bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 25 of 100
24 March 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I have met highly intelligent people - also linguists - who had horrible pronunciations, so I am less than convinced of any correlation. I am sure there are many highly intelligent people with great theoretical knowledge and fantastic accents, but I am absolutely certain that one does not need the theory in order to get it right in practise.

Actually, I wasn't insinuating that having theoretical knowledge would suffice; the correlation was simply that those who do well with accents probably have great control over the production of their L1 to begin with (whether or not that control is supplemented with theoretical knowledge).

Edited by Arekkusu on 24 March 2014 at 4:54pm

1 person has voted this message useful

NewLanguageGuy
Groupie
France
youtube.com/NewLangu
Joined 4401 days ago

74 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 26 of 100
24 March 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
I agree with Stujay about having to hit the right notes. Doing so just takes endless practice.

If you want to just converse, focus on your grammar and syntax before anything else.

Once your grammar is good, then work on the accent. No good sounding like a native but making tons of mistakes.

A lot of people will force the accent to hide gaps in their knowledge of the mechanics of the language.

After that, the question has to br: Why try to sound like a native?

For English speakers particularly, it helps to stop natives in their TL replying to them in English.

One piece of advice I always give is not to try and speak fast. Speak slowly and deliberately. You are never speaking as slowly as you think you are.

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5175 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 27 of 100
24 March 2014 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
NewLanguageGuy wrote:
A lot of people will force the accent to hide gaps in their knowledge of the mechanics of the language.

Really? Accent is the hardest thing to fix, so working on that to hide grammatical mistakes seems counterproductive.

Edited by Arekkusu on 24 March 2014 at 5:15pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

NewLanguageGuy
Groupie
France
youtube.com/NewLangu
Joined 4401 days ago

74 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 28 of 100
24 March 2014 at 6:04pm | IP Logged 
Perhaps not in all languages, but I find in Latin languages people tend to focus on accent at the expense of syntax.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6376 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 29 of 100
24 March 2014 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Arekkusu wrote:
Ari, I suspect that people who pick up other languages' accents with relative ease tend to have a good grasp of the their pronunciation in their first language (ie. could write it down in IPA, describe how the sounds are made, could explain how their accent differs from that of other speakers, can easily modulate their pronunciation given the context, etc.). Would you say this applies to you?

Sure, probably. I don't really know IPA, but I find I can make distinctions and pick up on them in places where most people can't. For example, when I discuss how the difference between "nakenbadare" and "naken badare" is not one of pausing between words (nobody does that in their native language) but rather one of tone, I find a lot of people have a hard time grasping this, despite having no trouble producing both phrases flawlessly. But even though they don't actually do pause between words, they think they do, because of the spaces in texts. A similar example in English might be how lots of Americans believe they pronounce "writer" and "rider" differently when they actually don't.

EDIT: The Swedish example is evident in how lots of Swedes have trouble knowing when to space words apart and when to write them together, even though they have no problem with the differing pronunciations. I have never had a problem with that. I'd love to see a study trying to correlate difficulty with "särskrivning" (as the issue is called when people separate words that should be written as a compound) and accent in foreign languages (English would be easiest, as almost all Swedes can speak it).

Edited by Ari on 24 March 2014 at 6:49pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5001 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 30 of 100
25 March 2014 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
NewLanguageGuy wrote:
Perhaps not in all languages, but I find in Latin languages people tend to focus on accent at the expense of syntax.

Yes, I have met quite a few people who speak French, for example, with a great accent but about five mistakes per sentence. And they tend to get a lot of praise from native speakers, which would suggest that the good accent "hides" the mistakes. I suppose they're just playing to their strengths; while I find grammar much easier than accent, everyone is different and I don't doubt that those people are the opposite and find grammar hard and boring while accent comes naturally to them. From their point of view, why struggle with grammar work when accent has much the same effect?

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5128 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 31 of 100
25 March 2014 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
NewLanguageGuy wrote:
I agree with Stujay about having to hit the right notes. Doing so just takes endless practice.

If you want to just converse, focus on your grammar and syntax before anything else.

Once your grammar is good, then work on the accent. No good sounding like a native but making tons of mistakes.

After that, the question has to br: Why try to sound like a native?

For English speakers particularly, it helps to stop natives in their TL replying to them in English.

One piece of advice I always give is not to try and speak fast. Speak slowly and deliberately. You are never speaking as slowly as you think you are.

I am happy to see that I do not disagree with @arekkusu then, but unless I misunderstand you totally, I do disagree with you :-)

- If you ignore your accent in the beginning, you are almost certain to have problems later on.

- And if you have poor grammar, at least show mercy to the people you talk with by having a pleasent accent.

- Forcing the accent to hide gaps in knowledge - of course! It is called survival strategy!

- I think very few have the ambition to sound like an actual native - it is more a question of reaching for the stars, in order to get as high as possible.

- And as soon as I can say anything at all in a language, I will always speak fast. I am genetically incapable of talking slowly, unless forced to by lack of skills. That is by the way also quite a good strategy. Many years ago I asked a Canadian English teacher to correct my English mistakes. "I can't do that" she said. "You speak so fast that my brain does not have the time to register them".

I only wish that worked in writing as well. My fingers can't follow my brain, so when I write fast, there are more mistakes than correct words.

2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4416 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 32 of 100
25 March 2014 at 2:33pm | IP Logged 
An accent which seriously hinders communication is never a desirable thing. But an accent doesn't have to be anywhere near native-like in order for your speech to be readily understood by natives.

And there lies the rub. A fair approximation of a native accent will allow you to fully participate so I reckon many people leave it there. Why spend a large amounts of time filing away the rough edges when you can already communicate and there are other things to learn. Of course, there's nothing wrong with pursuing the perfect accent if that's your goal, but it isn't a necessary survival skill.

This discussion contains 100 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version