Americano
Korea, South
Joined 6655 days ago

101 posts - 120 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Korean

Message 1 of 18
22 March 2014 at 4:42pm | IP Logged 
I'm starting an MBA course soon, and I'm quite interested in working in SE Asia, and one of the challenges to getting employment in Asia is language skills. So, I'm looking into Indonesia, which gives me access to Indonesia, and for the most part Singapore and Malaysia. The ease of learning Indonesian will be welcomed after Korean. I"m curious if anyone here studies Indonesian (or Malay) and can recommend good sources that can take a beginner to the high intermediate level at least. I've done some searching, and I've found a podcast, which seemed decent, and there is one level of Pimsleur. Unfortunately it seems hard to find an old Linguaphone course and the FSI course is not available.

Anyone who has recommendations on how to best learn Indonesian or Malay, I would love to hear them.

Edited by Americano on 22 March 2014 at 4:42pm

1 person has voted this message useful

mgr.graham
Diglot
United States
Joined 5782 days ago

15 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Greek, Indonesian, Malay

Message 2 of 18
25 March 2014 at 11:23pm | IP Logged 
Beginning Indonesian Through Self-Instruction by John Wolff

The Indonesian Way LINK
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3797 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 3 of 18
25 March 2014 at 11:37pm | IP Logged 
Colloquial and Teach Yourself courses seem to be OK. Defence Service Institute also produced a course which is on the Internet, but if I remember well this DSI course was made before the spelling reform. If you don't mind the French part then you could try Assimil as well.

Americano
Korea, South
Joined 6655 days ago

101 posts - 120 votes 

Message 4 of 18
26 March 2014 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the replies.

@mgr.graham - The Indonesian Way looks like a nice free resource. Have you used Beginning Indonesian Through Self-Instruction? There aren't many resources for Indonesian/Malay, so I think I'll need to use everything I can get my hands on to get me to an intermediate level and then start to use more native sources.

@hungringo - I was actually just taking a look at the TY program online the other day and I think I'll probably get it since it's rather cheap. I'm not sure about DSI, but I just found this from DLI: DLI Indonesia

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3797 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 5 of 18
26 March 2014 at 10:22am | IP Logged 
Sorry, Americano, of course I meant DLI and not DSI.

Americano
Korea, South
Joined 6655 days ago

101 posts - 120 votes 

Message 6 of 18
26 March 2014 at 4:58pm | IP Logged 
Hungringo wrote:
Sorry, Americano, of course I meant DLI and not DSI.

Haha...there seem to be so many different acronyms out there I figured maybe there's another government body producing programs.

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4939 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 7 of 18
23 May 2014 at 5:20pm | IP Logged 
The Indonesian Way does indeed look like a decent course.

Another podcast-style course that looks OK is
Learning Indonesian.

R.
==

JamesS
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4024 days ago

20 posts - 30 votes
Speaks: English*, Indonesian
Studies: Javanese, German, Mandarin

Message 8 of 18
24 May 2014 at 3:39am | IP Logged 
There are a multitude of foreign business people working in Indonesia who would not be able to utter a single
syllable in Indonesian, but it is certainly the case that being able to speak the language makes living there a
completely different experience.

Depending on how pressed you are for time, I'd suggest you spend some time at one of the excellent
language schools in Yogyakarta. When I was there a couple of years ago you could get one on one
instruction with a fully qualified native speaker teacher for $10 US per hour. I found doing 2-3 hours of
lessons in the mornings and spending the rest of the day practising with native speakers, reading
newspapers and doing private study improved my skills very quickly.

I learnt Indonesian at school and university so I'm not up to speed in which self study materials are best.
However, I have had a look at what Colloquial has to offer and it is quite impressive. If you start with that and
a reference grammar like the one written by James Sneddon you should advance pretty quickly to the point
where you can read and listen to native material with a reasonable level of understanding.

The helpful thing about learning Indonesian is that the straightforward grammar and the large number of
English/Dutch loan words means that you can get into reading newspaper articles and novels relatively
quickly. Beware, though, that there is a massive difference between the stuffy formal language and the
language used on the street - this is the flip side to having a relatively simple formal register.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version