, learning to do this in another language is probably not possible until you have a excellent understanding of how you pronounce your first language.

Getting a language coach is a great idea, but few people have the skills to identify and explain accent problems. If you find one, don’t forget that the goal is to learn to become your own critic. This person should help you find and fix your own issues.

The best material would obviously be language-specific. But in my experience, few people can read an explanation and turn it into a permanent change to their pronunciation. It would be like reading about how to ride a bike or hit a ball, even if the information was geared towards people with your specific physical characteristics. With the difference that pronouncing is like hitting a ball blind-folded: you get no immediate feedback -- unless you learn to feel it yourself.

I am currently teaching a pronunciation class to a group of Japanese students. While I didn’t design the lesson plan, I do put in my two cents and we try to deal with Japanese-specific issues. It’s impressive how the speakers of a language all have more or less the exact same issues. Very few issues are speaker-specific.

I suppose I could potentially act as a language coach for French if you are interested. While I don't speak European French, I can definitely pick up non-native traits.

Edited by Arekkusu on 24 March 2014 at 3:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version