Tetraglot
Switzerland
Joined 6251 days ago

4474 posts - 6726 votes 
Speaks: English*, Esperanto, German, Italian
Studies: French, Finnish, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 9 of 11
24 March 2014 at 9:34pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu: my Italian accent got worse as I got better at the language, at least once. I started an Italian class for beginners as a teenager, with a lot of non-native students, and quickly acquired a strong accent in the language. I'd previously known perhaps a few dozen phrases, but had heard the language throughout my life. So at least for heritage learners who start getting worse input, it's possible.

Aside from that, I strongly second everything you said.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4640 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 11
25 March 2014 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
I wonder if people should spend more time recording their own voice and comparing it to
the same words spoken by native speakers?

I'm sure people are doing this, but I don't think I've seen it very much talked about
here.

Of course, having a native speaker listen is the ideal, but it's not always possible,
while it's relatively easy to record and listen to one's own voice (even if "painful",
sometimes, at least until one gets used to it).
3 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5019 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 11
25 March 2014 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
I think my Italian accent also got worse after I started. At first I focused a lot on getting the pronunciation right, but after that I concentrated more on other aspects of the language and pronunciation fell by the wayside a bit and I picked up bad habits. Like most things, if you don't practise it you lose it.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version