Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 89 of 100
07 April 2014 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
In the vast majority of cases, getting the students to make the right sound is not a big problem. Actually, that's the easy part.

Let me take a very simple concrete example. I have Japanese students -- smart kids, top of the class from top universities -- who say things like "ando", "hab", "sing" instead of and, have and thing. When you correct them -- and eventually, when you ask them to correct themselves --, they'll give you a perfect and, have and thing. Get them to talk about anything and you'll get ando, hab and sing again. I think that when they repeat or correct themselves on cue, they are "stretching the truth" so to speak, pushing their pronunciation outside of their usual pronunciation just to match your request. When they speak freely, there is too much to monitor at once and they can't correct themselves -- and the incorrect representation resurfaces. Changing that representation is the really hard part.
6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 90 of 100
07 April 2014 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
In the vast majority of cases, getting the students to make the right sound is not a big
problem. Actually, that's the easy part.

Let me take a very simple concrete example. I have Japanese students -- smart kids, top of the class from top
universities -- who say things like "ando", "hab", "sing" instead of and, have and thing. When you correct them --
and eventually, when you ask them to correct themselves --, they'll give you a perfect and, have and thing. Get
them to talk about anything and you'll get ando, hab and sing again. I think that when they repeat or correct
themselves on cue, they are "stretching the truth" so to speak, pushing their pronunciation outside of their usual
pronunciation just to match your request. When they speak freely, there is too much to monitor at once and they
can't correct themselves -- and the incorrect representation resurfaces. Changing that representation is the really
hard part.

Is the problem really changing the representation? The problem may be more with the instruction. If I can quote
myself again:

"With lots of corrective feedback, we can bring the learner to produce the sound relatively accurately. Then we
have to consolidate that sound in various words and contexts."

It's the consolidation in various contexts that is the hard part. Speaking in entire sentences is much harder than
in isolated sounds because of all the co-existing phenomena. I don't see this as a question of changing
representation. I see it as a problem of working with larger units of production and with constant repetition.
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 91 of 100
07 April 2014 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
How does a dialect coach work with actors? It's listening and guided production with a ton of feedback. It must be
said that actors are working with a specific script. It's not that they are learning to speak the dialect spontaneously.

Could the actor learn the dialect spontaneously just by listening over and over again? Could you develop perfect
pronunciation of a foreign language just by listening to tapes. Probably not. That's why the coaches charge $150 an
hour.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 92 of 100
07 April 2014 at 7:48pm | IP Logged 
If mental representation is such a big part of phonological performance, how does one go about modifying it? It
seems to ,e that it all boils down to working on production. Here is the course outline of a 10-session package
for the American Accent Acquisition Course from English by the Hour and for $1250 US over Skype:

"The three areas of focus include:

Pronunciation of individual vowels and consonants:
Learn the International Phonetic Alphabet
Practice articulating both long and short vowels
Learn how to pronounce consonants in all environments: initial, medial, and final
Tongue twisters & articulation exercises
Breath exercises
Word stress patterns:
Rules of both English and foreign-derived words
Dividing words into syllables
Syllable length
Stressed and unstressed syllables
Word form stress shift patterns
Nouns, adjectives & adverbs vs. verbs
Compound nouns
Intonation, rhythm, and linking:
Neutral or “unmarked” patterns for statements and questions
Contrastive stress and usage
Content vs. function words
Rhythm and linking
Word clustering/grouping and Powerful Pauses
Most importantly: transfer and error correction techniques and exercises to support change! "

There's probably some time spent on listening to recordings, but I'm sure that most of the time is spent on
talking.

Edited by s_allard on 07 April 2014 at 7:48pm

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 93 of 100
07 April 2014 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

Is the problem really changing the representation? The problem may be more with the instruction.

Why would a student continue to mispronounce -- in the same way -- a word that they can otherwise pronounce just fine if they aren't returning to a persistently false representation of that word?
4 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 94 of 100
07 April 2014 at 10:58pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
s_allard wrote:

Is the problem really changing the representation? The problem may be more with the instruction.

Why would a student continue to mispronounce -- in the same way -- a word that they can otherwise pronounce
just fine if they aren't returning to a persistently false representation of that word?

This actually a good question. Why do learners keep making the same mistake that has been previously
corrected? Basically, it's the imperfect nature of the learning process. Most errors don't disappear immediately. It
takes time but hopefully they go away as the learner gains mastery of the new skills. This is nothing new or
surprising.

But what is important here is the learning or the teaching process. As long as you work with isolated sounds this
problem with endure. As soon as the student can master the isolated sounds, you have to start working at higher
levels.

It's the same problem with grammar. If you only work at the word level, progress will be slow in terms of fluent
speech. At some point you have to start working with entire phrases and dialogues.

Why are most people who have studied a language for years unable to speak fluently? The basic reason, along
with others, is that they never really learned how to speak. Their head is full of words and rules that they cannot
use properly because they never learned properly in the first place.

poorenglish_
Spain
Joined 4428 days ago

12 posts - 17 votes
Speaks: Spanish*
Studies: English

Message 95 of 100
08 April 2014 at 12:22am | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
When you correct them -- and eventually, when you ask them to correct themselves --, they'll give you a perfect and, have and thing. Get them to talk about anything and you'll get ando, hab and sing again.

That's exactly what happens to me. Is there any way to improve it?
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5224 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 96 of 100
08 April 2014 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
If we return to the OP, we can look at it in terms of what does it take to get a very good accent in the target
language. This can be framed in terms of mental representation of sounds, if so desired. I look at the passage
between hearing and speaking as a black box that can have various contents. But the real question is what
should the user do.

There is all the usual stuff. Lot's of listening and shadowing. Drill the known difficulties. Record yourself. But
the number one thing to do is to get feedback from a good teacher. This is a person who can diagnose what is
wrong with your accent and how to correct it.

The problem is that people don't want to spend money on something they believe they can do on their own. They
don't mind spending money on a personal trainer in a gym, but when it comes to their speaking a foreign
language, they somehow think that it should be free or that it's easy. All you have to do is buy a book, Speak A
Language Like A Native.

People should use language trainers just like personal trainers. It can make all the difference between wasting
your time going in circles and making real progress. This is something that rich people have known for a long
time. Tutors exist for a reason.

If speaking well is important for you, get a good tutor.

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version